• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best bang for the buck in 308 semi

Conrad101st

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
OK
OK,

So my brain is googled out and i need input.

With a budget of $2750 - $3k, what is the best bang for the buck in a semi auto 308. Have shot an OBR, played with the REPR and POF. Liked the LMT MWS for being able to change out the barrel. People rave about the GAP 10, etc. I have bipods, slings and optics. I'm not trying to blow my wad of cash but am willing to if it's the way to go.

It's kind of like you pretty much max out hunting usability with a shotgun at $1250 with a benelli m2 or equivalent and thats what im trying to figure out for my newest 308 toy.

So lets put it this way, what would you buy if you were dropping approximately $2k, $2.5k, or $3k?

I want it all of course; accuracy, reliability, reasonable weight, controllability, and ergonomics. I plan in using my elite iron 308 can with standard threads on it occasionally as well. I would like to shoot prarie dogs, deer, hogs, and coyotes with it, and have it as my SHTF rig as the secondary consideration. Yes I know its a broad goal.

Thanks,

Conrad
1/503rd, 2ID (90-91)
3/327, 101st (92)

Re: best bang for the buck in 308 semi

I just bought an Armalite Super SASS cost was on the upper end of your scale. I think its awsome but havn't shot other 308's except an older FAL. Tricked it out and cost me a whole lot more but you already have a lot of the add-ons so you dont have to worry about those costs. Very solid gun tho and although I've not got it to the range for breaking in or gettiing it all tuned up, the few times I've shot so far made me smile.

GAP
Accuracy Systems Incoprated
Accurate And Reliable Rifles
Medesha Firearms
Sabreco, Inc.
Scottmilk here on the hide as well as others.
JP

There are many. Many other shooters and Hiders know of them. These are the ones I vouch for except #2 because I have no experience with them.

I went through the same thing, I currently own a 24 inch DMPMS 308, wont sell it it shoots way to good, BUT I had 2500 to spend between the Scar 17 and the POF 308 20 inch..Scar, with no barrels and magazines short and $$$ I bought the POF.. in about 5 years if the scar is still around and price way down I may get one

Do you care if it is DI or gas? Will you be running a suppressor? Do you care if you can use PMags or not? With that budget you can get pretty much anything on your list. All are good options.. so just comes down to getting the features you like.

Not particular per se about operating system but I shoot suppressed alot except for big game so that's a consideration.

Well I was sitting in your boat for a while and I finaly pulled the trigger on a Larue obr and couldnt be happier.

Its a little high on your price scale, especially if you start adding stuff to it. But I believe it meets all of your criteria.

Mine is just being broken in but seems to be way sub moa and has not had a malfunction (athough I havent fired enough rounds through it to call it 100% relaible yet). The Giessele trigger is great. And quality is what you would expect.

I definately wanted a gun that would run the p-mags and that swayed me a bit in this direction as well.

I have also run the rock river lar8 and it didnt blow my skirt up. It was about 1 moa with some privy match stuff but it didnt feel good to me? I didnt care for the fal mags (not that theres anything wrong with them). Main thing was that the accuracy didnt blow me away and it felt a little clunky. Price is good though and it may shoot better with some other ammo.

I have also handled some of the JP .308 gasguns and they seem sublime. The side cocking/charging handle was very nice and the overall quality was unbelievable. They were also lightweight and handled like a dream. That said I felt like they "might" not have that end of the world reliability I was looking for.

I dont have any real expeience with the other platforms mentioned But I can say Im happy with where I ended up and I wont be able to outshoot my rifle anytime soon.

Thanks
Rusty

To a fellow 101st member... I'll add my 2 cents....

REPR. shoots lights out with 175's and 178 gr pills (1:10 twist) a lot of unique features (4 way gas block, ambidextrous controls and great CS). Cry once brother. best of luck

p.s with the gas block on "c" (for closed) its a beautiful thing to shoot suppressed.

LWRC REPR 20" with SF brake
GG&G bipod and rings
US Optics 1.8-10x37 Mil/Mil

154g1lh.jpg

345fvk8.jpg

2qmzrwy.jpg

just curious- what are the optics you already have for it? I've seen plenty of nice rifles with Barska/NC Star scopes on them.

Noveske is another option for a good rifle

Well I have two leupold Mark 4's with illuminated mildot reticles. One is a 4.5x14 and the other is a 6x20. Yes, I know they're not USO or nightforce but they do work well and hold up.

I'm debating about a closer range optic but I have a leupold 1.5x5 VXIII on my model 70 in 375 H&H and I've been pretty happy with it for snap shooting. I can group quite well at 100 even with just 5x. I might eventually get a trijicon or aimpoint for a more streamlined CQB setup.

I'd have to second the Noveske suggestion but I don't have any personal experience with one. I am almost done with my own build so I know whats available. Noveske, IMO seems to be the best brand available. Their barrels are machine gun rated and they have a proprietary chamber that gives outstanding accuracy. They do require Armalite mags though which I consider a negative. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I have two leupold Mark 4's with illuminated mildot reticles. One is a 4.5x14 and the other is a 6x20. Yes, I know they're not USO or nightforce but they do work well and hold up.
</div></div>

Keep an eye on the 12 zillion super sniper 5-20 threads, the group buy will hit soon enough. If you want something smaller and lighter look around at 2.5-10 scopes from ior, nf, leupold, etc. Super Sniper 3-9 and Vortex 2.5-10 PST both look like solid choices too.

edit: follow the link in my signature and click "like," then read the posts about the super sniper group buy

Buy parts and build it yourself. If you buy quality parts and shop around, you can build a nice shooter for a lot less than the cost of the high end stuff that someone else built. If you buy a high end rifle and you like everything but the handguard and you spend and extra $300-$400 on a handguard, you just blew your budget. If you build it with the parts you want you dont have extra stuff laying around you'll never use either. Buy a Rock or Kreiger barrel and wrap a good receiver and bolt around it. Buy the stock and handguard you want. Spend the rest of your budget on optic, mags and ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd have to second the Noveske suggestion but I don't have any personal experience with one. I am almost done with my own build so I know whats available. Noveske, IMO seems to be the best brand available. Their barrels are machine gun rated and they have a proprietary chamber that gives outstanding accuracy. They do require Armalite mags though which I consider a negative. Good luck. </div></div>

For what it's worth, the POF barrels are also machine gun rated and they are sub-MOA capable right out of the box.

...as are the repr's....go with lwrc and you won't look back at all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUTGERS95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...as are the repr's....go with lwrc and you won't look back at all</div></div>

The same could be said of the POF, which I own and shoot. I'm just an amateur shooter but I would have no hesitation in putting my POF up against an LWRC, LaRue, LMT, Noveske, Knights, Armalite, GAP, or any other AR-10 rifles I've not mentioned. No, I haven't handled/shot them all but I have every confidence that the new rifles being produced by POF*USA will perform every bit as good, if not better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUTGERS95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...as are the repr's....go with lwrc and you won't look back at all</div></div>

The same could be said of the POF, which I own and shoot. I'm just an amateur shooter but I would have no hesitation in putting my POF up against an LWRC, LaRue, LMT, Noveske, Knights, Armalite, GAP, or any other AR-10 rifles I've not mentioned. No, I haven't handled/shot them all but I have every confidence that the new rifles being produced by POF*USA will perform every bit as good, if not better. </div></div>

I feel the same way about my 3 lwrc's. Each one of them is under moa and have been issue free. I thought about the pof 308 but 2 buddies I shoot with sold theirs with various complaints for lwrc's. I knocked around with theirs before they sold them and decided against the pof. It's a fine rifle but I didn't like it as much as the repr. That's the beauty of having a so many different choices out there, you can what is right for you.

One rifle I'd like to get a hold of is the les baer.

The premium AR-10 is certainly a niche market. I say that because I have yet to see any Baer, LaRue, Knights, Noveske, LMT, GAP, or LWRC rifles at the large gunshows I've been to. In fact, I've only seen one or two of the POF rifles. I'd like to try out the LWRC sometime.

Guy I know bought an lwrc wallet raper when they first came out, 4400? for the 16". It's a good rifle but not 4k dollars worth of rifle.

If bang for the buck is your thing I still say building your own is best, especially if you have spare parts on hand already. I have one going right now that's going to run me either 1300 w/20" blackhole barrel and A2 stock or 1600 with fulton 16" and UBR. 20" will probably be lighter but the 16" will probably balance better and do the same things that the 20" does.

edit: plenty of guys shooting with suppressors on DI guns too, just figure that you'll probably want an adjustable gas block (70? for JP, I think PRI is 100) and a gas buster charging handle. If you do a search on this forum you should find plenty of threads regarding suppressors on AR type rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy I know bought an lwrc wallet raper when they first came out, 4400? for the 16". It's a good rifle but not 4k dollars worth of rifle.</div></div>

Ha ha ha! That's pretty funny but I agree with you.

Building is an option as mentioned above.. but odds are you will have some kinks to work out, as well as finding/matching parts. If you have time and don't mind spending the research and troubleshooting time, it is a good option.

If you want to buy and shoot out of the box.. buy a quality factory model and be done.

I continue to save and ponder as well, and so far I am fairly confident of KAC/DPMS compatibility. Not sure I "need" the monolithic upper, which makes Larue's Predatar very attractive (in spite of the odd name.)

I'm interested why no one has mentioned a DPMS offering? Is there something inherently wrong with them? Been trying to figure this out for myself in my quest to get into the semi auto AR pattern 308 game. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJMOC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm interested why no one has mentioned a DPMS offering? Is there something inherently wrong with them? Been trying to figure this out for myself in my quest to get into the semi auto AR pattern 308 game. Thanks. </div></div>

They have occasional QC problems but other than that there is nothing wrong with DPMS per se.

bang for buck goes to DPMS SASS hands down. If you have a problem they will cs you like nobody's business and fix the issue. I have had many lr 308's from them and other's and DPMS has shot sub moa out of the box. The newest version DPMS REPR is lighter, has a longer lasting barrell, different handguard's and other things than the SASS so you have a choice to make there. As far as running it suppressed depending on the can you might have to get a adjustable gas block. Other than that you can spend more but out of the box, and for a great price my DPMS SASS has shocked several shooters on the line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on their reputation, I'd be leery of DPMS/BM/Rem without the GAP treatment. I've been tempted numerous times, tho.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">THIS^</span>

There's one topic in particular that shows a butcher job performed by DPMS on a rifle that was returned for repair. After the owner received it back from DPMS, the rifle was in worse shape than it was before DPMS received it. It is for that reason alone that I would be leery of buying one of their rifles. Sure, they made things right but that isn't the point.

To the OP, as it has been said many times, you get what you pay for.

If you find a rifle you really like but the price is a little out of your price range then save your money until you can buy the rifle you <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">WANT</span></span> instead of buying the rifle you can <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">afford</span></span>.

Why? Because you won't be as happy with the rifle you could <span style="font-style: italic">afford</span> and you'll always be wanting the rifle that was a few hundred dollars out of your price range. Eventually, you'll sell the rifle you could <span style="font-style: italic">afford</span> to purchase the rifle you <span style="font-style: italic">want</span>. Therefore, you will end up spending more money because you had to sell the first rifle at a loss to raise money for the rifled you <span style="font-style: italic">wanted</span>.

As it has been said many times on the 'Hide; buy once, cry once.

Don't forget to check out the Rock River Arms LAR-8's. I have sold a few of them with 26" barrels and they shoot very well.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget to check out the Rock River Arms LAR-8's. I have sold a few of them with 26" barrels and they shoot very well.

Tom </div></div>

Absolutely. I had one before I got into suppressors and wih 168gr federals it shot under 1/2 moa.
Usually one large ragged hole.

You don't need to spend 3K+ on something fancy like POF, LaRue, GAP, etc...keep an eye out and you can find basic Armalite AR10's sometimes for as little as $1200.00-1300.00. It's like buying a Mustang...once you have the car, you can "personalize" it any way you like. You may try several different things/combinations before you settle on something that's right for you. It's part of the fun (for me anyway)...they're so modular it's really easy for someone with even basic mechanical skills. You can end up with something every bit as good as the Gucci rifles for far less.
Check out AR15.com equip. exchange and look in the AR10 section. Deals there all the time.

Nobody seems to be pushing for a LMT MWS I've noticed. ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody seems to be pushing for a LMT MWS I've noticed. ??
</div></div>

Not a ton of them in the wild from what I read. Lmt is gtg on nearly everything they produce so I wouldn't sweat buying anything from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on their reputation, I'd be leery of DPMS/BM/Rem without the GAP treatment. I've been tempted numerous times, tho.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">THIS^</span>

There's one topic in particular that shows a butcher job performed by DPMS on a rifle that was returned for repair. After the owner received it back from DPMS, the rifle was in worse shape than it was before DPMS received it. It is for that reason alone that I would be leery of buying one of their rifles. Sure, they made things right but that isn't the point.

To the OP, as it has been said many times, you get what you pay for.

If you find a rifle you really like but the price is a little out of your price range then save your money until you can buy the rifle you <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">WANT</span></span> instead of buying the rifle you can <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">afford</span></span>.

Why? Because you won't be as happy with the rifle you could <span style="font-style: italic">afford</span> and you'll always be wanting the rifle that was a few hundred dollars out of your price range. Eventually, you'll sell the rifle you could <span style="font-style: italic">afford</span> to purchase the rifle you <span style="font-style: italic">want</span>. Therefore, you will end up spending more money because you had to sell the first rifle at a loss to raise money for the rifled you <span style="font-style: italic">wanted</span>.

As it has been said many times on the 'Hide; buy once, cry once. </div></div>

I saw that thread. What DPMS tried to pull was 8 shades of retarded. However, it didn't totally put me off the brand's 308 offerings because I'm a firm believer in "shit happens" and other than that thread, I haven't read anything else negative.

I firmly adhere to the buy once cry once mantra however, it needs to be proven to me that the cost is worth the product. 3k seems to be a sweet spot in which to sell AR pattern 308 rifles. Now, whether or not this price is because that's where they can be sold or if the product is truly $1,500-ish better than something DPMS puts out (for my purpose), is what I'm personally trying to figure out. Still reading, researching and learning.

As others have mentioned, buy what you want the first time and don't "settle" for something else. I also googled myself to death and researched until my eyes crossed. However, it was well worth it because I found each component of the rifle I wanted and let a local class 3 dealer/gunsmith put it together. I have about 3,100 invested in the rifle before the suppressor and any other additional items. Bipod, sling ect... I saved up and built exactly what I wanted with premium parts. Just to give you an idea, I will list my personal selection of parts.

Magpul PRS 308 stock
Locally manufactured lower receiver (Lone Star Armory)
JP adjustable fire control group
DPMS stripped upper receiver (The Lone Star upper is still in development)
Coated bolt carrier w/JP enhanced bolt 308
PRI carbon fiber rifle length free float tube
Brux SS fluted Cryo'd 20" barrel @ 11.25

This setup is capable of being a nail driver @ 100yds. Beyond that has not been tested. Good luck with your research and buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody seems to be pushing for a LMT MWS I've noticed. ??
</div></div>

I have the MWS. It is a good gun, shoots sub-moa with most ammo, I put over 500 rounds through it one weekend at a match without any malfunctions or cleaning. It uses the KAC/DPMS/Magpul mags, and I added a UBR stock, BABC comp, and a SS 3-9x in a Bobro mount. I love the system. Beware, though, it is a disease. Now I am looking at adding a 20" SS barrel to it, and SWFA has that nice SS 1-4x.....

This may be my first post here, been looking for a long time. I am partial to the LMT line, I have a MWS and it is a fantastic rifle. I do not have a permanent optic on it yet, but have settled on the USO 1.8-10 with EREK.

I just put a PWS FSC30 brake on it and shot it for the first time yesterday and what a different it makes. As far as I am concerned, this is the best rifle for the money. The KAC mag that comes with the MWS is also great, my Magpuls function just great. I had a SV FH on it for the first 20 rounds and then switched to the PWS

I dig my PTR 91. I only have a hunders yards at my place but the gun shoots. To be honest I cant tell you what the groupings are, just shooting cans and such, but it is right on. Its at the gun smith right now getting a Bravo 5 20in barrel installed. Cant wait to see how it shoots with the match ammo and targets I just bought. Go to the web site PTR91.com and check out the MSG 91 MSG 91C MSG 91SS. Just something different to check out. Just my 2cents.

PTR's are really cool but they beat the snot out of brass and mounting a scope can be hard depending on what model you have or how much you want to spend.

The only thing I don't like about the LMT MWS is that I can't afford to buy one
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NEW SHOOTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone here have any thoughts on the Les Baer ? </div></div>Expensive, but they seem to live up to LB's claims. Very accurate, very good quality. The JP is another really nice semi auto .308.

Build your own!!!! and use the extra $$$ on the glass. I have a really good ref. spreadsheet from my MA-TEN build and more than happy to share just e-mail me [email protected].

My build is consistantly shooting 0.5 to 0.75 MOA groups from the bipod. IMHO you save $$$ doing it yourself (fairly easy) and damn rewarding shooting your own build

target/varmint id prolly go ar10 platform of one variant or other but if its strictly social id buy a dsa para fal.