• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Best" .308 Win. LR-rifle for max. 5 grant?

Well, it´s on you.
A premium barrel costs as much as a good rifle.

Because the barrel is registered, you have to let it be destroyed by a gun smith and he writes you a proof about that, or you can bring it to the local authority which will do it for you for free.

For a bolt action that you own already, you can then go and buy a new barrel with the procedure described above.

For a semi-auto or a handgun, shooting with rounds, it is a different story.
There you have first to make an application (which is a story for itself, but would bust this post), then, after some weeks, you might get a permission from the authority which is valid for one year, and buy a barrel or the gun you have the permission for.
After buying it, you have to register it in no later than 2 weeks at the authorities into you "Waffenbesitzkarte" (weapon possesing card).
Looks like Bartleins new super secret barrel material might be the way to go for semi's over there.

What bullet drop will he have to deal with, or better, which elevation (mount + scope) should he look for?

Just curious, you don’t need to tell me, but what are the going prices for a AIAT, TRG 22 or Custom rifle where your at. Does 5 grand (100 grants) even touch these rifles over there?

Why shouldn´t I?

Prices are in Euro.
There are no custom taxes, because Finland and England (yet) are still in the EUdSSR.

But guys, when I see what your ammo prices are, or what an AR15 costs in the US, and so on, I would have double the weapons and shoot all day long.
:love:

Reactions: hafejd30
I know why. I block incoming traffic from outside the US on my firewall. You should be able to see them now.

Well, no, same error as before.

But on the other hand, if those boomsticks are as beautiful as the buddy mentioned inhere, maybe I wouldn´t like you then anymore after seeing them.
:LOL:

Reactions: stello1001
I just decided to upload it rather than trying to host it myself in the original post....fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
Barrel length, and how far did you drive it?
Bullet might be from interest as well ...
:whistle:

The question was twist, however, to answer your question: 26 inch barrel (with AI muzzle brake), bullets are 185s travelling approx. 2686 ft/s and I shoot out to 1000 yards

Reactions: Jayjay1
The question was twist, however, to answer your question: 26 inch barrel (with AI muzzle brake), bullets are 185s travelling approx. 2686 ft/s and I shoot out to 1000 yards

Yeah, twist in the first place, than speed (barrel length) and bullet.

185gr. in an 1:12, well, I think I will burn my books.
Thank you.

Yeah, twist in the first place, than speed (barrel length) and bullet.

185gr. in an 1:12, well, I think I will burn my books.
Thank you.
This is mine (in fact so is the RPR in 6.5CM), but now with a thumbhole conversion.

From the AI website, 1:12 is their standard:

Attachments

• AI AT.JPG
    AI AT.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 38
Why shouldn´t I?

Prices are in Euro.
There are no custom taxes, because Finland and England (yet) are still in the EUdSSR.

But guys, when I see what your ammo prices are, or what an AR15 costs in the US, and so on, I would have double the weapons and shoot all day long.
:love:
Just so you know, there are German enclaves in Texas. Hell, 25 years ago, you could walk down mainstreet in Fredericksburg, and people were still speaking German. Best beirgartens in the State, probably the US, back then...

Another vote for an AIAT. I’d ring the supplier to see if they can provide the barrel you want if the factory one isn’t to your liking. When I bought my AX they were able to supply it with the 26” 6.5cm barrel I wanted without difficulty or extra cost in place of the standard 308.

Another vote for an AIAT. I’d ring the supplier to see if they can provide the barrel you want if the factory one isn’t to your liking. When I bought my AX they were able to supply it with the 26” 6.5cm barrel I wanted without difficulty or extra cost in place of the standard 308.

I am waiting for a 6.5CM barrel for my AT. It does seem a popular swap.

seems like he would want 1:11.25 twist if he wants to be able to use really heavy bullets, or does the barrel length make up for it?

Ok guys, decision made, it will be a TRG 22!

With heavy bullets on a 1.000yds, what elevation will he be facing, or which recording angle mount should he go for?
(y)

I am not sure what you are asking here, but Spuhr makes a sweet direct mount for the TRG.

Good choice on the rifle. My TRG22 is my favourite rifle.

I am not sure what you are asking here, but Spuhr makes a sweet direct mount for the TRG.

I don´t know the correct term, but for this caliber and distance, the mount should be angled in my opinion, 20 MOA, more?

That´s what I want to know.

What bullet drop will he have to deal with, or better, which elevation (mount + scope) should he look for?

So you and him know absolutely nothing about ballistics, but are dropping 3 - 5 thousand Euros at least into a rifle plus another couple thousands into scope/mounting/accessories?

I think your time online is better spent learning how to use a ballistics calculator/solver instead of asking questions that take a significant amount of our time and effort to answer in any useful way.

I think that putting in the effort by yourself first, then asking questions for clarity shows a lot more respect. What you're asking comes across to me as "I'm in a hurry, fuck doing the work and just give me the answer"

Start here: http://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

I know some, but have no idea how much the bullet drop of a heavy 308 over this distances will be.

I don´t have a 308 LR rifle.

I know some, but have no idea how much the bullet drop of a heavy 308 over this distances will be.

Drop at 1000 meters with Scenar L 175 grain bullets are 13.5 MILs with my TRG22.
You dont really need a canted mount when you use modern scopes, most have around 25-28MIL of vertical travel or more as it is, so even with a flat base you will probably have enough elevation on tap. Then you can hold off with your reticle.
But check out Spuhrs ISMS for the TRG. Its nice.

Last edited:

Then go and find out. I gave you the tools to do it.

Better yet, MAKE your friend find out for himself.

Drop at 1000 meters with Scenar L 175 grain bullets are 13.5 MILs with my TRG22.

Thank you.

I know Spuhrs, had one on my Tikka.
Yet I´m having an Eratac and it is the same quality-wise, but has a bit a nicer finish.
But both are sturdy and exact.

Reactions: Vargmat
Just so you know, there are German enclaves in Texas. Hell, 25 years ago, you could walk down mainstreet in Fredericksburg, and people were still speaking German. Best beirgartens in the State, probably the US, back then...
Yep, I’m a member of the oldest continuous shooting club in the nation, the New Braunfels Schuetzen Verein.
F33BA82A-04E6-4522-8B11-4349F53BB0F4.jpeg

Last edited:

175gr SMK at 1000 yards was 11.4mils for me. Scopes have enough travel. Now optical quality does drop as you reach the edges of your scope. If you only plan on shooting at 1000+ yards, then it's worth getting a canted base so you could be closer to the center. For my uses shooting PRS, doing drills at 100, etc. I'm fine with just a 20moa cant, this leaves me with about 19.5mils of adjustment left meaning I'm closer to the center of my scope clarity for majority of my work.

Thank you.

I know Spuhrs, had one on my Tikka.
Yet I´m having an Eratac and it is the same quality-wise, but has a bit a nicer finish.
But both are sturdy and exact.

But they dont seem to have a direct mount for the Tikka/TRG rifles?
All ERA-TAC mounts ive seen are for picatinny rails, and getting a picatinnyrail for the TRG is anoter 100-150€ (at least in Swedish prices).

But they dont seem to have a direct mount for the Tikka/TRG rifles?
All ERA-TAC mounts ive seen are for picatinny rails, and getting a picatinnyrail for the TRG is anoter 100-150€ (at least in Swedish prices).

Ok, thanks, didn´t know it has no pica an top.

175gr SMK at 1000 yards was 11.4mils for me. Scopes have enough travel. Now optical quality does drop as you reach the edges of your scope. If you only plan on shooting at 1000+ yards, then it's worth getting a canted base so you could be closer to the center. For my uses shooting PRS, doing drills at 100, etc. I'm fine with just a 20moa cant, this leaves me with about 19.5mils of adjustment left meaning I'm closer to the center of my scope clarity for majority of my work.

Pretty much the same here for me with my Tikka 595 in .308.

You ought to look for an "in Country" Accuracy International dealer and ask them about an AT or AX and barrel swaps. That expression "you don't know what you don't know" might apply. Nice thing about an AI here is that for about $750, you're switching barrels. (+ plus brass, bullets, powders, dies, modified case, etc)

@Jayjay1 Here is the photo you were not able to see..

Ha!
Now there you have it, I don´t like you anymore .... :cool:

No, seriously, fantastic collection, I´m jealous.
They all seem to be more or less multi purpose rifles, not LR or ELR only from the setups.
I like that.

Moving to Switzerland, yes, that was the plan 4 years ago, which isn´t to easy because of the somewhat higher incomes in Switzerland, they don´t take everyone.
I could have a job, but my wife won´t leave her family here and it takes years to get a permanent residence permit there.

In this time our children grew up and I didn´t want to let them alone here, while I´m in the Suisse.
Now my daughter is 20 and my son 18, two or three years and they stand on their own feet.
I´m over 50 now and will see whatever the future may bring.

Reactions: sinister
You ought to look for an "in Country" Accuracy International dealer and ask them about an AT or AX and barrel swaps. That expression "you don't know what you don't know" might apply. Nice thing about an AI here is that for about $750, you're switching barrels. (+ plus brass, bullets, powders, dies, modified case, etc)

Like I wrote above, my friend decided to go with the Sako TRG 22.

Finally I want to thank the community inhere for the great support and infos!

I highly appreciate it and want to thank you in the name of my friend, the upcoming TRG owner, too.
🍺

I've had such good luck with SIG 3000s I bought 5. Same action as the STR & need no gunsmith, the shooter can adjust anything. I got barrel adapters from Geoff when he owned Border barrels but there is a barrel maker here in the U.S. that has adapters. Best bolt action rifles I've ever shot. I paid $1599ea & got 2 mags per rifle.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I know some, but am not an expert in this subject.

So, a friend wants to join the LR game and fortunately for him, money isn´t his biggest problem.
He wants to have only one LR-rifle (because he is a pistol competitor and a hunter as well) and he wants it in .308 Winchester (that is set, pls no discussion about that).

This - up to - 5 grant .308 Winchester rifle should go safely (supersonic) to 1.000yds.

Which rifle would you recommend to your friend?
Assuming you mean up to $5 grand??? Unclear what that must cover. If $5k for rifle, optic, accessories, then go Ruger RPR ($1k) or Tikka T3x TAC A1 ($1300-1400 street cost).....barrel from same machines as Sako TRG.....or Masterpiece Arms ($2-2.5k depending model)....or Sako TRG-22 ($3k). Don't cut corners on scope.......focus on durability/robustness/repeatability/accurate turrets over glass for 1k yds. Buy once; cry once; happy ever after. If $5k for bare rifle, with some luck and happy hunting, you could probably pick up a change barrel Barrett MRAD....especially earlier version..be sure it is a small breech....above about 1100 S/N. You can $4995 MSRP a MRAD SMR...Single Mission Rifle,......non-change barrel/fixed stock (actually a renamed discontinued M98)....but that last $1150 for the full tilt MRAD is the best return of all those dollars spent. There are happier calibers, but 308Win is often considered King for perfecting ballistic and wind proficiency....and more cost effective = more rounds launched. I just today received a new barrel for one of mine...308W 24" fluted 1:8 twist to spin up some long, heavy-for-caliber pills. Once the younguns learn to bend the wind and launch the lob, they'll move to other calibers. If NIB, especially if other than 308W caliber....6.5CM,338LP, 300/338NM etc, sell the original barrel (or keep if affordable), and order barrel as mentioned from Barrett.....paid $1174 all in delivered with 1 "C" mag.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So, a friend wants to join the LR game and fortunately for him, money isn´t his biggest problem.
He wants to have only one LR-rifle (because he is a pistol competitor and a hunter as well) and he wants it in .308 Winchester (that is set, pls no discussion about that).

This - up to - 5 grant .308 Winchester rifle should go safely (supersonic) to 1.000yds.

SAKO TRG 22 in 308!

You'll love it. Shoots with rigs costing 3 time as much. I have! Best of luck.

Hey guys,

I had good luck with a CZ using 168 grain HP BT match king with Lapua small primer brass and 44 grains of Varget powder.

Well, not me, but my friend did, yes.
It is a TRG22 in 308 with the 26" barrel in black.
Green or desert tan costs about 800 Euro extra. :oops:

We´ve mounted the scope two days ago, a Steiner M7Xi with a Spuhr mount.

What I´m writing now is only just my personal meaning, based on my experiences in the top-end rifle game, which are very small.

The rifle itself seems to be very rugged.
The stock seems a bit wide and a bit short at the foreend to me, the barrel is massive.

But maybe that´s only me, comparing it to my Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo (with extended foreend).
The Bravo is more narrow at the front, gripping it there feels pretty good to me.
And after mounting the about 4" extended bipod mount, the Bravo seems to lay more relaxed to me, so I never would go back there.

Right now he is loading for it and next week we will give it a shot (or two).
He got the 175 Bergers.

He has two Strasser for hunting which is his standard, and honestly for the money the TRG is qualitywise not on the same level, but very close to it.
The overall finish and the smoothness on the action can´t compete there, but finally only the target will tell the truth.
🍺

Reactions: secm
Well, not me, but my friend did, yes.
It is a TRG22 in 308 with the 26" barrel in black.
Green or desert tan costs about 800 Euro extra. :oops:

We´ve mounted the scope two days ago, a Steiner M7Xi with a Spuhr mount.

What I´m writing now is only just my personal meaning, based on my experiences in the top-end rifle game, which are very small.

The rifle itself seems to be very rugged.
The stock seems a bit wide and a bit short at the foreend to me, the barrel is massive.

But maybe that´s only me, comparing it to my Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo (with extended foreend).
The Bravo is more narrow at the front, gripping it there feels pretty good to me.
And after mounting the about 4" extended bipod mount, the Bravo seems to lay more relaxed to me, so I never would go back there.

Right now he is loading for it and next week we will give it a shot (or two).
He got the 175 Bergers.

He has two Strasser for hunting which is his standard, and honestly for the money the TRG is qualitywise not on the same level, but very close to it.
The overall finish and the smoothness on the action can´t compete there, but finally only the target will tell the truth.
🍺
I have a strasser in 308 and can atest to how amazing they are. also have an ai axsr. both amazing in their own rights. different tools in the toolbox.

Last edited:
Tikka action. High quality barrel attached. Chassis of choice. Move on.