• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best hunting scope under 2000.00

Okie93

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2022
Oklahoma
  • What is the platform for the scope? Bolt Action, Tikka, 300WSM
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 300WSM
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 100-600 yds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Illuminated, Lightweight
  • What is the price range you can afford? $2000 or less

I'm trying to put a new scope on my 300WSM. This is going to be used for hunting purposes out to 500-600yds. Shots can be all the way down to sub 100yds as well. I keep coming back to the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 in the Illuminated Fire Dot or TMOA reticle also looked at the Burris XTR iii in SCR Illuminated. Just wondering if there's a scope out there I'm missing on my short list before I pull the trigger on one. I've went back and fourth between SFP vs FFP. I want this to be as geared for practical hunting purposes and situations as possible. Any feedback or suggestions???

Last edited:
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Illuminated, Lightweight

I'm trying to put a new scope on my 300WSM. This is going to be used for hunting purposes out to 500-600yds. Shots can be all the way down to sub 100yds as well. I keep coming back to the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 in the Illuminated Fire Dot or TMOA reticle also looked at the Burris XTR iii in SCR Illuminated. Just wondering if there's a scope out there I'm missing on my short list before I pull the trigger on one. I've went back and fourth between SFP vs FFP. I want this to be as geared for practical hunting purposes and situations as possible. Any feedback or suggestions???
It's just slightly over your budget ($2,200), but for inside of 600 yards, you really won't need an FFP scope. But, here is my recommendation for the most badass lightweight low-light hunting scope AROUND your price range...

If you have to have IR and FFP, then this one is also only $2,200, but is an absolute monster of a scope...And while it is slightly hefty in weight, it has amazing features and quality packed into a $2,200 hunting scope. I highly recommend this one, if you are looking for a MIL/MIL scope with .1 MIL adjustments, amazing glass, FFP, and IR.

Reactions: Okie93

i got a zeiss conqest v4 4-16x44. its on my lightweight hunting rifle, think i paid right at $800 on a demo unit at red hawk (i say demo but he opened the sealed box right in front of me so i could check out the scope and then gave me demo unit price)

i went with the zmoa t-30 illuminated. perfect scope for hunting for me. i shot steel out 1000 yards with it. tracks perfectly and the glass is super nice.

the huskemaw scopes are nice too. can get the turrets printed with yards if you send them your ballistics. 5-20x50 was really nice but i wanted something a little bit lighter so decided on the zeiss.

If you want to save some coin, and get a badass lightweight hunting scope, that's more than capable at 1,000+, take a look at what Midway has on ridiculous sale right now... I just bought one the other night and it's already on it's way to me. It's only available in MOA (I'm a MIL guy, but I can use MOA, as well), and it wasn't the reticle I wanted, but it's very similar to the Vortex VMR-1 reticle that I'm very familiar with, and being SFP (I'm also an FFP fan), it will work just fine for hunting at the distances I will be shooting here in Alabama. These are built in Japan with Japanese glass (same as NF, Vortex Razor, etc..., so it's a VERY high quality scope for the money. Retail is $1,200, and it's on sale for $749... I couldn't pass it up.

If you want to save some coin, and get a badass lightweight hunting scope, that's more than capable at 1,000+, take a look at what Midway has on ridiculous sale right now... I just bought one the other night and it's already on it's way to me. It's only available in MOA (I'm a MIL guy, but I can use MOA, as well), and it wasn't the reticle I wanted, but it's very similar to the Vortex VMR-1 reticle that I'm very familiar with, and being SFP (I'm also an FFP fan), it will work just fine for hunting at the distances I will be shooting here in Alabama. These are built in Japan with Japanese glass (same as NF, Vortex Razor, etc..., so it's a VERY high quality scope for the money. Retail is $1,200, and it's on sale for $749... I couldn't pass it up.

Appreciate the lead I've been looking at these Zeiss now as well!

Reactions: FuhQ
you def wont be disapointed with a Zeiss. i just ordered a LRP s3 for my competition rifle im building and i use Zeiss spotters as well. they are nice

Reactions: Okie93 and FuhQ
you def wont be disapointed with a Zeiss. i just ordered a LRP s3 for my competition rifle im building and i use Zeiss spotters as well. they are nice
While I’ve had the pleasure of using, shot with, thoroughly handled, and/or sold just about every major alpha-tier scope brand on the market (minus the newcomers like TT & ZCO)… I’ve been personally using Zeiss for 20 years, and Kahles for about 15 now, on my main hunting rifles. Both make incredible optics. 👍🏼

Appreciate the lead I've been looking at these Zeiss now as well!
For the sale price of $750, I honestly don’t think you will be able to beat that Conquest V4 I linked you to. Which is why I put my money where my mouth is, and bought one myself. 😂 I would never recommend anything to anyone that I wouldn’t use myself.

It will go on my Christensen Arms Ridgeline .280 AI for now, and then after deer season I plan to put a Zeiss V6 5-30x50 ZBR, or an LRP S3 6-36x56 MRAD scope on it, and move the V4 to my custom built Browning A-Bolt II 7mm RM. 😉👍🏼

You need to decide ffp or sfp as that will narrow down the field. For me anything over 10x needs to be ffp. Do want to be able to dial or have a reticle with hold overs marked? At 600 yards you are definitely going to have to dial or hold over and likely compensate for wind so I would want a reticle that helps with tha.

The Leupold VX 5HD is a nice scope. I have one on my hunting AR in 3-9x. I've got one expensive scope, a Vortex Razor. But it's the most expensive and heaviest scope I own. Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 FFP in 5-24x are the scopes I use the most. Nice scopes for the money. I paid around $550 for each of them. The Gen 2 is even better. I've seen them on sale for $700-$800. That will probably be my next scope.

4-16x42 ATACR might be the best hunting scope out there. I have four of them. It has enough magnification for longer range shots and isn’t so big and heavy that you need a dolly to move it around.

I’ve had a v4 and they are good scopes, I personally prefer the lht and that’s why my hunting rifle has one right now. For hunting from 0-600 I very much like my lht. It has tracked for 2 years without issue. My biggest gripe is the mag ring is hard as shit to turn.

If you’re wanting ffp and like the bushnell donut reticle the lrhs2 is probably the king here. I don’t like the ring so it’s a no go for me.

a 4-16 atacr would be very high on my list, in fact I’m starting a tikka 6.5prc build and it will likely be my choice

I really like the Burris with the SCR, I bought two to use as hunting/range scopes.

Plenty of people drop Mk5 HD's in the classifieds. Selection of the "right" scope I'd think is going to be dependent on your choice of reticle. So add that to your list of things to review before buying.

@Okie93 The new Zeiss V4 6-24x50 ZMOA-1 showed up today... So far I'm impressed.

New glass on the Ridgeline… Midway was running a 1 time only sale for $749 ($1,199 MSRP) on the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 ZMOA-1 scopes. They’re built in Japan with top-tier Japanese ELD glass. This thing is CLEAR! Exactly how I expected it to be.

I have some older German glass Zeiss Conquest MC scopes, and a Kahles on my main hunting rifle, and I can honestly say I think this scope is going to be a winner. I haven’t looked through it outside yet, but inside it was bright and clear. I will be zeroing it this weekend.

I’m running it on a 20MOA Christensen Arms rail, and a set of Seekins Precision Low 0.82” 30mm rings. With this setup, from my previous zero (used my old scope's zero for boresighting before removal, so should be really close), I have 74 MOA of elevation adjustment from zero... The scope only comes with 80 to begin with (40 up, 40 down from true scope zero). So that means it's nearly a perfect setup, and retains nearly every bit of elevation travel available in the optic. It might end up staying on there. I was originally planning on swapping it onto my custom browning A-Bolt II 7 RemMag, and then putting a Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 MRAD scope on the Ridgeline, but I might just keep it as-is, for a SUPER lightweight hunting rig, that's also capable for LR.

E4EE9555-8829-4AFF-936D-F13713E33046.jpeg
96B12F05-705F-4927-852B-35C0ED725CFF.jpeg
31619B30-66F0-4DDD-81B4-94706CA81F1C.jpeg
0FE632ED-6134-49D8-825E-44CC8E0EAF12.jpeg

I really like the Burris with the SCR, I bought two to use as hunting/range scopes.
Illuminated model? If so, is it usable on 3.3x with the illumination on? I know everyone complained with the US model and how thin the reticle would of been for hunting

Not sure if I should start a new thread or piggyback on this but I'm in a similar boat, need 2 optic recommendations under or around $2k as well:

Platform and Cartridge:
1. Sako 85, 6.5x55 (M action)
2. Sako 85, 300 WM (L action)
30 or 34mm rings only for 300WM - As expected with the L (and XL) actions on the Sako 85 platform, the brass ejects a bit more upwards rather than out and to the side sometimes. It's not particularly severe on this particular rifle, but just to be sure, it will be using Sako Optilock or Leupold QR bases specific to the 85 rather than a pic rail running above the ejection port. This limits me to 30 or 34mm rings available for these mounting solutions.

Intended Use:
Both for hunting, some plinking and target shooting for fun (not competing) with the 6.5x55 (22" aftermarket barrel), but hunting features will still be prioritized.

Conditions:
Varying, but mostly daylight and sunrise/sunset. Both will be fired more from somewhat fixed positions such as a blind, stand, off of a tri-pod, bipod, etc. However, will still use off hand or in improvised positions with a small bag sometimes.

Distances:
~50-500 for both when hunting (depending on animal, etc)
Up to 1k or however far I can go with the barrel and optic on the 6.5x55 when plinking / target shooting.

Specific wants for both:
<32oz and ideally <25oz, 50mm obj
FFP perferred but can live with SFP depending on the reticle
MIL or MOA ticks/hash based hunting reticle (ideally not just a plex, #4, etc.). Christmas tree style grid or additional features that would help as a cross-over reticle would be nice on the 6.5. Approximately something between 3-15x and 5-25x on both.
Illuminated and no thin target reticles or super thick reticles.
Generous eye relief and exit pupil (in other words, a big eye box).
Willing to go a bit over $2k for the right optic, especially if it holds value well enough.
-----------------------------------------------
Current Shortlist and questions, alphabetical by brand:
Burris XTR3 3.3-18x50 - I have an earlier one with the SCR2 reticle already on another rifle and my only 2 complaints is the mag ring is really tight - IMO tighter than QC on something over $1k should allow - and the reticle is a bit thin and hard to see for me under 6x (even when shooting against paper or clean steels).

Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 (300WM only) - Relatively inexpensive option. Downside is one reticle is plex and the other has the horseshoe center, but for how much $ I would save with either, I can live with this. Also, I've received great service the times I've contacted them before buying anything. Have an older Meopro I'm very happy with on a lightweight rifle as well.

Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 - does what I want on paper for ~$1k, but I know the SHV line is a bit long in the tooth now - how do these compare to other options here?
NF NX8 - get the 4-32 as mentioned above for light performance and just run it in the desired mag range?
NF ATACR 4-16x50 - should I even bother with the NX8 above if I can get a used one for around $2k?

used S&B PM2 3-20 (6.5mm only) - I feel like it's a bit excessive when the rifle will be used mostly for hunting, but if the right deal comes along...

Sightron S3 PLR 6-24x50 - just saw this on the SH home page. Looks good for the price other than the eye relief and exit pupil mentioned in the review. Anyone else have feedback on their experience with this?

Steiner T6Xi 2.5-15x50 SCR reticle - Wish it had a tiny bit more magnification for target shooting but seems great otherwise. Anyone have feedback on their experience with this?

Toric 4-20x50 - Haven't seen or tried one in person. How thick is the reticle and anyone have feedback on their experience with this?

Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 - Like the reticle. Never felt like any Vortex bino, scope, red dot, etc, I currently or previously owned was particularly great in any way, but as long as I got one with OK QC (esp with tracking), I never have any real complaints about anything with their products. I assume this product is not an anomaly in any way?

Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 - how is this optic?
Zeiss v6 (various) - how are these assuming I can find a reticle I like?

Ruled out + reason:
Athlon Cronus - 56mm objective only. Happy with an Ares for target shooting but the reticles are a bit finer than I prefer for hunting
Delta Titanium - 4-24x50 - Haven't seen or tried on in person, but it looks like it's #4 based reticle only and for almost the same money, would rather get a reticle I like more
Leica Amplus - reticles not ideal, company seems to come and go in the optic market. Haven't experienced it myself but have heard stories of not good customer support.
March - around the $2k price point, eye relief and exit pupil too small for me (realized afterwards that this is expected per specs / shape of scope)
Meopta Meostar - didn't like the reticles
Swaro Z6 - didn't like the turrets and reticles
Trijicon (various models) - have always received great support from Trijicon, but it seems like most of their scope lineup is EOL - don't want to deal with trying to support an EOL product later on.
Zeiss v4 6-24x50 - on sale SKU linked above - already got one :) No illumination, but otherwise great price for what you get and met all other criteria.

Last edited:
I've used most leupolds, nightforce and some swarovski scopes. I really like the NXS 2.5-10x42 for a pure hunting scope. I also run a NX8 2.5-20 on my 300wsm and it is great in low light in the timber as long as you use the illumination. The atacr 4-16x42 is another favorite, but I just have a hard time with the rotating eyepiece for magnification. Always swings the cover into the way of the bolt when you zoom in.

Current Shortlist and questions, alphabetical by brand:
Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 - how is this optic?
Zeiss v6 (various) - how are these assuming I can find a reticle I like?
These are my 2 suggestions. Especially if you like the V4, you will really love the V6 and LRP S3. 👍🏼

Zeiss v4 6-24x50 - on sale SKU linked above - already got one :) No illumination, but otherwise great price for what you get and met all other criteria.
I liked the first one so much that I decided to buy a 2nd one while on sale and put them both on my main hunting rifles. The glass is amazing for a $1,200 scope, and will not be beat for only $799 on sale. I do wish it had IR, but it is what it is... Hell of a scope for a hell of a price. So, I can't complain.

8845678E-E39D-4D4B-9617-45D9B5AAF15B.jpeg
0E421838-BB59-4264-9732-5AA97BE8F5A4.jpeg

Reactions: penguinofsleep
Personally I don’t trust Leupolds knobs. Infamous for tracking / reliability issues. Do some research. Lotta guys having issues with the em. Maybe why they pop up FS so often.

Nightforce reliability / tracking is another story. Theyre definetly heavy but they can take a beating. Agree with some that a ATACR 4-16x42 is hard to beat, and also for the ranges you’re looking at, the NXS 2.5-10x42 would be perfect.been looking at them for awhile now. I don’t mind an SFP optic for a close to
Mid range gun or where I’m more apt to use the low mag range. FFP optics IMO reticles just too small and the low ranges to be usable.

Although I haven’t personally used them yet, and I’m sure they’re not “the best” hunting optic, but I’ve heard Trijicon Credos aren’t a bad bang for your buck. Got some good hunting mag ranges too. Illuminated. Mils. Decent reticles. Maybe someone who’s got some experience can speak to them better but I’m definetly looking at them hard for my daughters rifle.

Euro optics got em on sale for $6-800 rn too.

Zeiss is the brightest, the V8 and then the diavari T*. S&B T96 is close but the image washes out in broad daylight. S&B classic is ok, about on par with the kahles helia and meopta meostar. all of these are excellent quality glass.
nightforce is ok, but I dont consider them to be a superior low light scope.
somewhere far down the tree is leupold.

Illuminated model? If so, is it usable on 3.3x with the illumination on? I know everyone complained with the US model and how thin the reticle would of been for hunting

I don't have the illuminated model, it's usable at low power in daylight, would not be great at low light with an animal in the shade. The SCR is thicker and for an FFP is good for hunting IMO. The Illuminated model would work great.

Illumination on 11 in the middle of the day on 3.3x at 100 yards. I’d say reticle is useable, but illumination nowhere close to daylight bright.. The illumination is visible at lower light when it’s necessary though. No problem seeing it at evening hours.

FA84D3ED-5745-4B84-A8A2-BDDA6D02F796.jpeg

The trijjicon credo and tenmile are very nice scopes. I got one of each from eurooptic and was very pleased

Glad to hear it. Been eye balling a few on euro’s site. Can’t beat the price.

No you can’t. I’ve only got to shoot them to 700 yards, but at that distance they have tracked back and forth, and return to zero perfectly. I like a 2nd focal scope for hunting, and believe these to be a solid choice

Reactions: HogsLife
Made my decision but just curious - it looks like the Zeiss V8 won't come back out until next year? Also a bit perplexing to me why the v6 isn't available with illumination but the v4 is - is the V8 going to have any illuminated reticles?

Made my decision but just curious - it looks like the Zeiss V8 won't come back out until next year? Also a bit perplexing to me why the v6 isn't available with illumination but the v4 is - is the V8 going to have any illuminated reticles?
and what did you decide?

Vortex LHT 4.5-22. More by process of elimination than anything. As mentioned before, doubt it will be mind blowing in any way, but as long as I get one with OK QC, it's a "safe choice".

Runner ups were the Sightron S3 and NF ATACR 4-16x42:
S3 PLR - seems like it was done by the same OEM (Kenko Tokina) as the LHT to slightly different specs, with about the same level of technology, street prices are close. S3 PLR looks like it's a little more target shooting oriented though, so going with the Vortex.
ATACR - per the few people I asked who have seen both, 4-16x42 ATACR >= LHT for glass / image quality (not a huge surprise given that 4-16 is "previous gen" ATACR). Tracking is about the same. ATACR is more robust, has better turrets, and better other "nice touch stuff" vs the LHT is "good enough" in these areas, but it's still 30oz vs 21.7oz and about 2x the price.

Burris / Steiner - I went outside and dusk and dawn with the SCR reticle again on my current Burris several times. Realized this was going to be a bit like me "forcing" something to work rather than "it just works". Also, yes, the Burris is fine, but at the same time yes, glass could be slightly better.
used S&B - couldn't find the right one for sale used within this time period
Zeiss LRP, NF ATACR 4-20x50, Tract Toric - didn't realize these were that heavy.
NF NX8 - can pay a little more and get an ATACR. This is also not much lighter than the ATACR.
NF SHV - got to talk to a handful people who have one and apparently for the same money the image quality and several other aspects of the optic are either not as good or at best par with the other newer options here. i.e. old tech vs new tech.
Zeiss V6 - no illumination and still not a huge fan of the reticles. I can let it slide with the v4 going on sale for $800 as the reticle is still workable, but not at $1500+ with the v6, even if the v6 has better glass
Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 - want more than a plex reticle and the FFP option with the horseshoe center doesn't seem ideal for hunting.

And most people never even wonder as to why that is… 😂
Mark 5 are super common scope
Among some of the best shooters out there.
For the price there isn’t anything that blows them out of the water.
Before the Ziess which are good.. they just finally got a
Affordable FPF in the S3 the s5 is much better but at the price of a zco
Mark 5 is hard to beat for the price and lifetime warranty

Mark 5 are super common scope
Among some of the best shooters out there.
For the price there isn’t anything that blows them out of the water.
Before the Ziess which are good.. they just finally got a
Affordable FPF in the S3 the s5 is much better but at the price of a zco
Mark 5 is hard to beat for the price and lifetime warranty
Leupolds glass has always been good. Same as their warranty. Unfortunately the chances of having to use that warranty are pretty good too.

Reactions: FuhQ
Vortex LHT 4.5-22. More by process of elimination than anything. As mentioned before, doubt it will be mind blowing in any way, but as long as I get one with OK QC, it's a "safe choice".

Runner ups were the Sightron S3 and NF ATACR 4-16x42:
S3 PLR - seems like it was done by the same OEM (Kenko Tokina) as the LHT to slightly different specs, with about the same level of technology, street prices are close. S3 PLR looks like it's a little more target shooting oriented though, so going with the Vortex.
ATACR - per the few people I asked who have seen both, 4-16x42 ATACR >= LHT for glass / image quality (not a huge surprise given that 4-16 is "previous gen" ATACR). Tracking is about the same. ATACR is more robust, has better turrets, and better other "nice touch stuff" vs the LHT is "good enough" in these areas, but it's still 30oz vs 21.7oz and about 2x the price.

Burris / Steiner - I went outside and dusk and dawn with the SCR reticle again on my current Burris several times. Realized this was going to be a bit like me "forcing" something to work rather than "it just works". Also, yes, the Burris is fine, but at the same time yes, glass could be slightly better.
used S&B - couldn't find the right one for sale used within this time period
Zeiss LRP, NF ATACR 4-20x50, Tract Toric - didn't realize these were that heavy.
NF NX8 - can pay a little more and get an ATACR. This is also not much lighter than the ATACR.
NF SHV - got to talk to a handful people who have one and apparently for the same money the image quality and several other aspects of the optic are either not as good or at best par with the other newer options here. i.e. old tech vs new tech.
Zeiss V6 - no illumination and still not a huge fan of the reticles. I can let it slide with the v4 going on sale for $800 as the reticle is still workable, but not at $1500+ with the v6, even if the v6 has better glass
Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 - want more than a plex reticle and the FFP option with the horseshoe center doesn't seem ideal for hunting.
I just cant pull the trigger on that scope yet until they make revisions. All the threads of it losing zero if bumped etc is a no go for me for a hunting rifle. I cant confirm zero everytime I bump the scope hard against something. Hopefully they have already fixed the issue but im not sure.