• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best load for Savage 10FP 308

SturmHead

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
Ky
I have a new Savage 10FP. So far I've tried military ball (for rough sight-in), M118 match, Federal 165gr btsp, and Federal 168gr bthp match. The Fed match gave best group at around 2MOA. I have iron sighted gas guns that shoot better than this.

For you Savage shooters, what bullit, load, and/or factory load are you getting your best accuracy?
Any other accuracy tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Best load for Savage 10FP 308

A) wait for breaking to have transpired before making any serious condemnations (or excess praise) of the shootability of the gun. This takes on-the-order-of 200-250 rounds, with several good cleaning cycles.

B) use the best ammo you can afford. Try Federal Gold Medal Match 168 or 175; or try Black Hills Red Box 175 Match. Use these as the gold standard for factory ammo.

C) after you know the shootability of your well broken in gun with FGMM, then you are in a position to start reloading if you want better accuracy.

D) if you cannot get better than 1 MoA with FGMM with a certified good shooter at the trigger, then have a good gunsmith take a look-see over your gun to see if something is amiss.

E) if you yourself cannot get better than 1 MoA with FGMM and a certified good shooter can, then add practice time you your quest.

Copper fouling will mess up accuracy, and it will be pronounced in a new barrel (rough). You need to clean the barrel thoroughly when changing brands of bullets. JB Bore Cleaner will remove the fouling and smooth the barrel while doing it. Accuracy should improve.

I have a Savage McM that will easily shoot 1/2 MOA with 175 SMK's.

Proper barrel break in has been tooted as a must through not really necessary. After loading and shooting many barrels there is no doubt in my mind that it is a must. Savage barrels are rough and take more work to break in, but, the reward is accuracy you can see and easier cleaning down the road.

I would recommend to clean your barrel well using Butch's bore shine and if the blue (copper) is still present try some Sweets 7.62. Then make believe its a new barrel and shoot and clean thoroughly between each round for five rounds. (no blue on the patches)

Then shoot two rounds and clean, repeat twice more. You should see the cleaning as easier and the blue will be minimized each time you clean. Following that shoot 5 rounds and clean. Repeat twice.

Don't get me wrong this is work and will take several hours at the range if you do it right.

Savage barrels will never be as slick as a Kreiger or Hart, but with the accuracy I get, I'll put up with the Savage barrel for probably 2000 more rounds.

Tony
Longtrain

Try to see if you have copper fouling in the bore, like they said. Some Savage barrels can generate lots of it, when new.
Clean it very well from copper. I use WipeOut and it's almost magic efficacy wise.
If, after a very good cleaning, the barrel still generates lots of copper fouling after, say, a 50 rounds shooting session, you may want to try Tubb Final Finish.
I'd use only an hand full of rounds, on the finest grit of the scale.
You may also want to check if your action screws are tight enough. Same the scope base and scope ones. I'm assuming you 100% trust your scope to hold zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a new Savage 10FP. So far I've tried military ball (for rough sight-in), M118 match, Federal 165gr btsp, and Federal 168gr bthp match. The Fed match gave best group at around 2MOA. I have iron sighted gas guns that shoot better than this.

For you Savage shooters, what bullit, load, and/or factory load are you getting your best accuracy?
Any other accuracy tips would be appreciated.
Thanks </div></div>

I got a new 10FP LE2b 26' almost 3 years back. With good components, I would get some decent .5 moa/5 shot groups here and there, but the rifle never grouped consistently. I started out with the David Tubb Final Finish polishing bullets and did the shoot once, clean once x5, shoot two, clean x5 yadda, yadda, yadda.

Back in September/October, I considered selling it and getting something like an FN, thinking my Savage wasn't one of those half inch wonder guns for Schlitz beer money. I have other rifles to shoot and I kind of gravitated to them more and more, kind of depressed. At that time, a buddy picked up his first bolt gun--a CZ-750 Tactical and we started shooting once a week, me doing the reloading for the both of us.

I had about 700-800 rounds through it when I went out one day and heck if I didn't start getting consistent .5-.75 MOA groups with the 168 SMKs and 185 Scenars I thought I had shot in her before. I'm not talking about a few groups here or there, in a session, but 16-17 out of 20, really measuring between that 1/2" and 3/4" range.

Something happened and I don't think that my shooting got better, nor my recipes, but the barrel turned and turned for the better. Now, 800 rounds later, I can say that those one inch groups are really my fault and not the rifle's or ammo's. It's kind of uncanny, but it's a nice rifle now.

I've used USP/JB's bore paste on it and have fluctuated between a deep clean to the bare metal and not really cleaning it (light scrub with Kroil) after a 75 rd day and it still shoots great.

Last week I took it to a 1000yd range and during a thunderstorm, went in and bore pasted it. The fellow running the range had a Hawkeye bore scope and scoped it for me. He said there was a small amount of copper still left, but the bore looked pretty damn good. This guy always refers to Savages as 'damnSavages' so he's not a fan of the brand, but the bore was in great shape he said.

He did notice some chatter marks in the chamber, which isn't uncommon for a cheaper factory barrel, but I don't have issues with extraction unless I load some hot rounds and then it's mostly a stiff bolt.

By the way, the Manatee 1000yd guys were of the mindset that all that junk has to come out so they fall into the 'clean down to the bare metal' crowd. Bore paste is a must in their minds and it will remove copper if you give it enough strokes. The owner who shot for 26 yrs on the USMC shooting team felt that Sweets and other harsh chemicals for removing copper weren't the best, but the bore paste is what one should be using, just for reference.

I shot 50 rounds Friday and clocked them. I noticed on cold bore shots, I was getting some higher velocities after that thorough cleaning I did last week but they dropped to normal after only a few shots...as the barrel warmed. I'd never seen this before, even after I've pasted it, but we really did a scrub job so maybe that was it?

I haven't cleaned it out yet and I'm still on the fence about the 'bare metal' cleaning, so I'll mull it over before I do either a light clean, or run some paste down it.

I know 700 rds is a lot of ammo to shoot, before finding the sweet spot, but you might just have to be patient and bite the proverbial bullet.

Chris

Sturm

I too was very dissappointed with my Sav 10-FP for yrs. But then as I read more on bbls and claning I came to realize, there are bbls and then there are bbls. The notation that Sav bbls arn't Krieger, Snider, Broughton etc is very spot on! Importantly is the notion that what we got for the price we paid is likely right on as well.

That said there are some things you can do to improve accuracey.

As Chis so well noted there are always first things first like; 1-establishing a thorough bbl break-in cleaning regimen. 2- bbl polishing, i.e. the Tubb process or even do it yourself hand lapping. I did both, and found results with the latter.

When I did the Tubb process, I used the entire kit. My bbl was so bad even with a thorough cleaning with Sweets, Butches, CR-10, Bore Tech and all the other super cleaners, my bbl still only shot 5/8 7/8 groups (thats consistantly) after the Tubb process. Then I tried my own hand lapping. I used 800 silicon carbide and Rig as recommended in several Precision Shooter articles and one from American Rifleman (same author different information but still the same gist)(by the way, after the fact, I'd recco to anyone new trying this, to use aluminum oxide as a first choice as it is a little less abrassive and Non-Imbedding as is the Silicon Oxide).

Again drawing from inforamtion glaned from PS magazine, My bbl looked like the hand drawings from an article on Hammer Forged Bbls. When bores are deep drilled, there ar annular rings (circular)left down the tube, then bbls are rifled using any of the the various methods. Our bbls depart from the custom bbl makers in that, Sav does not hand lap the bbls after deep drilling and then again in several staged process as does the Custome Bbl Maker (thus the priciness of their bbls) and so you get what we pay for.

Hand lapping for me, took out the annualar rings and left the light striations linear to the axis of the bore as seen in PS advertisers photos of good bbls vs. baaaad bbls (Gradiient Lens Bore Scope and similar articles in PS).

So what is the outcome. Well to be honest Im still measuring this (unstastically); in essence just by shoot and observe. My best load after Tubb (AT) was 45. grns of RL-15 in Lapua cases fired off by CCI- BR-2's and topped with 175 SMK's. Life after hand lapping (HL) is still the same. I see some percieved or real group shink difference but as Chris or one of the others said, you (I in this case) have to shoot alot more to establish real hard data/info as to how (my) your particular rifle shoots. The jury is still out on mine. Also as stated above by the other guys, check your screws, Stock and Scope and Bases! Then measure any significant or insignificant differences pre and post lapping.

I've also found a nice 190 grn SMK load that I'm refining, that seems to be even more accurate than the 175's. What it's really about is accuracy and as Chris duely noted, CONSISTANCY!

That said, anyone who reads this belated post is welcome to e-mail me and I'll explain the process I used to HL my bbl.

Good Shooting to you and all the others.

Doug

I could not be happier with my factory 12fv .308win. It will shoot 180grn NBT's around .5"+,-

I can't imagine spending all that $ to get custom to shoot the same. But then maybe I just got lucky and got a good rifle out of the box.

I have a buddy who had a 10FP with the McM stock and a good Premier Reticle Leupold Mk 4 scope on it. We went to a sniper comp with it and he cleaned the unknown distance targets and the bonus target (maybe because of the good spotter he had.... me).
He shot the second tightest group at 100yrds out of 30 shooters. At that time, we were both shooting my hand loads. 168 gr Berger VLD's, 42 gr of Varget, Federal cases and CCI Benchrest primers. I know to some it seems a light load but I shoot consistant sub-MOA groups with my rifle. I figure if it ain't broke, why try to fix it.

I'm sure that there are exceptions in every case but if I knew that I was going up against a Savage 10FP in a competition, I would figure to have my work cut out for me.

Indiansinger

Not too mild a load. I have 43 gr of Varget behind my 180's.

Unfortunatly working nights, having a >1year old and marriage prevents me from competition. Maye later when I get some years and patience on me.

165 Gr SGK, 44.3 gr of h335 powder & CCI primers. <- nice strong accurate load. Real nice & consistant MOA groups. (wont state numbers as some moron will for sure rip me a new asshole)

Works great for my 10FLP.

Ran out of SGK's so we switched over to some remmy 165 psp cl-wc's and 42 gr of h335 to start out with (havent shot these yet) hopefully i'll try'em out soon.

I also tried some hornady moly's in 168 w/ the same powder charge, saw no difference in anything. but thats a whole nother can of worms.

I began reloading when I bought my 10FCP HS last Feb. It has been very consistent and easy to load for. I have gotten consistent 1/2" @ 100 groups with both the 155 Scenars and 175 SMK's.

Lapua Case
Varget
CCI200 Primers
175 SMK/155 Scenar

Every rifle is going to like something different (IMHO). That said, I just recently picked up a Savage 10 FP and only have 60 rounds through it.

Out of 60 rounds, I tested 7 different loads at 100 yards. My "best" performer (only God know why) was Remington brass trimmed 2.005 and flash-hole uniformed. Federal 210M primer, 168gr SMK over 39.5gr of IMR-3031. They were seated 2.80 and chronyed (avg) 2746FPS. 5-shot 100-yard groupsize was .607 with 4 shots (all touching) with the 5th (a flyer) after a 15-minute range halt.

http://www.drinkfromthefirehose.com/images/FPgroup.jpg

I shot this group off a bipod seated and was not at my best due to medication-induced tremour (I'm disabled with a spinal injury). My next time out (for load developement) I plan to use a bench-resting device as I know that I'm the "weak link" in this shooting platform.

As always - YMMV.

i shoot,model 10 fcp,45 gr,varget,155 nosler custom comp.20 bucks for a hundred,or the 155 amax,cci br2 primers,lapua brass,with 2 thsd neck tension,1/2 moa consistently,550 yrds i expect 1 1/2 to 3 inch groups all day,as long as i do my job.2.80 oal.the twist on ur barrel is important as to bullet selectoin.mine is 1-10,tryed 46 grns of varget but it opened the groups up a little bit.

Savage 10fp HS Stock - +1 for the 155 A-Max. My load is a little warm but that is where she shoots the best. 46 grains Varget, .016 off of lands.

Here is a video of my fartherest chuck for 07 with my 10FP @ 924 yards : )

924 yard chuck video link!

url]
[/img]

Good luck
JamieD

The weather was good and I had the time and I finally got to get my Savage 10fp out again and shoot the loads I worked up to find my maximum load. I used IVI military brass (I have a lot of it), Federal match primers, Varget powder, and 175gr SMK. I started at 36.5 and went up to 41.0 grs when I just started to get signs of high preassure. I shot 5 shot groups as I went up in charge wt.. my groups went 1/2" to 1 1/4" center-to-center (big improvement). I'm going to try 37.5 and 40.0grs of Varget and see how the groups average, and go from there.
Thanks for the help!

These grouped well in my 10FP McMillan last week. YMMV.

168SMK
43.1 Varget
CCI 200 Primer
BHA Brass 2.005
2.810 COAL
.512 @ 100m

168 AMAX
43 Varget
CCI 200 Primer
FGMM Brass 2.005
2.812 COAL
.482 @ 100m

Hey anyone, did you ever get back out to the range and try those loads again?

Those loads at 37.5 and 40.0 appear to be at lower/secondary accuracy nodes.

I would refine them to the tenth, and use them whenever LR performance is not at issue.

But if there is any intention of using the rifle at distances beyond 600yd, I'd give serious thought to finding the accuracy node that's just below the max pressure band.

I would reserve such loads for LR shooting only, as unleashing such mayhem inside a rifle's throat without adequate reason is simply bad economics. Replacement barrels, good replacement barrels anyway, are not a cheap resource.

Greg

I had the best luck with my 20" 10fp at 45grains varget 168 bthp sierra, fed 215m. 1/2moa easy NECK SIZED ONLY. Anything full length shot over 1 moa.

depends on the temp outside, but with either a sierra 175 or a hornady 178 amax, 2.45 over all length, 44 gr rl15, winchester primers and brass it shoots sub moa at 200

I am shooting a Savage FP10 with a Mcmillan stock and 24 inch barrel. About 300 shots down the tube.

It's settled, after another day at the range testing loads I am picking my load. It is 168grn Sierra Match King with 45 grns of Varget CCI std primer(because that is all I can find around me) RP brass, fully prepped, including trimming to length using a LEE trimmer, chamfering inside and outside of mouth, preping both sides of the primer pocket. Seating to 2.810 with a touch from my LEE crimping die. As a final step I am Moly coating the bullets (just because I have the stuff to moly coat bullets).
I picked up the last 3 lbs of Varget my sporting goods store had today and am ready to go into production.
SScott

I would suggest this instead of molycoating the bullets. I would try (starting with) about 1/2tsp of moly powder added to the propellent container and gently agitating until it is reasonably evenly distributed within the container. Either way the bore gets coated, but the propellent method allows adjustments.

I do this with Graphite powder, as I am still holding back from committing to moly. Dry lube is dry lube. The Graphite can be cleaned from the bore somewhat more easily if need be.

A lot of this may be redundant, as graphite is present in all of the older propellents, may still be present in the more modern ones, and moly may be in there with the newer ones as well, right from the factory.

When people talk about using dry lube as if it were a new thing, as if it wouldn't be there unless they added it, I get a chuckle.

Greg

Interesting thought, adding the moly to the powder.
I wonder if the new powders have Moly or Graphite added. Varget is real clean, and some of the black powders don't seem to be too dirty. I know if I add moly to any of my powders I am going to end up with a black powder thrower.
I did Moly a couple hundred bullets last night, that stuff is like eating Cheetos, the shit gets every where. LOL
SScott

I got my 168 combined technology ballistic silvertips(noslers in black) last week, loaded five with 44.5 grains of imr-4895 and went and shot a .360 group at 100. Went back out yesterday after loading some more and shot a .4 3 shot at 100, then a 1.1 in 3 shot at 300 and a 2.0 in 3 shot at 300 off the bipod. not sure of velocity but will check soon. Norma brass and br-2 primers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flopduster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my 168 combined technology ballistic silvertips(noslers in black) last week, loaded five with 44.5 grains of imr-4895 and went and shot a .360 group at 100. Went back out yesterday after loading some more and shot a .4 3 shot at 100, then a 1.1 in 3 shot at 300 and a 2.0 in 3 shot at 300 off the bipod. not sure of velocity but will check soon. Norma brass and br-2 primers </div></div>

Man,
It sounds like you are there, set up the press and start makin bullets.
What gun and stock do you have?
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flopduster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my 168 combined technology ballistic silvertips(noslers in black) last week, loaded five with 44.5 grains of imr-4895 and went and shot a .360 group at 100. Went back out yesterday after loading some more and shot a .4 3 shot at 100, then a 1.1 in 3 shot at 300 and a 2.0 in 3 shot at 300 off the bipod. not sure of velocity but will check soon. Norma brass and br-2 primers </div></div>

Man,
It sounds like you are there, set up the press and start makin bullets.
What gun and stock do you have?
SScott </div></div>

savage 10fp centerfeed with the tupperware stock...plan to shoot some more this weekend and see if it maintains these levels, i may also try r-15 since I picked up a can right BEFORE loading these.

May I suggest that you purchase the current issue of Handloader magazine (Wolfe Publications)? There is an article by a fellow you fired 2000+ rounds testing componets in a TRG 308. The results were surprising in some respects but certainly well worth the price of a magazine. His third best load (Bergers VLDs won't feed in a gas gun) put 5 in 3/4" from my DPMS TAC 16" carbine with a 6X scope.

DirtySteve,

Are you getting any pressure signs at 47.1 grains of rl15 under 168grain pills? It is a compressed load, yes?

I have loaded the Hornady amax and SMK 168s at 42.8gr with good results but went no farther as that is the listed max in the Alliant manual.

But then, I am not a bold Texan!

Posted this in the Varget thread, but thought I'd deposit it here too:

Rifle:
Savage 10FP in McM A3, stock 26" barrel (with badger thruster brake).

Load (derived with OCW Method):
Lapua brass (fully prepped)
BR2 Primer
175gr SMK
44.5gr Varget
Seated .015" from lands

Temp: 58.7 degrees F
5-shot data: 2761 FPS avg, STDEV: 5.55, ES: 13

Chrono reading taken 10ft from muzzle w/ CED M2.

Haven't measured yet, but test group is easily sub .5 MOA.

Here's what I came up with recently

Bone stock 10FP sans accutrigger. 24" tube.

Load:
Hornady Brass
BR2 Primers
175gr SMK
43.5gr Varget
COAL: 2.800

Temp: 20F

.4 MOA

DISCLAIMER: Work up to this load if YOUR rifle for safety purposes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Copper fouling will mess up accuracy, and it will be pronounced in a new barrel (rough). You need to clean the barrel thoroughly when changing brands of bullets. JB Bore Cleaner will remove the fouling and smooth the barrel while doing it. Accuracy should improve.

</div></div>

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, what's your JB 'routine'? I've just been using WipeOut so far.

44.8 grains varget 168smk's C.OAL 2.8 -2.810 depending on mood. Nosler brass neck sized only gave me a .383 the other day and several .23s-.5's with 3-4 shots and one flyer making for 5 shot groups of .65-1 inch . The flyers were def all me. this was shot off a bipod with several layers of clothing and gloves btw.

155 Nosler competition
43.2g RL 15
LC LR case
CCI primer

5 shot sub MOA at 100 yds from 20" factory barrel in a bedded Choate stock. Could drive bullet harder but this has been a very accurate load. Barrel does foul more than I think it should but JB seems to get it out without too much work.

I ran 44.8 Varget under 168 Amax's at 2.845 oal (and they fit int he mag). CCI primers and 8.5X11 sheets of paper with little diamonds for lots of little bughole groups.........