• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you can’t see that there are significant quality and product differences between manufacturers and they’re not all the same shit stamped with a different logo then you’re really fucking naive.
I guess I am just really lucky that my "low cost ARs" don't give me any problems and I haven't needed to pay 2-3k for an AR to run for me (and yes I do shoot the shit out of mine they don't sit in the safe). I got a buddy that does have some higher end ARs seems like every time we go shooting he is having to tinker with his high end shit meanwhile I am just banging away with my cheap shit, but I guess I am just lucky.... :unsure:

Not in order
KAC
LMT (haven’t experienced the QC issues I’ve heard about)
Seekins (don’t believe there is a better value available)
Sig - love that they innovate. Again understand the complaints people have had but I’ve had great luck and CS has been awesome
Primary Arms- don’t own any but love the innovation
HK
ADM
JP
Gap

I guess I am just really lucky that my "low cost ARs" don't give me any problems and I haven't needed to pay 2-3k for an AR to run for me (and yes I do shoot the shit out of mine they don't sit in the safe). I got a buddy that does have some higher end ARs seems like every time we go shooting he is having to tinker with his high end shit meanwhile I am just banging away with my cheap shit, but I guess I am just lucky.... :unsure:
Low cost does not mean bad. High cost does not mean high quality
I have been using LMT stuff since before anyone knew poop about them. They used to be inexpensive parts
Tool Craft has excellent rep for BCGs

If I am building a reliable budget AR for a friend I just get them Aero upper and lower. Spend money on a great barrel. If blaster I use chrome lined. If precision I use Novesk SS or other top barrel. The rest I look for blem deals on Geissle triggers, fore ends Use a spike buffer spring and PWS buffer tube. Use the tricks I was taught to assemble. Check headspace and go

If it’s not budget I use Daniel Defense or other upper lowers and non blem parts Change BCG to DD, LMT etc

They always run

The first AR lower I ever bought was a complete LMT Defender 2000 and was really nice. I’m disappointed to hear about their quality issues. I’ve been wanting a MARS H.

Stuff that I’ve used overseas in crappy environments:

Colt - some failures and such but mostly ok, stuff was old and beat up
KAC - rock solid in my experience, both the 5.56 and .308 platforms.
Geissele - everyone seems to love these and they ran so good I went and bought my own
HK - heavy as a brick but reliable
Daniel defense - very few problems, solid guns.
LWRC - no one was a fan of their piston guns, had issues with pistons op rods breaking and supposed tolerance issues. I can collect data from guys but we had a a lot of problems and retired these rifles.

seen guys use sigs and heard conflicting stuff, seems like a love it or hate it thing.

On the civ side I’ve been really impressed with SOLGW, things just run. Simple and reliable. Have a couple and them and my KAC are my go-to’s.

Reactions: 232593
Laugh if you will but from my standpoint, the Aero Precision products have held up for me and the improvements in getting away from using roll pins are great.

Reactions: MTRecon and Bhobbs
SOLGW- attention to detail, crazy warranty, guns run

BCM- anything more expensive really isn’t worth it IMO.

Sure there’s special this and special that but 99.9% of dudes don’t shoot their guns. Look anywhere and you’ll see dudes drop thousands on a KAC and when they go to sell it it’s got 200 rounds down the pipe. Get good with your guns instead of just buying them and looking at them and posting them on IG.

Every forum has a list of favorites. Some forums have “experts” that shoot for this company or that one. Some forums have guys that know more than everyone. God made them tactical intelligent.

If you are military or former military, you made due with a weapon made by the lowest bidder. I thank you for your service.

If you are happy with the performance of your weapon, no matter whose name is on the side you win.

Reactions: Dochs
If you are military or former military, you made due with a weapon made by the lowest bidder. I thank you for your service.
Kind of, bids are awarded based on price and other factors that are advantageous to the government.

To your much more important point, most of the roll marks on M16 A1s were Colt and they worked just fine back in the day. When I saw my son in April and got an armory tour, I still saw a lot of Colt and FN lower and uppers.

Who are the top 5-10 in order? No budget.

This is my list for AR15 producers (or products in the case of Radian), yours may be different. A different product would also produce a different list.

This list was limited by the company options available on the generation tool. So it is not all encompassing, there are omissions.

I did mine in Response to one I saw on Commie-Tube that was utter horse-shit. Obviously there are some here who will think this is utter horse-shit.

My only regret is Bear Creek wasn't in the tool so I could put them at the very bottom.

p3137704284-5.jpg

Last edited:
^ Good list. But I'm more concerned with getting a good barrel and a good trigger. Would a good barrel and trigger on a DD out shoot an LMT with a crappy trigger/barrel?

^ Good list. But I'm more concerned with getting a good barrel and a good trigger. Would a good barrel and trigger on a DD out shoot an LMT with a crappy trigger/barrel?
DD has a good barrel. Lmt has a good barrel. Geissele has a good trigger......

Funny how people list SOLGW as something special. Wonder if they still use rebranded BA barrels?

Reactions: black max
This is my list for AR15 producers (or products in the case of Radian), yours may be different. A different product would also produce a different list.

This list was limited by the company options available on the generation tool. So it is not all encompassing, there are omissions.

I did mine in Response to one I saw on Commie-Tube that was utter horse-shit. Obviously there are some here who will think this is utter horse-shit.

My only regret is Bear Creek wasn't in the tool so I could put them at the very bottom.

p3137704284-5.jpg
This tier list is retarded and shows that you probably don't know who actually manufactures the parts used in half to over half of the companies.

Funny how people list SOLGW as something special. Wonder if they still use rebranded BA barrels?
I don't think any of them are special. There is nothing wrong with sourcing parts and putting together a solid rifle for a reasonable price. It may not be a great comparison but I think of SOLGW as being similar to BCM.

p3137704284-5.jpg
You have owned all these and ran them to faults? Serious question, and if so, I envy you.

Post yours or STFU.
Why bother? Arguing about what AR assemblers (because let's be real, 9/10 of them are mostly assembling or final machining someone else's parts) in 2023 is a complete waste of time. We all know who to buy from. These tier lists are always retarded. You've got one company rated lower than another based on conjecture. Not the quality of the parts. Why is S&W rated lower than Colt? They source their forgings and bolts from the same OEMs lol.

Always interesting to read threads about brands. I have friends that often ask me what AR15 to purchase (folks that are new to the AR platform and know nothing about them but want to learn). In the past I always recommended buying a full assembled rifle from a reputable manufacturer that hopefully will be around in another 15-20 years. Typically I just said to buy a Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 or something like that if that's their price range if they can go that high. Hard to go wrong with that choice and even if they decide to sell it in a few years, it will still be worth a decent amount. These days I add in Geissele on the higher end, SOLGW and sometimes BCM, or even Palmetto State if they are on a tighter budget (mostly because if they have any issues with it, I'm pretty confident that PSA will make it right, plus we are close enough to drive to them if needed).

I love my LMT (older one) and would recommend them still, but the prices are getting a bit much for most recreational people especially once you start to add in optics, sling, mags, ammo, case, etc. etc. Barrel, trigger and BCG are where you need to focus on unless you have specific needs (ambi lower, etc), and are somewhat easy to replace if decide you want to "upgrade" something in the future.

Another fact is that the brands can and will move "up and down" in the chart. Everyone has their own opinion. I'd combine HK's C and D categories, move Ranier and Ruger up a level or two, add PWS into B, etc. etc.

IMHO I think Ruger AR's are under rated. Hammer forged barrels, decent trigger, good QC, good service if there is an issue, etc.

Seekins or ADM
I have 6 ADMs and have been a fan boy of their ambi lowers for a while but if the information about them having Griffin Armament design their lower and then not pay royalties has soured me on the brand. I just recently bought a Griffin Armament lower and am building a 14.5 for the Tactical Games just out of principle. Putting a 14.5 Criterion Core along with an ultra lightweight MI handguard and Razor 1-10x up top.

p3137704284-5.jpg
G with LMT, HK, and KAC? lol c'mon
next line should be products that have SIGNIFICANT mil time i.e Colt, FN,
then maybe CA, G, etc

I'm going to offer a hot take:
The lower really doesn't fucking matter much. Today, I can take a spec lower worth half a fuck with a decent fit and plug in all the ambi-shit one could ever need to run the gun well enough. Most are shoving an aftermarket trigger and preferred furniture in these anyways... Sorry but your ambi bolt release isn't that important.

Short of that, you just have to have the appropriate spring/buffer combo (and the buffer tube to allow it).

The "BEST" (*) is:
sub 11" upper - HK 416 (so long as you didn't get one of the post AG/pre BA QC problem children)
11.5 - KAC
12.5 - Hodge Mod 2
14.5/16 - Take your pick...but I've got a soft spot for some old Hodge mod 1's with DD barrels that are fucking tack-drivers.
16+ - That's SPR territory...pick your poison but be wary of the ebb/flow of mfg's.

It's not a 1-stop-shop for most. We're 20+ years from taking Colt receivers/bcgs, slapping in a Noveske, wrenching on a KAC tube and going to town...We just have more options for better or worse.
Those that make good barrels, might have shit rails. The folks making my receiver sets, might not be making my barrels. While, I may not be able to make a gun as slick as a KAC, Hodge, HK, I can certainly cherry-pick a killer gun together if I know what I'm doing and still have a gun that can run cheap(er) parts than proprietary KAC/HK/LMT bullshit...IF logistics are a concern.

Also, saying it again...LMT hasn't changed...just y'all's opinions/exepctations...

Reactions: Charmingmander
I'm going to offer a hot take:
The lower really doesn't fucking matter much. Today, I can take a spec lower worth half a fuck with a decent fit and plug in all the ambi-shit one could ever need to run the gun well enough. Most are shoving an aftermarket trigger and preferred furniture in these anyways... Sorry but your ambi bolt release isn't that important.

Short of that, you just have to have the appropriate spring/buffer combo (and the buffer tube to allow it).

The "BEST" (*) is:
sub 11" upper - HK 416 (so long as you didn't get one of the post AG/pre BA QC problem children)
11.5 - KAC
12.5 - Hodge Mod 2
14.5/16 - Take your pick...but I've got a soft spot for some old Hodge mod 1's with DD barrels that are fucking tack-drivers.
16+ - That's SPR territory...pick your poison but be wary of the ebb/flow of mfg's.

It's not a 1-stop-shop for most. We're 20+ years from taking Colt receivers/bcgs, slapping in a Noveske, wrenching on a KAC tube and going to town...We just have more options for better or worse.
Those that make good barrels, might have shit rails. The folks making my receiver sets, might not be making my barrels. While, I may not be able to make a gun as slick as a KAC, Hodge, HK, I can certainly cherry-pick a killer gun together if I know what I'm doing and still have a gun that can run cheap(er) parts than proprietary KAC/HK/LMT bullshit...IF logistics are a concern.

Also, saying it again...LMT hasn't changed...just y'all's opinions/exepctations...
I was talking to my son yesterday and effectively he said "best" is person, goal, and mission specific. For example, the Navy team guys are picky so they value reliability more than things like accuracy or recoil impulse. Having said that, they certainly have a formula that they use with rifles. I know for instance on some of the recce uppers they use DD or Badger gas blocks, they use Lilja barrels (because they do care about accuracy). I know that they heat the uppers when seating them and use a bedding compound (it looked like blue loctite). On the lowers, most of them seem to like running smooth sided lowers not ambis, almost all of them prefer Geissle triggers of some stripe. I did not see much in the way of gas systems that were not carbine length, I saw a lot of rail choices but it was dominated by Geissle and DD both Mlok and Quad pic rails. They effectively were making very accurate, very reliable, Frankenstein ARs. So outside of the HKs and Sigs, they assembled favorite parts rifles.

To me the poster was asking about best manufacturers, I am biased in a way but I give a lot of credit to companies that currently directly supply the US armed forces like HK, DD, Geissle, FN, LMT, ect.

Reactions: MikeMiller
Aero Precision all day, followed up closely by PSA

Poors unite
I know folks love to hate and talk shit about Aero Precision because of their pricing, but they build some damn solid products. Both of my Aero .300 BLK uppers (10.5" and 8") have zero problems with headshots at 100 with 220 subs, and will even hit consistently at 200 yards with 220 subs.

And I do have 1 PSA lower I got on a massive discount sale they had a couple years ago, and the tolerances are tight. There's no slop in it at all on quite a few of my high-quality uppers. My 10" Aero .300 BLK upper sits on top of it, and it's a nice setup with virtually no play in the upper/lower fitment. It's damn-accurate for what it is, too.

All the rest of my AR builds are mid-to-high end.

Probably KAC, LMT, HK, LWRC di, hodge in roughly that order at least the top 2. I personally prefer di though not the piston guns.

Jp way up there for comp.

I just posted this in another thread, but I’m very impressed with my PSA Sabre a few hundred rounds in. It’s got excellent components (FN CHF CL bbl, Geissele Mk14 rail and GB, Radian safety and CH, Microbest BCG) and they’re selling them for an excellent price.

Reactions: Big Phish
I will only rank what I have direct experience with, both issued weapons and personal.

1.) KAC SR-15. I got mine back when you could get into one for about $2K. Current pricing is retarded, and a hard pass. That said my SR-15 gets grabbed first to go to the range or for pretty much anything else.

2.) Daniel Defense. Mine has been great, at the higher end of pricing short of KAC/HK/LMT silliness I like my DD a lot. Very good barrel.

3.) Colt. Had a few issued to me albeit M16’s and I own a Pre-Sandy Hook manufactured M4A1 SOCOM II that is a phenomenal shooter with good ammo. Very solid over all, not sure about current Colts though.

4.) FN. My last issued weapon was an FN contract M16A4 back in 2003-2004. Never let me down, terrible GI trigger though, but who knows who actually built the trigger.

5.) CMMG. Dumpster fire. Avoid at all costs. Bought back when I thought AR’s were AR’s and manufacturer roll marks were just cosmetics.

You’re the first one I’ve seen crapping on it. If it works as described its everything the masada/acr was supposed to be
I wouldn't get your hopes up... That thing looks like a Walmart version of an STG-44. I doubt it will even still be in production in 5 years tops...Leaning more towards 2-3. Modularity should only go so far, before it becomes a novelty act. Kind of like suppressors...It's cool sometimes, but mostly it's never exactly the way you would want it to turn out...It's either too long in full config, but when you remove the extra stack, it's too damn loud. It will probably be DOA on the market. They'll probably sell a few thousand, but for the most part, it's going to flop...Just like the Mossada/ACR.

Do you think there’s a difference between Rolex and Timex? Kinda the same thing, both keep time, one is significantly higher quality. I have high-end and low-end rifles and they all shoot, but they are not the same.

Reactions: Bluedog82