• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Collapsable Stock for and AR-15

Lil'Joe

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2004
Occupied State of NC
My AR-15 is set up for varminting with a fixed stock.

I am thanking about investing in a collapsible stock.

I am sure that this question has only been asked about a million times, but since the forum is smarter than I am, I have not found the answer under the search.

Anyway, what collapsible stocks should I consider? I still want to do varmenting with the AR-15, but wanted to see what changing out the stock would do.

Any suggestions?

Re: Best Collapsable Stock for and AR-15

I really, really like the new MagPul ACS. It has one of the best cheek welds in the business. I think you'll find it as comfortable or even more comfortable than your A2. That cannot be said about most collapsible stocks. It is also very solid, with little to no movement or wobble. That is also hard to do with a collapsible stock.

The LMT SOPMOD is also excellent, but more than twice the price of the ACS.

Nope, I don't like the MagPul UBR. It's still too narrow to be as comfortable as the ACS when shooting prone with the weight of my oversized melon pressing down on it. It is also quite expensive and on the heavy side.

The MagPul CTR is only marginally more comfortable than a crappy standard M4 collapsible stock. The big advantage of the CTR is the tighter, wobble-free fit on the buffer tube.

I've never tried a Vltor Modstock. I'm told it likes to grab facial hair!

If you aren't already aware, you will need to also change your buffer, buffer spring, and buffer tube to use a collapsible stock.

<span style="font-style: italic">Magpul ACS</span>
Picture007-2.jpg

Toss up between the UBR and the ACS. Either or is a sound choice for prone...sopmod sucks for prone.

Give and take between the UBR and ACS. ACS as mentioned by glock24 is a bit wider while the UBR has ZERO wobble. Optimum stock would be the UBR with a cheek peice as wide as the ACS, but thats not an option as far as I know.

Had the Vltor EMOD, went to an ACS. Love it. If you are in the Dallas area you are more than welcome to shoot my AR and get a feel for both stocks.

MagPul UBR hands down, every single day.

John

I've had a quite a few and still go back to the CTR on all my carbines.

I really like the magpul MOE but I'm cheap. If money wasnt an issue Id also say +1 to the UBR, I love that stock.

Tell me about your rifle. Barrel length, center of gravity, etc. Reason why this is important is because your stock will play a huge part in balancing your rifle, "pointability", swing, and recoil.

For instance, if you had a 14.5" pencil barrel with a super light rail like a Daniel Defense Omega, I'd say a CTR or MOE would be appropriate. The CTR and MOE are extremely light for their given rigidity and will not cause your rifle to be ass heavy and therefore more prone to muzzle flip. Additionally, a heavy stock on such a light front-end would make for awkward (at least in my opinion) transitions as you move from one target to the next. If you're shooting offhand or stomping around for hours at a time, the weight savings is even more important.

But then examine the opposite; a 20" bull barrel with a heavier rifle length free float handguard. In this situation, a CTR, MOE, or even an ACS (which weights a half pound more than the CTR and MOE) would cause you to have a front-heavy rifle. Your transitions will be slow and your support arm will fatigue faster (if shooting offhand which is unlikely with this setup but humor me). In this case, I'd say you should definitely look at the UBR and PRS HOWEVER, before spending $200+ on a stock, I would also suggest you give the A2 stock a shot. It's cheap, rigid, and heavy enough. They aren't expensive so even if you decide you want the adjustability of a PRS or UBR, you're not out much. And you just may find that it does the job and you've saved a fair bit of money which you can spend on ammo which means more practice/varminting which is a helluva lot more fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a quite a few and still go back to the CTR on all my carbines. </div></div>
I also like the CTR stock. I have no problem with the fit of the stock and like its light weight compared to some of the others mentioned I have tried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me about your rifle. Barrel length, center of gravity, etc. Reason why this is important is because your stock will play a huge part in balancing your rifle, "pointability", swing, and recoil.

For instance, if you had a 14.5" pencil barrel with a super light rail like a Daniel Defense Omega, I'd say a CTR or MOE would be appropriate. The CTR and MOE are extremely light for their given rigidity and will not cause your rifle to be ass heavy and therefore more prone to muzzle flip. Additionally, a heavy stock on such a light front-end would make for awkward (at least in my opinion) transitions as you move from one target to the next. If you're shooting offhand or stomping around for hours at a time, the weight savings is even more important.

But then examine the opposite; a 20" bull barrel with a heavier rifle length free float handguard. In this situation, a CTR, MOE, or even an ACS (which weights a half pound more than the CTR and MOE) would cause you to have a front-heavy rifle. Your transitions will be slow and your support arm will fatigue faster (if shooting offhand which is unlikely with this setup but humor me). In this case, I'd say you should definitely look at the UBR and PRS HOWEVER, before spending $200+ on a stock, I would also suggest you give the A2 stock a shot. It's cheap, rigid, and heavy enough. They aren't expensive so even if you decide you want the adjustability of a PRS or UBR, you're not out much. And you just may find that it does the job and you've saved a fair bit of money which you can spend on ammo which means more practice/varminting which is a helluva lot more fun.</div></div>

You'd be wise to listen to this advice. A stock that helps to balance the rifle (whether it's a light rifle needing a light stock, or a heavy rifle needing a heavier stock) will result in a rifle that's more comfortable to hold and shoot. A balanced rifle is much easier to wield than an unbalanced rifle.

All of my M4's and Colt Commando wear old school Colt N1 stocks. My MK12 Mod 0 wears a SOPMOD.

This RECCE rocks with a SOPMOD

Spotterrifle001.jpg

My rifle is a Stag Lower, with a Holliger National Match Trigger.

The upper is a John Holliger Varmint Upper with a match grade 20" stainless bull barrel with 1:7 twist and a Wylde chamber, a ventilated free float tube, custom gas stop.

I have actually been looking at a CAA like this one:

http://www.ar15pro.com/item/60194_Comman...NIPER_STK_.aspx

Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions. It sometimes truly amazes me how mush knowledge is on this forum.

I use a Mag-pul CTR on my Spikes Tactical and depending on how my new LR 308 feals with the standard stock when I finally get to shoot it, It may end up with a Mag-pul PRS Stock.

In my opinion, only one way to find out, try some...

I have after a while come down to a, for me, pretty decent setup,
upper - Sabre Defence 18" mid-length 410SS fluted barrel
lower - DPMS standard
Sights - Sabre Defence stock BUIS and an NSN-DOC with wingmounts
sling - Vickers BlueForce, slightly modified
Sling-adapters - flushcup railmounted front and ACE HK-hook bolt in the rear, near the receiever.
stock - ACE socom, this is the short one and me being fairly tall, it still fits fine in the prone when extended.
When collapsed it is perfect for more intense run-and-gun

By no means a CQB-setup but I like the stock as I can use my fist (or bag) for rear support under the "club" stock and still use 30-round mags with proper ground clearance.
This does however require a slightly raised position of my upper torso but for up to 300-yd shots I can live with it.

Once you try an LMT SOPMOD you won't want anything else... expensive but worth it IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you try an LMT SOPMOD you won't want anything else... expensive but worth it IMO. </div></div>

+1000

<span style="font-style: italic">Lil'Joe</span>,

The UBR is heavier than other collapsible AR/M16 stocks, but its' durable and the comb height (and therefore your cheekweld) remains consistent regardless of the stock's extended length.

I have two UBR's - one on my LWRC M6A2-S, and another I'm going to mount on the lower of an TacSol AR22 buildup I'm working on. I swapped the doors and the combs between the two.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">MRE LWRC M6A2-S upper w/OD & Black UBR, OD MIAD, TD Rail Covers, Trijicon TA11 w/Larue LT-100, & LT-706 + KMW PodLoc:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRSRAACOG28x6.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulLSRAACOG28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">My dedicated Frankenstein TacSol / LWRC AR22 Upper - just need my lower and an American Gold Trigger:</span></span>
TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperRSRABUIS8x6-1.jpg

Keith

I have a LMT SOPMOD on my MSTN 18" and I love it. Very comfortable plus being very solid and stable.
would probably get another one despite costing more than a Magpul ACS.

Magpul CTR may not be the best, but it works well for me. Vltor mod stocks are nice too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you try an LMT SOPMOD you won't want anything else... expensive but worth it IMO. </div></div>

+1000 </div></div>
Put me down for SOPMOD's too. Smoothness, thight lock-up and great ergonomics.
I do, however, like the looks of the UBR. Seems like it would offer more cheek weld while shooting "nose to charge handle".
Aries64, did I understand that the UBR used a proprietary tube?

Another vote for the UBR. I have it on both my AR's.

Robust, comfortable, great LOP adjustment. Much better IMHO than the VLTOR I had before.

I told myself that I would never spend $200 + for a stock and even had plans of selling the SOPMOD that was included with my LMT. Then I tried that SOPMOD and instantly loved it. I now own three SOPMODS.

UBR is the shit if you have a front heavy AR. Makes a huge difference in balance. One of the most sturdy collapsible stocks on the market. The various sling points, fixed cheek weld and overall utilitarian design makes this a very safe choice.

Hell, you can even pull the stock body off and run it like a patriot pistol. Course, I'm not condoning anyone doing so without checking your local laws first.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hatchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does the UBR use a standard mil-spec tube?</div></div>

It comes with it's own proprietary extension.

Enhanced VLTOR is my choice. It may not be the absolute best but it meets a happy medium with quality and price. And money is a HUGE issue for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hatchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does the UBR use a standard mil-spec tube?</div></div>

It comes with it's own proprietary extension. </div></div>
Thanks...that's what I thought.

Get the new colt one if it ever does come out for sale that is. It was at the shot show and it looks like you can still use your upper with buffer/spring
AUSA_Colt_Defense_SCW_5_large.jpg

If someone would make an adaptor to put a Mil-Spec AR15/M16 carbine receiver extention onto the ACR stock hinge, then you'd be all set.

Haven't used that many, but I too instantly fell in love with the SOPMOD.

For your varminting application, either a UBR, SOPMOD or an E-MOD. Depending on the eye releif and mounted position of your optic, the UBR may not be the best choice as the cheek weld position does not move when the stock is collapsed/extended like the E-MOD and SOPMODs.

I vote UBR for your purposes. I think it's the most versatile in terms of a good check weld, and still being somewhat wieldy. If you wanted a CQB buttstock, I prefer the EMOD. For strictly precision work, I don't know of a better choice than the PRS.

I personally like the sopmod thats just my opinion though