• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 7.62mm Semi Automatic Sniper Rifle

Re: Best 7.62mm Semi Automatic Sniper Rifle

+1 on what BCP said. If the RRA won't accept the PRS, I think the ACS or UBR will be your options. I haven't used the RRA triggers but some guys really seem to like them. I'm partial to the SSA-E but to each their own.

A "sniper" rifle needs to make hits <span style="font-style: italic">consistently</span> at 800 to 1000 yds and do it on factory ammo. I bet many of the platforms mentioned are pretty good inside 600 but would fall short once taken out to the max effective range of the cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A "sniper" rifle needs to make hits <span style="font-style: italic">consistently</span> at 800 to 1000 yds and do it on factory ammo.</div></div>I disagree. Consistent hits are impossible to guarantee at 800, no matter what the platform. There is no requirement for consistent hits at 800 and there never has been.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet many of the platforms mentioned are pretty good inside 600 but would fall short once taken out to the max effective range of the cartridge. </div></div>Everything begins to fall short at its maximum effective range, that's one reason it's called the maximum effective range. A .308 semi is used as a primary in urban combat and a secondary in the plains/mountains. Therefore its role is either to own 600 yards and in, or to support a larger caliber system when engagement ranges begin to approach 800-1000.

A 16" Gap10 goes to 800 a hell of a lot better than the overpriced EMC.

A Sniper Graduate of US Army Sniper School had better be able to make consistent hits out to 800 barring effects of weather that are not controllable. We made hits to 1200 with an M24, but were tested on 800 and in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Sniper Graduate of US Army Sniper School had better be able to make consistent hits out to 800 barring effects of weather that are not controllable. </div></div>No hits are ever made barring the effects of weather.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We made hits to 1200 with an M24, but were tested on 800 and in.</div></div>Was your pass/fail requirement a first-round hit at 800 with an M24?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Sniper Graduate of US Army Sniper School had better be able to make consistent hits out to 800 barring effects of weather that are not controllable. </div></div>No hits are ever made barring the effects of weather.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We made hits to 1200 with an M24, but were tested on 800 and in.</div></div>Was your pass/fail requirement a first-round hit at 800 with an M24? </div></div>

Our pass fail was somewhere around 700, an unknown distance drill to mil and shoot with an M24
obviously we were not shooting in 40mph winds but in reasonable weather and wind we were graded on shots to 800 and got experience out to 1200 with the M24.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree. Consistent hits are impossible to guarantee at 800, no matter what the platform. There is no requirement for consistent hits at 800 and there never has been. </div></div>

You can't get consistent <span style="font-style: italic">guaranteed</span> hits with a cruise missile either but I think you're getting a little far out of context here. I rarely miss at 800 yards and I don't have "magic" rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything begins to fall short at its maximum effective range, that's one reason it's called the maximum effective range. </div></div>

Ummm...Duh? You simply can't argue that some fall shorter than others though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A .308 semi is used as a primary in urban combat and a secondary in the plains/mountains. Therefore its role is either to own 600 yards and in, or to support a larger caliber system when engagement ranges begin to approach 800-1000</div></div>

Hell I've lost count of the number of times that either myself or my equipment had to operate outside of their roles. Hell...it happened so much that I had actually forgotten at times what my role really was LOL. Either way, I'm the consumer and I define performance, and that definition includes being a half-mile hammer. Some can do it and others can't...plain and simple.

Some of you guys act like stuff never breaks. Name one manufacturer that has never had a failure, or customer service experience where "Murphy" didn't show up.

You can't so stop trying already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCP,
RRA advertises a 1 moa guarantee from their Varmint 308. That is good enough for me. Stainless barrel as well. On building my own. I do not have the resources to do that. I would prefer just to purchase one. The magazine issue with them and as I stated in another reply, the limited options of a stock. I do not like the A-2 stock that comes on it or even the other 2 Rock River offers. Not sure about the trigger on the Rock River 308. Have you heard anything about the triggers? </div></div>

I have an LAR-8 A4 Varmint with a 26" barrel. I have a PRS stock on it, a Leupy Mrk 4 8.5x25, Harris bipod, and an Accu shot mono pod. With Black hills 175 match, it'll shoot .5 w/o much effort. I'm no shooter, this is just an easy platform to shoot well. I have become use to the RRA trigger, and I have put it in my other AR platform guns. This is not a gun you would want to carry around much, but from the truck to the bench, isn't too far. Magazines are no longer an issue as RRA is currently (as of this week) shipping their own 20 rnd Pmags.

Newtrick,
Good info. Thanks for that. I have another RRA and am really leaning towards getting the one like you have. Dont know if I want the 26 inch or 20 inch. So what about that PRS stock? From what I have read on here, it wont work without modifications, what did you do to get it to work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newtrick,
Good info. Thanks for that. I have another RRA and am really leaning towards getting the one like you have. Dont know if I want the 26 inch or 20 inch. So what about that PRS stock? From what I have read on here, it wont work without modifications, what did you do to get it to work? </div></div>

It's been several years since I appointed that rifle, but I think I purchased a specific tube from RRA. You could give them a call, and they could answer that for you in short order. Building this gun up, I was astonished at what I ended up with for the price. I bought the gun alone for under $1300. If you want to shoot long range with it, take the plunge for the 26". Then, spend your money on glass and ammo.

Newtrick,
Thanks again. I should be able to have enough dough to get the rock river 26. I may or may not have good glass when I get the rifle. I have a 6x24 vortex viper on another gun that I could possibly use. I really want that prs stock on the rifle. I will give RRA a call this week and see what they tell me. What was your process for breaking in the barrel on your RRA 308?

Best custom/prototype/one of a kind snipa rifle eva!!!

IMG_0118.jpg

It's so lEEt we can't even let you see the whole thing!!

Good looking weapon Lonewolf. Would like to have that in my arsenal. In the sale/save mode as I type this so i can build/purchase an ar-308. got alot of useful info off of here to think about for my purchase. Thanks to all.

I have the 20" RR LAR-8 Varmint. It's great ! I put the 2.5x10 Vortex Viper PST on it . I liked it so much that I ordered a RR National Match !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newtrick,
Thanks again. I should be able to have enough dough to get the rock river 26. I may or may not have good glass when I get the rifle. I have a 6x24 vortex viper on another gun that I could possibly use. I really want that prs stock on the rifle. I will give RRA a call this week and see what they tell me. What was your process for breaking in the barrel on your RRA 308? </div></div>

You know, I wasn't too anal about it. You can read all kinds of procedures on this site written by people that know far more than I ever will. I use high quality ammunition, mostly match. To break in the barrel, I believe I shot a round followed by a few patches till 10. Then shot a few rounds followed by a few patches up to about 50. Now I shoot 20 to 50 in a shooting and clean lightly. They say more barrels are damaged by cleaning that shooting. I keep that in mind. I use a light hand, and of course work from the breach.

No love for the FNAR? Actually it's too darn heavy lol. I shot a buck at 450 yds this season and did not want to carry the rifle with me to get the deer. I know the FNAR is about 10lbs with ammo, how do some of these other rifle compare?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGTBrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for the FNAR? Actually it's too darn heavy lol. I shot a buck at 450 yds this season and did not want to carry the rifle with me to get the deer. I know the FNAR is about 10lbs with ammo, how do some of these other rifle compare? </div></div>

The rifle in my signature line below this post weighs 18lbs with a full magazine. The rifle alone without any attachments and an empty magazine, weighs 10-11lbs.

Im also shooting a dpms sass. Not for comps but for fun and hunting. Very happy with its accuracy and preformance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGTBrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for the FNAR? Actually it's too darn heavy lol. I shot a buck at 450 yds this season and did not want to carry the rifle with me to get the deer. I know the FNAR is about 10lbs with ammo, how do some of these other rifle compare? </div></div>

Weight has nothing to do with why I don't like the FNAR.

To start with, I don't like the ergonomics. If you don't like anything about the rifle, you are stuck with it. There aren't any replacement stocks, grips, triggers, etc. Stripping it is nowhere near as simple a task as an AR based system. Accuracy can be hit or miss. I have not tested a large enough sample on my own terms to say for sure.

As to the weight of my systems. The rifle I posted above is 16 lbs as it sits, with an empty magazine. 20 rounds of .308 adds about two pounds. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't that bad because they system is well balanced. I shoot it slung, offhand from time to time and don't have much of a problem.

Ugh, a lot of wading through this one. I don't think anyone mentioned the new Colt SP901, which I am waiting to see how it performs. For $2,000 that may be a real deal, especially compared to LMT. If the Colt has a bad release, I'll go back to the GAP option, since I appreciate the choice of barrels (and prefer the monolithic upper and KAC/DPMS platform.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weight has nothing to do with why I don't like the FNAR.

To start with, I don't like the ergonomics. If you don't like anything about the rifle, you are stuck with it. There aren't any replacement stocks, grips, triggers, etc. Stripping it is nowhere near as simple a task as an AR based system. Accuracy can be hit or miss. I have not tested a large enough sample on my own terms to say for sure.

As to the weight of my systems. The rifle I posted above is 16 lbs as it sits, with an empty magazine. 20 rounds of .308 adds about two pounds. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't that bad because they system is well balanced. I shoot it slung, offhand from time to time and don't have much of a problem.
</div></div>

I agree, its ugly and its hard to completely strip. But it is very accurate. I like the FNAR Match with the McMillian stock setup but that seems to not be available yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy who bought a Gap10, and has had to send it back twice so far....Gap has the rifle more than he does...</div></div>

Still waiting to hear more than a "I've got a buddy..."

What are the details? I'd like to let George know so he can chime in.</div></div>

You and I both, Mike. I don't believe for a minute that a GAP rifle would be so problematic that it would spend more time in the shop than at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHN747</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ask yourself this question. What two American made semi auto rifles are right now in front line service.

1. Knights Armament SR-25 AKA M110
2. LMT MWS 308 AKA L129A1

Any other questions?</div></div>

Yeah, and they're on the front lines because they had the lowest bidding contract. That in no way means the rifles you mentioned are superior to any of the others mentioned in this topic or, that they're the best '7.62 semi-automatic sniper rifle'. </div></div>

KAC the low Bidder?Doubtful. I find that one hard to believe. Do you have any idea how much they sell to .gov for?

However, DHN made an excellent point, the KAC and LMT are the only AR10's issued to the military. OF course KAC has been selling 10's to military for quite some time and possibly longer than most of the other mfg have been around.. I always hear talk of Colt this Colt that because they are military issue, well there you go, lol. Is my RRA military issue
wink.gif

IMO the AR platform is so inherently accurate that I can't see a problem with any gun mentioned. But that FD for $10k with no real history? whatever.

No one mentioned Noveske, another great entry.

I am shocked the piston vs DI issue hasn't come up yet in this thread,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stellite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy who bought a Gap10, and has had to send it back twice so far....Gap has the rifle more than he does...</div></div>

Still waiting to hear more than a "I've got a buddy..."

What are the details? I'd like to let George know so he can chime in.</div></div>

You and I both, Mike. I don't believe for a minute that a GAP rifle would be so problematic that it would spend more time in the shop than at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHN747</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ask yourself this question. What two American made semi auto rifles are right now in front line service.

1. Knights Armament SR-25 AKA M110
2. LMT MWS 308 AKA L129A1

Any other questions?</div></div>

Yeah, and they're on the front lines because they had the lowest bidding contract. That in no way means the rifles you mentioned are superior to any of the others mentioned in this topic or, that they're the best '7.62 semi-automatic sniper rifle'. </div></div>

KAC the low Bidder?Doubtful. I find that one hard to believe. Do you have any idea how much they sell to .gov for?

However, DHN made an excellent point, the KAC and LMT are the only AR10's issued to the military. OF course KAC has been selling 10's to military for quite some time and possibly longer than most of the other mfg have been around.. I always hear talk of Colt this Colt that because they are military issue, well there you go, lol. Is my RRA military issue
wink.gif

IMO the AR platform is so inherently accurate that I can't see a problem with any gun mentioned. But that FD for $10k with no real history? whatever.

No one mentioned Noveske, another great entry.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I am shocked the piston vs DI issue hasn't come up yet in this thread,</span> </div></div>

It just did, and you brought it up.
wink.gif

Greater inherent accuracy compared to what exactly? Lowlight compared the GAP-10 (DI) against a POF 308 (gas piston) and the results were 3/8 moa for the GAP and just under 1/2 for the POF.

With those numbers, both being under half moa, I'd hardly consider the DI to have "greater inherent accuracy".

I was just joking, I truly didn't expect that debate to start. If you want a piston gun, get a FAL
wink.gif

Well, it makes sense to me lol, but I dunno. That's a pretty small sample size though, don't you think? I don't see why a gas piston couldn't be designed to allow the barrel to be equally free-floated. Actually, I completely take that back, generalizations are bad (inaccurate). But when comparing, say an AK and AR (a useless comparison IMO), the AK has a lot more restriction on the barrel. But I don't see why with modern tech, the piston system couldn't be secured to something other than the barrel, such as a monolithic type of structure.

I would feel comfortable saying that any design which creates additional restriction on the barrel, will be bad for accuracy. Right?

But any conclusions should only be applied to specific designs, or maybe specific kinds of designs. You can't really say one is inherently more accurate than the other. It's not the piston per se, that would account for at least the vast majority of loss in accuracy, it's just the way it's happened to have been implemented historically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greater inherent accuracy compared to what exactly? Lowlight compared the GAP-10 (DI) against a POF 308 (gas piston) and the results were 3/8 moa for the GAP and just under 1/2 for the POF.

With those numbers, both being under half moa, I'd hardly consider the DI to have "greater inherent accuracy". </div></div>

Now don't get angry because you have a POF that's 1/8 less accurate than my GAP-10... It's not the width that's important but the length... <span style="font-weight: bold">*cough*</span> 22" <span style="font-weight: bold">*cough*</span>

I've not seen the HK417/MR762 mentioned, which is understandable. I just thought I should try to change the subject. I regret starting the DI vs. Piston thing again, Stellite was obviously not serious about having that debate.

HK_417.jpg

So does anyone think if the 417 was available, and I suppose, priced differently - think would it be a contender, purely in the mechanical sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greater inherent accuracy compared to what exactly? Lowlight compared the GAP-10 (DI) against a POF 308 (gas piston) and the results were 3/8 moa for the GAP and just under 1/2 for the POF.

With those numbers, both being under half moa, I'd hardly consider the DI to have "greater inherent accuracy". </div></div>

Now don't get angry because you have a POF that's 1/8 less accurate than my GAP-10... It's not the width that's important but the length... <span style="font-weight: bold">*cough*</span> 22" <span style="font-weight: bold">*cough*</span></div></div>

Ha ha! Hey, you won't catch me complainin'! I like both rifles, and most of the rifles mentioned within this topic, whether they be DI or piston.

The biggest drawback for piston rifles is more moving parts which effects accuracy and the availability of parts if/when something breaks, such as a push rod. It's not something you can pick up at a gun show, so...a person had better purchase an extra or two in the event such a thing ever does occur. Then, you have the whole issue of carrier tilt which POF has remedied that by beefing up the upper top rail.

In relation to the HK rifle, they look pretty sweet. The only HK products I've had the opportunity to handle was the HK 45 and it was a nice piece of hardware.

Why aren't HK rifles as prevalent as some of the others like LMT, Armalite, etc?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greater inherent accuracy compared to what exactly? Lowlight compared the GAP-10 (DI) against a POF 308 (gas piston) and the results were 3/8 moa for the GAP and just under 1/2 for the POF.

Now don't get angry because you have a POF that's 1/8 less accurate than my GAP-10... It's not the width that's important but the length... <span style="font-weight: bold">*cough*</span> 22" <span style="font-weight: bold">*cough*</span></div></div>

Ha ha! Hey, you won't catch me complainin'! I like both rifles, and most of the rifles mentioned within this topic, whether they be DI or piston.

The biggest drawback for piston rifles is more moving parts which effects accuracy and the availability of parts if/when something breaks, such as a push rod. It's not something you can pick up at a gun show, so...a person had better purchase an extra or two in the event such a thing ever does occur. Then, you have the whole issue of carrier tilt which POF has remedied that by beefing up the upper top rail.

In relation to the HK rifle, they look pretty sweet. The only HK products I've had the opportunity to handle was the HK 45 and it was a nice piece of hardware.

Why aren't HK rifles as prevalent as some of the others like LMT, Armalite, etc? </div></div>

I always thought it was because HK is maybe not that interested in selling them to consumers (primarily), so their latest products like the HK417 are unavailable and/or really expensive.

ETA: By "always thought", I guess what I really mean is, "read that on the internet within the last six months".

I guess they get so much money from government sales that the civilian market really isn't a concern/focus for sales.

You always hear that "HK. Because you suck. And we hate you." thing. Well, they <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> a business. This is something it seems enthusiasts (and "fanboys") of all kinds forget, when it comes to their favorite brands (guns, cars, electronics/computers). They aren't even a publicly traded company, so they aren't even simply beholden to their shareholders, to just maximize profits for them.

well to me it's a moot point. I use to be an M1/M14 diehard fan, owned in the teens over the years. I have completely switched over to the AR platform. Whether it's piston or DI or whether it's LMT or LWRC or whatever, doesn't matter to me as long as it's reliable and they usually are. The AR is by far the best platform for 308 yet. The HK does interest me, but it's out of my price range right now.

Either the LMT MWS or LaRue OBR will serve you well.

Both will be reliable and accurate rifles. The MWS also offers you the capability of adding additional barrels in either 6.5 or .260.

Hello, this is my first post on this forum! I am a new owner of a very lightly used POF 308 16", and I am quite pleased with the accuracy and reliability so far. Only couple hundred rounds downrange, various factory ammo, but it looks like the rifle out-shoots my ability most of the time.

Several 300y groups have been .5MOA, and a couple were about an inch, with a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 mounted. 300 yards is all I have access to.

I like the way the rifle runs relatively cool, and seems to dissipate heat quickly. I don't have any other high-end .308 semi's to compare it to, but I happily sold my bolt gun and FAL to buy this one. Don't need either one now that I own the POF.

402293_317080644990631_100000660932397_1085432_1705906957_n.jpg

Why are ppl still posting pix with 3-shot groups on the Hide?
I thought that practice was discredited some time ago?

If you intend to brag on a rifle, post no less than a five-shot string, and <span style="text-decoration: underline">Ten</span> shots are a more reliable indicator when it comes to predicting what a rifle or load is likely capable of.
As In:
ar10target.jpg

That's ~15 rounds at 100yds, (target has 1-inch grid lines)
175gr SMK-moly handloads with once fired commercial brass and RE-15 powder. As the OP asked about 7.62mm Semi Auto rifles, may I present the rifle that punched that paper; an Armalite AR10A4B rifle.

It started life as a standard AR10A4. I sent it to JP Rifles in 2002. I essentially had their JP Performance package done to the rifle, w/o a barrel replacement.

(1) Bennie Cooley Recoil Eliminator
(2) JP Free Float Tube
(3) Cryogenic Barrel Treatment
(4) JP Adjustable Gas System Mod
(5) Tune the {Armalite installed} 2-stage Trigger
(6) PSG Type Grip w/ Palm Rest

I did <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> have the barrel replaced, so it still sports the 20-inch, 1:12 twist, chrome-lined heavy barrel that was standard on Armalite AR10A4's in 1999. (I believe Armalite now calls this profile a medium-weight barrel.)

I'm posting this to say without a doubt, that Armalite rifles are worth looking at.

Sometimes cheaper barrels shoot very well sometimes not. One thing is for sure; no matter what make your "semi auto sniper rifle" choice is odds are it's an AR pattern rifle.

Stretch it out or go home.

GAP-10, mid length 20"
850 yards
10 rounds factory ammo
Wind 3-4 L to R

You can call me daddy
grin.gif

635-g10-850-12-28-11.jpg

I have seen BA shoot groups just like this, in person... At 850. I have no issues if he shot two rounds, and called a group.

Why is 100 yards the standard?

HK can't import long guns for civilian sales in the configurations American's prefer. It has nothing to do with them hating people, even though the customer service at times may seem contrary to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is 100 yards the standard? </div></div>

Not sure where that comes from DM. I know that most ranges are only 100 yds and its arguably a decent benchmark. Although I don't buy into the notion that sub-MOA at 100 necessarily equals sub-MOA at distance, particularly when talking gas guns. I've seen way too many sub-MOA gas guns that can print pretty up close yet spray them at distance.

I was not, in any way, trying to stir the pot, or cause trouble.

I was typing on my phone, and could not elaborate...

I am NO fan of posting groups. I think they are subjective at best... I do, however, love the dot drill of various types, because that gives me a chance to watch the shooter, and fine tune his / her (I don't get many female students)body position behind the rifle, and help them with the fundamentals. It also allows me to see if they can be consistent with the rifle, and be repeatable.

Most people that do not understand the concept ask me a question all the time... "Is that rifle a sub MOA rifle?"

I always ask them, "At what distance, and under what atmospheric conditions?" Shooting tight groups at 100 yards, in my experience... does not equate to the same at extended range. Especially with a gas gun... but, I am, nor will I ever claim to be a great shooter.

There are tons of factors to consider shooting at distance, which all of us that do so, understand. That's why I have never understood why the 100 yard mark, was the standard for accuracy testing. The further out you shoot, the more "one" you have to be with the rifle. After all, the meat sack behind the trigger is the largest variable, is it not?

I have had days, where I shot like a National Champion... then, I've had days where I shot like shit. Same rifle, same ammo, different days. Again, the meat sack behind the trigger.

So, saying all that... I apologize if my above post came as abrasive. The intent was not there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was not, in any way, trying to stir the pot, or cause trouble.</div></div>

I don't know bro...I've seen you in your jeep scaring old ladies and running down bunnies and kittens. Just sayin LOL