• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .338 Lapua Magnum under $2000?

aoisdff8a7ytuigh

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
United States
Hey forum,

A while ago I took an interest in long range shooting/long range hunting. I bought my first rifle that would have been better than the old .30-06 that I used to use. It was a 7mm Rem Mag, and still performs great out to about 1100 yards, pulling off Sub-MOA shots for me. Past that, the wind starts to toy with the 162-180 grain ELD Match and ELD-X bullets a little too much for my liking, resulting in inconsistent shots.

I heard about the .338 Lapua a while ago, but it was never something I really thought I needed, until I decided that I wanted to try to shoot out to 1500-2000 yards with consistent results (MOA - Sub-MOA) at those distances. I already have a good idea of the optic that I want for the rifle, but I don't actually know a good rifle for this purpose, because the 7mm Rem Mag I have is a Howa 1500, so it's not really a "tactical" gun like some of the big .338 LM's I've heard of are.

I plan to stick with the ELD Match and ELD-X Bullets, and I heard the 270 Grain bullets work really well. So if anyone has any good rifle suggestions under $2000, I'd love to look at them.

Thanks

Sounds to me like you need more trigger time and wind reading practice, not a bigger cartridge. 7RM with the right bullets is more than capable of doing 1500+ yards. Putting some upgrades into your 7RM (Higher quality, heavier barrel, stock, etc depending on what you have now) might also be a good option, but honestly I'd say go the opposite direction - get a 6.5 Creedmoor and a pile of ammo.

honestly I'd say go the opposite direction - get a 6.5 Creedmoor and a pile of ammo.
I would agree with this in the sense of more trigger time, self training etc. it is much cheaper than a magnum to shoot but my 7mm rem mag bucks the wind much better than my 6.5 creedmoor ever thought about.

Reactions: Krazy_jim
Budget at .338LM don't really belong together for the most part.
If you are concerned about the .338LM only being $2k you might find shooting it gets more than you budget can handle pretty quickly.

For what you want to do, I would suggest a .300 PRC which will be a lot cheaper to feed and still do target shooting at the distances you want.

You may be better off if you don’t want to stick with the 7mm rem mag just to re barrel your rifle to a 300 win or something of that sort to get into the 230 grain bullet sizes, you would have much better luck going ELR for sure.

I would agree with this in the sense of more trigger time, self training etc. it is much cheaper than a magnum to shoot but my 7mm rem mag bucks the wind much better than my 6.5 creedmoor ever thought about.

Your point on wind was mine as well - 6.5 isn't as good in wind as a 7RM (assuming you're not using some kind of blunt nosed bullet and/or poor velocities in the RM), but it is a lot cheaper to shoot and will have better barrel life. Lower ammo cost and longer barrel life means more trigger time and more practice in the wind, which is what OP really needs.

Reactions: Friday
I plan to stick with the ELD Match and ELD-X Bullets, and I heard the 270 Grain bullets work really well. So if anyone has any good rifle suggestions under $2000, I'd love to look at them.

Savage.

VooDoo