• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

best 500-800 yrd rifel turn key in your opinion

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
been told the dmps is the best turn key for 800-1000 yrds but that from a guy i don't know how much he knows and as far as a stock for my savage 10 5r the bolt action guy said the guy might not know much about long range so what do you think??

Re: best 500-800 yrd rifel turn key in your opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">been told the dmps is the best turn key for 800-1000 yrds but that from a guy i don't know how much he knows and as far as a stock for my savage 10 5r the bolt action guy said the guy might not know much about long range so what do you think?? </div></div>

What exactly is it that you are asking?

Not trying to jump you...but punctuation is pretty helpful bud. As for which, it really depends on your budget.

budget about 1500.00 and sorry on punctuation typing on iPhone lol sorry at meeting at work i got my 300-500 yr gun a s&w 1-9 twist leo model, does ok at 500 anything past that might as well give her up, don't want to g and rip her apart she a good looking set up.

so im asking in a professional opinion is their a out of the box ar style 500-800 yrd gun out of box that could reach 1000 yrds if slightly modified but looking at 500-800 at this moment. i shoot at a 800 yrd kd range

respectfully

If that's you budget forget the dpms and get the armalite AR10T....gun has proven itself time and again

I have an Armalite AR-10T 24" barrel, and I shoot 20" x 36" steel silhouettes out to 1000 yds w/ Hornady 168gr amax match ammo. Aside from sticking a scope and bipod on it the only change I've made is installing a Magpul PRS stock. Everything else is 100% from the factory, out of the box, stock. They list them for around $1900 but I came across mine at a gun show & got into it for $1400. So it may take some searching, but if you come across one & snap it up I doubt you'll regret it.

If you want a 308 AR for 1500 or less I'd say get a tactical machining lower (they are in deland and having a sale on their completed lowers right now, 250 for lower + parts kit installed also I think they have stripped dpms 308 uppers in stock). Once you have a completed lower you can shop around for whatever upper you want or build your own (the best option).

If you want to just open the box and have a rifle then maybe the dpms 18" or 24" bull barreled rifles or look for a deal on a SASS or Mk12 rifle. Lots of people here talk about 16" or shorter barrels but in my experience unless you can afford a match barrel you won't get the velocity you need out of anything under 18, and 18 will be borderline.

Also there is a CMMG-branded rifle for sale in the CDNN catalog for 1400, it looks like it has a CMMG lower with a DPMS SASS upper and a magpul PRS stock. For the price it looks very tempting.

edit: if you want to go the Armalite route (Armalites use different magazines than DPMS) 762SASS.com usually has the 20" national match uppers for 1k and completed lowers for 500 or so. That rifle would also do what you are asking.

good info think im going to make a trip to florida gun exchange and talk to them the local shop gives good deals but the info i dont know makes my gut what to slap-a-hoe

BravoCompanyUSA SS Barreled 18inch Upper with Troy rail on the lower of your choice, pick a good trigger and scope. 77gr 223 ammo for accuracy, 556 loading when you want a little more umph.

That's the budget pick, lots of ways to go if you are willing to spend a few hundred more.

If pure accuracy for dollars is what you are looking for, you can't beat a .308 Bolt gun, a Remington 700 will give you the most options.