• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best AR15 Platform Upper Assembly (Excluding 223/556)

Ringman308

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2012
East Tx
Don't use 223/556 - sold my collection about 6 months before the prices went crazy.
Currently shooting 6.8 from AR Performance; 18-in SS bull; very happy with operation; long wait; service response very slow - seems to be backlogged like everyone else.
I'm look to add other uppers to the collection.
Let's hear who makes good reliable uppers that are accurate.
Give caliber and manufacture; good and bad; honest opinions appreciated.

6.5 Grendel, hits hard on animals and can shoot to 1000yds. I'm a bit bias, but Specialized Dynamics. Lifetime warranty and accuracy guarantee.

Look here I think they are in stock and ready to be shipped. I have never heard anyone complain about WOA accuracy or anything else either.

White Oak Armament | Complete Uppers | 6.8 SPC II Varmint Uppers

This past May I took delivery of a WOA 18" complete upper with 1 in 7" twist in .223/5.56 that I had the barrel full fluted to save some weight and to disperse heat better. It has functioned perfectly on top of my Colt LE 6920 M4 lower which I installed a Geissele SSA-E trigger. I also put a Bushnell AR/223 scope with 4.5-18x40mm zoom. The very first time I shot it it took 2 shots to sight in at 100 yds. and then I shot 5 shots with my last years Sierra 65 gr. Game Kings I used to hunt deer with last season. The group picture is below. Without waiting for the barrel to cool down I immediately shot 5 more shots with 69 gr. Match Kings and the group was much smaller then the picture below. That is why I am "tickled pink".

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=261

PS: The picture is distorted that is why the scope looks bent.

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 30
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 31
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT 1%22RINGS 1 .JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT 1%22RINGS 1 .JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Thanks guys. Been reading up on the Grendel.
SD uppers look good - thanks for the contact info.
I've seen WOA upper in 223 but have not fired one.
Anyone have references on 300 BO or larger?

...operationparts has several complete uppers in stock last I looked.

If your wanting to shoot cheaper, look at the 5.45x39 (AK74rd) I ordered 2 from Adams Arms, with the new Voodoo Tac barrels on em, and the one I have took out of the box is shooting moa with surplus ammo. The other upper is still in the box. Also I'm a 6.8 fan, and own uppers from RRA,DD, Ambush, Addax Tac, Barrett, Noveske, Wilson Combat, and a cpl home builds. The Wilson Combat 7.62x40 is another good cartridge, and I've got a Krieger 6mm, tube on a Vltor upper that I'm necking down 6.8 brass for, that shoots the 87vmax @ 3120fps from a 22" tube.

A 12.5" 6.8 would be a nice addition along with the 18".

ARP should have their .264 LBC barrels back in soon, if they shoot like the last batch, very accurate and a lot of barrel for the money. Mine loved the factory Hornady G 123gr Amax. While I think the 6.5mm bullets offer some great long distance fun, I sold the LBC and moved to a 6.5 Creedmoor. In a AR15, the 6.8 won out for me since it is mostly for hunting.

If you're into wildcats at all, look at Dedicated Technologies (D-tech) D-Tech - Custom AR-15 Upper Receivers - Dedicated Technology - Custom AR-15 Upper Recievers.

I've got one in 25 DTI which is a 6.8 spc necked down with a 30° shoulder, puts a 90gr out at 3000 fps and consistently 1/2 MOA. And his stuff is all very accurate. He also makes it in 6mm and 6.5mm. Then he is also one of the few that produces a very accurate and RELIABLE WSSM upper. Along with all the other usual suspects.

HOWEVER, his wait time is extremely long, like worse that NFA items long. He's a one man show and has a huge following in the predator hunting world. My 25 took 13 months and I've got a 223 varmint upper with a slow twist barrel on order that's now been 18 months. He's not going to hold your hand through the process, he's too busy, but he'll take your order and build you a damn nice upper that will run without issue and be very accurate. If you're not in a hurry, he makes some damn nice stuff. Here's the contact info if you're interested Contact Us - D-Tech - Custom AR-15 Upper Receivers

D-tech 243 WSSM. I have one of his uppers in the 22" barrel, Shilen select with his custom compensator. Shoots well but is in the heavy profile.

I'm looking to part ways with my upper. I'm getting out of the AR platform.

Precision Firearms gives a 1/2 moa guarantee on their Grendel uppers.
I really like mine a lot for what it is.
It is a big fat fucker. Not too good for anything but laying on my belly type shooting. Hopefully I can menace a few hogs and yotes with it next week.

The 6mm FatRat sounds badass but I'm already committed to 6.5