• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best case trimmer

chslick

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2014
Utah
Hey guys Whats the BEST case trimmer ?
Not the fastest, but the most accurate every time...

I wish I had a Giraud.
If you don't have the bucks for one though the Wilson is very accurate.
Also, the WFT works well but it gets expensive if you load for several calibers as they are case specific.

Giraud has a new trimmer.

The Giraud Tri Way trimmer:
New Page 1

That looks awesome! Am I right in my understanding that you purchase one complete unit for each caliber you are trimming? This is unlike the other similar trimmers that you purchase one unit with multiple caliber inserts? I read through the directions, but it wasn't clear to my dense head.

Last edited:
Giraud is as accurate as you can re-size your brass since it indexes off of the shoulder of the case.
It's also faster than Ben Johnson.
It took me an afternoon to trim 2000 cases with minimal effort.

I use a wilson. Can't seem to convince myself to go giraud. I will probably continue to use a wilson with a powered screwdriver attachment for .308 and go dillon for 5.56. It's nice to have it built into a die and have it be just another stop on my progressive press. Resize, trim, wet tumble. Even has a vacuum hookup to suck up the shavings.

I started with a manual trimmer then advanced to an RCBS Power Trim Pro with a three-way cutter before moving to the Giraud, I will never go back now. My hands thank me, the results are consistent each time and it's very fast. I no longer dread trimming.

I know the Giraud is all the rage and definitely much faster than the Wilson but as far as repeatable accuracy I think the Wilson is better.

That looks awesome! Am I right in my understanding that you purchase one complete unit for each caliber you are trimming? This is unlike the other similar trimmers that you purchase one unit with multiple caliber inserts? I read through the directions, but it wasn't clear to my dense head.

Yes, I think its one complete unit per caliber. The caliber list is much shorter on that model as well.

Thanks for clearing that up. I just ordered a similar cutter like the one I described, but it only cuts the brass. I about flipped out when I thought this cut, chamfered and deburred and could swap out between calibers.

Yeah that Wilson/Sinclair set up with the mic. and the optional base is the shit. The way the case is held and repeatable to the thou. Best piece of equip. upgrade I have done for a while. That and the Bench Source fire maker.....I shoot bolt guns...I'm in no hurry.

Thanks for clearing that up. I just ordered a similar cutter like the one I described, but it only cuts the brass. I about flipped out when I thought this cut, chamfered and deburred and could swap out between calibers.

I think it does cut, chamfer and deburr, but it appears the head isn't interchangeable like the regular trimmer

Last edited:
I see a lot of folks responded with the Giraud trimmer. It is obviously fast, easy, and accurate enough for bolt gun use.

- For folks that responded with "the Giraud", is this because it is their favorite (fastest/easiest), or because it is the most accurate?
- Is the Giraud more or less accurate than the Wilson?

I see a lot of folks responded with the Giraud trimmer. It is obviously fast, easy, and accurate enough for bolt gun use.

- For folks that responded with "the Giraud", is this because it is their favorite (fastest/easiest), or because it is the most accurate?
- Is the Giraud more or less accurate than the Wilson?

It's as accurate as your resizing is. It truly is very consistent in how it cuts, chamfers, and deburrs your brass. It's fast, easy on your hands, and it just keeps trimming and trimming. Trimming by hand is tedious and your hands will not like you for long. Several of the other mechanized trimmers I've seen and used are not nearly as fast, well built, or as easy to use. That is what makes the Giraud worth it. I truly will never go back to any other way of trimming brass, there's zero need for any more precision than the Giraud provides in my opinion.

Giraud is the best way to go IMO. Consistent trim ect. Easy to use and fast. Quick caliber swaps. It's a little pricey but the quality is super. I will not go back to a hand trimmer after using the Giraud.

I've used my Giraud for years and it still keeps plugging away. Fast, easy on the hands (you will get cramped thumbs if you don't take a break once in a while.) I only use it a few times a year but I do a couple thousand cases at a time when I do it. That gets me through the competition season.

I use once fired Lake City Brass I buy in bulk. It's already sized so it runs through the trimmer pretty fast. I try to keep track of how many reloads they go through. Every other reload I run them through again. Probably overkill as I doubt they stretch that much.

The slow down for subsequent trimming is that you have to resize the brass first in a single station press so you can't run it through a progressive reloader until after they are trimmed. For High Power XC and LR, it works. I'm not losing points because of my ammo. For three gun, I just load the brass without trimming.

The new version wasn't around when I got mine but I like the fixed version better and I can use it for multiple calibers. If you do bulk prepping, you could talk to friends you shoot with and buy one as a group. It isn't something I use on a regular basis. Probably sits idle 360 days a year.

Just a thought.

Take a look at gracey trimmers too I have one for the last 8yrs with about 15000 cases trimmed and was a little cheaper but got the job done. If you have a dillon press look at their case trimmer too.

I picked up a Dead On and it is nice. Easier to adjust for depth than WFT. Optional carbide cutter. And easy to switch calibers, as you just change a press in bushing. So cheaper for multiple calibers than WFT.

Most likely because Dougs power trimmers are expensive, and the drill chuck style will sell a in higher quantities, and being easier and faster to produce.
Also almost all producers are looking into make three way cutters as Doug has been doing for years, so he might loose some of the market by not going this way.
Another thing to notice is that he seems to make a superior product for less money then the competition..
Comes standard with his high quality carbide cutter, and a chip guard so you don't need safety googles to trim your cases

Love my Giraud power trimmers, can not be beat for speed and consistency together, and the Meplat trimming option is nice.
Still the gold standard of case trimmers no doubt.

Thanks dmike,
I've been following that thread too. I ordered one of these puppies a few days ago.
for the price point and what it can do, I'm impressed. I'm using a glove to hold the cases, had this one with the rubber coating and it helps.

Attachments

• 20140824_110010.jpg
    20140824_110010.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for all the awesome input on this subject.
I ordered my Giraud Friday.....