• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best Clothing for shooting in the rain

I purchased Cabela's brand gortex rain pants and jacket prior to a wet shoot down at LRSE last month. It basically rained all Saturday day and I was shooting prone in the mud all weekend and quite often. The stuff worked amazing well (stayed dry all weekend) and I was SO glad I got it. Probably have a little over $200 in both garments and it was worth every penny. I recommend it 100%.

Mountain Hardwear makes shells with what I think they are calling Q Dry Elite. I've worn a jacket with this for years and really like it. Their clothes are made for movement so you get a little more than just a breathable rain layer (durability, pit zips, hood adjustment, etc).

Can be had for a less than Gore Tex.

Reactions: Meyer1784
If your not looling for camo or tactical looking, check out REI. Have some great rain gear. I got a mammut rain jacket. Been caught in a down poor and was completely dry. I'll be picking up some pants to complete the set soon.

Expensive, but my Arcteryx stuff has worked really well. I shoot almost everyday, regardless of weather, and I wear either the dead bird, or some milsurp gortex. The milsurp is heavier, bulkier, noisier, but who cares if anything happens to it. Works well enough.

Reactions: Frankly
REI removed Vista Outdoors products from their stores because Vista owns among numerous other brands, Savage firearms. I won’t spend any more money there or Dicks / Field & Stream. Yeti joined the list of people I don’t spend money with today

REI removed Vista Outdoors products from their stores because Vista owns among numerous other brands, Savage firearms. I won’t spend any more money there or Dicks / Field & Stream. Yeti joined the list of people I don’t spend money with today

Shit, what did Yeti do? I can't keep up anymore with the news. Hate even looking half the time.

Expensive, but my Arcteryx stuff has worked really well. I shoot almost everyday, regardless of weather, and I wear either the dead bird, or some milsurp gortex. The milsurp is heavier, bulkier, noisier, but who cares if anything happens to it. Works well enough.

Yeah, Arcteryx makes some really top notch stuff. If using a lot, worth the money. Patagonia also good but I really love my Arcteryx gear. Very good design, materials, and execution.

If you do go Arcteryx, you have many choices among the commercial and LEAF lines. Outside of specific pieces in the commercial line I would say the fit you'd want for shooting will come from the LEAF line.

Frog Togg Toadies here. Higher end Gear and hasn't failed me for shooting or fishing in Nasty weather. Bottoms are bibs too which functions well with the parka. Keeps migrating moisture to a minimum.

I have the Cabelas rain gear, the frog toggs, both work well. I also have a great poncho I got off amazon.com for about 50 bucks. I usually pack the poncho and one of the others in my pack.

I love REI and they will typically have decent stuff marked down, it might not match though so you will lose some points. If matching is important take out a second mortgage and go with arc'teryx. Just my .02

Last edited:
Options are limited where I am too, but there is the internet..:)

I don't refuse to do business with all antigun organizations, but if I can avoid giving them money, I prefer to do so.

I think I heard they bailed on their support for the NRA? Can someone confirm?

Yeti pulled support of the Friends of the NRA.

Screw their overpriced merchandise.
I didn’t spend my money their stuff anyway.
The company bought the employees soft side coolers for a safety bonus a couple of years ago.
I don’t like taking it out to the beach or anywhere like that, it’s a target for theft.
The owner of the company I work for had several large Yeti “Coffin Box” coolers stolen with several hundred pounds of fish in them from his house a couple of years ago. The thieves dumped out the fish and ice and pawned the coolers in Louisiana. They got caught and prosecuted.

Reactions: Mike 556
I wore my outlet-purchased ArcTeryx LEAF Alpha jacket and Alpha lite pants last Friday while setting up the Karstetter Memorial shoot . Temps were just above freezing with sustained wind and rain....a real joy.
I was amazed at how well this kit works. I wast toasty warm and well protected without sacrificing mobility.
Buy what you want- but if you spend any time in the Pacific Northwest , particularly on the west side of the Cascades, you will become an expert in rain gear. Some stuff works, some stuff kind of works and some stuff is just crap.

Acteryx LEAF can be found at their outlet stores in Tulalip, Washington and Castle Rock, Colorado.

Yeti pulled support of the Friends of the NRA.

Screw their overpriced merchandise.
I didn’t spend my money their stuff anyway.
The company bought the employees soft side coolers for a safety bonus a couple of years ago.
I don’t like taking it out to the beach or anywhere like that, it’s a target for theft.
The owner of the company I work for had several large Yeti “Coffin Box” coolers stolen with several hundred pounds of fish in them from his house a couple of years ago. The thieves dumped out the fish and ice and pawned the coolers in Louisiana. They got caught and prosecuted.

Agree Fuck Yeti! Been using Rtic coolers and tumblers, basically same product, 1/2 the price.https://www.rticcoolers.com/
Based in Texas and shooter friendly.
The Acteryx line is top notch. Also have some Cabelas rain wear that I'm really pleased with.
Mike

Arcteryx LEAF can be found at their outlet stores in Tulalip, Washington and Castle Rock, Colorado.

Oh man, the last place I should be let loose is an Arcteryx outlet store!

Simms Challenger Jacket and bibs is my choice for wet nasty Wisco weather.

Military Surplus Gore-Tex ECWS. Buy from Sportsman's Guide, eBay, or any surplus store. Can be found for under $100. This clothing has literally saved my life on more than one occasion.
1523885394407.png

1523885356297.png

As a Guy who spent 21 years working for Uncle Sugar... doing work outside... My Humble opinion.... you spend a day outside... in the rain... you're gonna be wet.... I like good gear as much as the next guy, but I have my limits as to how much I will spend. I'll throw my hat in with the good Major... Issue Gortex is hard to beat for the price...

Mark up on clothing is horrible, regardless who make it, and it's all mostly sourced oversea's... I wait for massive sales and discounts

Like anything, knowing when to wear something in certain conditions, is more important then what you wear. Layers are key.

Reactions: Mike_Honcho
I spent two seasons in on Adak island a few hundred miles from the russian border in Alaska. Temps usually between 15-45 F and winds averaging 20-50 normally ( island called the birth place of the winds) . I spent 11 hour days doing bomb cleanup/ disposal on training ranges. My budget was tight and tried out lots of stuff but my final and best set up was surplus micro fleece cold weather bibs available on amazon or ebay for around $15 bucks and microfleece pullover underneath surplus gen 3 multicam goretex jacket and pants. The gen3 stuff is lightweight and roomy so good for movement and constant squatting or climbing. Micro fleece wicks moisture off body and traps moisture and condensation between goretex inner and pullover outer so you stay dry no problem. I would wear a microfleece neck gaiter and a micro fleece beenie. This allowed for maximum adjustment for temp regulation. Many guys with balaclavas got over heated because it was all or nothing. Goretex on ebay can be had for $100-200 depending on size. Only down side I found compared with some higher end stuff Ive owned is the gen 3 goretex is super light weight and could tear if using in heavily wooded or scrub brush areas. Some tent repair tape works great. It also packs real small. Also the roomy cut lends itself well too layering.

Reactions: winniedonkey
As a Guy who spent 21 years working for Uncle Sugar... doing work outside... My Humble opinion.... you spend a day outside... in the rain... you're gonna be wet.... I like good gear as much as the next guy, but I have my limits as to how much I will spend. I'll throw my hat in with the good Major... Issue Gortex is hard to beat for the price...

Mark up on clothing is horrible, regardless who make it, and it's all mostly sourced oversea's... I wait for massive sales and discounts

Like anything, knowing when to wear something in certain conditions, is more important then what you wear. Layers are key.
I am with you

I used to do a lot of things where rain and cold exposure were a common factor. I don't anymore, and I miss it a lot. But my age and health dictate otherwise.

Over the years, my goto cold/wet gear was Gore-Tex shell over Thinsulate layers, with at least one layer of dense wool flannel inboard of that. The wool is added because it will still preserve body heat when wet. So should I get wet or sweaty, the wool could cover for at least some of that.

These days, they have better stuff.

I also used to wear my surplus ECWCS gear when hunting, but the fleece inner stuff was not up to the dryer's havoc. It just came out behaving strange.

Hunting in a set place in 15 degrees, and steady winds with 20-30mph gusts are what ended my hunting days. There just simply is not any pair of gloves on the planet that can preserve the sense of feeling in my hands. Heart attacks can wreck your circulation, so be sure you don't have any. I can get by with the reduced heart capacity and reduced activity, but the cold and my circulation can stop me cold, literally.

Knowing when to throw in the towel is an essential learned skill. I can no longer afford to tough things out like I used to.

Greg

Last edited: