• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Best 30-06" currently made?

Quicksilver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
College Station, TX
Just out of curiousity, who has the "best" (in terms of accuracy) 30-06 currently in production? Ive heard the Rem 700 Sendero thrown around, but haven't seen any published specs on it.

Im looking to fill a gap of a bolt action rifle in the 200-600 yard range to "mount" on the 4wheeler. I would likely spend about <1,600 on the rifle and <1,100 on the scope. Would prefer a wooden stock if possible and a stainless barrel. (not because they are shiny, but because I hate chrome lined barrels!) I can have it phosphorus coated if it is too brilliant.

Would prefer something lightweight, as the misses will be using it as well. We currently have a Rossi single shot 30-06 but honestly, its about as accurate as throwing a rock. Terrible grouping at 100 yards (3") and almost worthless beyond. However, it is light!

Re: "Best 30-06" currently made?

Sendero 30-06? Never heard of it.

I don't know of any production 30-06 notorious for great accuracy.

With a $1600 budget on the rifle alone, I'd be really tempted to buy a Winchester M70 Sporter and have a qualified 'smith true the action and screw on a custom barrel with the contour & length of your choosing. That would be one hell of a fine hunting rifle. JMHO of course though.

-Dylan

For something accurate to bounce around on a four-wheeler, might as well get a 700 SPS Tactical in 308, or something similar, and a budget scope like an SS 10X. Commercial 175gr match, and go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuickSilver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiousity, who has the "best" (in terms of accuracy) 30-06 currently in production? Ive heard the Rem 700 Sendero thrown around, but haven't seen any published specs on it.

Im looking to fill a gap of a bolt action rifle in the 200-600 yard range to "mount" on the 4wheeler. I would likely spend about <1,600 on the rifle and <1,100 on the scope. Would prefer a wooden stock if possible and a stainless barrel. (not because they are shiny, but because I hate chrome lined barrels!) I can have it phosphorus coated if it is too brilliant.

Would prefer something lightweight, as the misses will be using it as well. We currently have a Rossi single shot 30-06 but honestly, its about as accurate as throwing a rock. Terrible grouping at 100 yards (3") and almost worthless beyond. However, it is light! </div></div>

There's no such thing as a Rem Sendero in 30-06.

You do realize that a chrome-moly barrel DOES NOT mean that it is chrome lined?

I do not know your specific reasons for needing 30-06, but I can tell you that you will drastically increase your options by going .308 in both rifles and ammo without sacrificing much in the performance dept.

Also for the wife, you may wont to consider some type or muzzle brake rather than just making the rifle super light, which will actually increase the felt recoil for her.

Did NOT know that- I was led to believe that any 4130, 4140 or 4150 barrel HAD to be chrome lined- is this not true?
Also, isn't chrome-moly just a fancy way of saying it has a chrome lining with a molybdenium coating on top?

Also, the sendero is a Remington 700 with a fancy name attached. Their website may be wrong on the 30-06 availability.

Get the cheapest Rem700 30-06 or 270 win you can find. Look at pawn shops. Get yourself a heavy sporter 1/10 30 cal barrel from a top barrel maker. Have a gunsmith true it up to the new barrel and tune up the trigger as well. You should be able to come in under budget.

if 600 is all you're going for, a 308 will do the trick....also, Less recoil, more choice in rifles and ammunition, better resale. But if you just have to have an 06, get a rem 700 sporter or Savage and have it rebarreld as mentioned above.

I do currently have a 308, and I know the 30-06 is the exact same bullet with a longer action- I was just curious what was out there, as I hardly see anyone shooting that round anymore. I guess the 308 really "replaced" that round- however, I do love the heavier bullet weights available with a 30-06. Also, the Sako is beautiful- I was contemplating buying a Sako TRG42 in woodland from eurooptic. Absolutely fantastic rifle.

The .30-06 is still one of the finest long range calibers ever produced. I shoot a Winchester stainless Model 70 that has kept me in Elk meat for decades. Knocks them right off their hooves.

If you have $1600 to spend go this route....

R700 Action $400 or less
HS precision Stock $350 +/- Less if you find used
Good barrel $300-$500 depending on options (flutes, maker, etc)
Smithing cost $250-$750 depending on options chosen.

you can skip the '06 and go 300WM and get a Rem 5R for around 1,000-1100

The possibilities are endless but the best money at $1600 would be have one built.

Checking into E R Shaw. Not a true custom but you can choose what you want for a stock, action, barrel length and twist. Half down pay the rest when its done.

Love my rem.700 been bustin lava rocks and killing game sence I get it when I was 14. Solid shooter to 600+, only thing done was crown barrel and trigger work.

I have a GAP built R700 in 30-06AI Barreled action that I would be tempted to let go of. It has a 24" Rock Creek 1:10 twist barrel. I built it for hunting and rarely get time to shoot it. Might go a long way towards your goal. Shoot me a PM if interested. I have good dies and plenty of Lapua fireformed brass to go with it. Basically a plug and play set up.

I sold off the stock and most of the virgin brass but still have plenty of fireformed.

3006ai.jpg

Remington 40X, Remington Custom shop lists three twist rates (your option), never seen a 40X that wouldn't shoot.

For $1600, definitely start with a donor rem700 action (<$400), add a barrel of your choice and true the action ($850), a B&C stock ($250), and tune the trigger ($50-100). Right there you have a custom built hunting rifle that will shoot lights out with a reputable gunsmith doing the work.

Seems to me .308 ammo would be hard to find with the panic going on and most everybody buying a .308 rifle.

I have a 30/06 with plenty of brass.

Kind of different, but I have a couple of Cooper rifles that shoot lights out