• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best of both worlds…EDC and Comp 9mm gun combined?

EDC and Comp Gun Combo

• Faxon FX-19

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pewpew300WM

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2019
West Central PA
I’m in the market for a new edc and comp gun combo. I have looked at just building a Glock or Sig from the ground up, but recently found some nice pre done options. They are zev oz9c elite hyper comp, shadow system mr920 and the faxon fx-19. I’m leaning toward the zev due to the compensator being build into the barrel and not adding any extra length. Anyone have recommendations on any other options or models I’ve missed along the way?

Probably not the most ideal combo depending on what type of competing you’re doing, but I carry my MR920 Elite and have used it in some team matches with pistol targets.

I’ve had it for 2+ years now and don’t really have any complaints. It does well with the light and RDS, carries comfortably, and seems right at home under heavy use.

I’m not too familiar with the Faxon, but I have played with plenty of Zevs. While I do like the Zevs, the SS does not give up much in terms of fit and feel, and certainly not when you consider the difference in price. Ultimately I think a 17 frame would do you much better for the comp side of things, but most of the Gen3/4 G19 based designs are going to do pretty well for what they are. It’s mostly going to come down to personal preference or specific use.

669A8EA5-B00A-466D-BCE0-6C5E367413BA.jpeg

what competitions are you planning on doing? most will put you in open division if you have comp/porting.

Reactions: pewpew300WM
Probably not the most ideal combo depending on what type of competing you’re doing, but I carry my MR920 Elite and have used it in some team matches with pistol targets.

I’ve had it for 2+ years now and don’t really have any complaints. It does well with the light and RDS, carries comfortably, and seems right at home under heavy use.

I’m not too familiar with the Faxon, but I have played with plenty of Zevs. While I do like the Zevs, the SS does not give up much in terms of fit and feel, and certainly not when you consider the difference in price. Ultimately I think a 17 frame would do you much better for the comp side of things, but most of the Gen3/4 G19 based designs are going to do pretty well for what they are. It’s mostly going to come down to personal preference or specific use.

View attachment 7800535
So I was looking into the same model you have above. Under my dealer portal it says you don’t need a baseplate for the holosun but when I look at the stock photos and your photo it looks like there is a filler in the rear, kinda similar to a sig setup. Can you verify?

So I was looking into the same model you have above. Under my dealer portal it says you don’t need a baseplate for the holosun but when I look at the stock photos and your photo it looks like there is a filler in the rear, kinda similar to a sig setup. Can you verify?
Mine came with I think 3 filler plates of varying thickness. IIRC I used the largest one for the 508 and it was a perfect fit.

I think “baseplate” refers to not needing an adapter to run that particular optic with the thread footprint on the slide.

Mine came with I think 3 filler plates of varying thickness. IIRC I used the largest one for the 508 and it was a perfect fit.

I think “baseplate” refers to not needing an adapter to run that particular optic with the thread footprint on the slide.
I was hoping they were just direct milled for a holosun or trijicon, either way though looks like a solid build

I was hoping they were just direct milled for a holosun or trijicon, either way though looks like a solid build
To be clear, they are “direct mounted” to the slide. There is no adapter plate between the bottom of the optic and the milled surface.

The slide is milled to accept optics of varying lengths and sizes, so the filler plate that I’m referring to just fills the gap between the back of the optic housing and the end of the milled part.

8B216593-E397-4EC2-8D7D-546FF1B61D35.jpeg

I haven’t shot the Faxon, it have owned the hypercomp and MR920 (a few variants actually).

I shoot mostly 2011s and a heavily modded p320 legion for uspsa and 3 gun so I’m partial to the Zev grip angle over the MR920. So I no longer own any shadow systems. The MR920 optic setup is nice if you don’t run an SRO or RMR, otherwise the patented Zev bosses are the best out there.

On to the recoil, the hyper shoots better and will conceal better. I’ve had an OZ9c with the Zev comp and it shot ok. I put a mayhem/evo comp on the MR920 and it shot almost as well but added length. And it’s just not as cool.

I have a side by side video I’ll dig up so you can see it. Any other questions, as away!

EDIT - here's the video of the side by side of each. The hyper has a softer impulse but didn't return to zero as well as the MR920. But I think that had more to do with the fact that is was about 5* and wearing gloves. So, the hypercomp gets my vote!

Last edited:
I haven’t shot the Faxon, it have owned the hypercomp and MR920 (a few variants actually).

I shoot mostly 2011s and a heavily modded p320 legion for uspsa and 3 gun so I’m partial to the Zev grip angle over the MR920. So I no longer own any shadow systems. The MR920 optic setup is nice if you don’t run an SRO or RMR, otherwise the patented Zev bosses are the best out there.

On to the recoil, the hyper shoots better and will conceal better. I’ve had an OZ9c with the Zev comp and it shot ok. I put a mayhem/evo comp on the MR920 and it shot almost as well but added length. And it’s just not as cool.

I have a side by side video I’ll dig up so you can see it. Any other questions, as away!

EDIT - here's the video of the side by side of each. The hyper has a softer impulse but didn't return to zero as well as the MR920. But I think that had more to do with the fact that is was about 5* and wearing gloves. So, the hypercomp gets my vote!
I mainly shoot Glock/kimber but recently handled a 320 and liked the grip angle and design. I’d have to shoot it side by side with the Glock but I feel like the grip was nicer on the 320. I see the post update but the video must not of uploaded with it.

20220204_172414.jpg

DVC-Carry is my EDC, works great for IDPA. Went from mid-pack with a Gucci Glock to consistently top three in my local yokel chapter. P365xl for when I have to wear a suit.

The DVC (or whatever Staccato has renamed it) is such a great gun, it'll save you money. When you have something this good, you lose interest in acquiring other, lesser guns.

Buying one gun for two purposes has never worked for me. It just ends up with a gun that ends up being a compromise. buying 2 guns is the answer to your post.
I’m thinking it’s going to end up that way. Really leaning towards a noveske and radian both.

View attachment 7802047
DVC-Carry is my EDC, works great for IDPA. Went from mid-pack with a Gucci Glock to consistently top three in my local yokel chapter. P365xl for when I have to wear a suit.

The DVC (or whatever Staccato has renamed it) is such a great gun, it'll save you money. When you have something this good, you lose interest in acquiring other, lesser guns.
My only issue is I have a kimber ultra carry 2 and I despise the manual safety. With my LE job we don’t carry manual safety weapons and it would add that extra step when I’m not use to having to knock the safety down.

Reactions: Milf Dots
HK, CZ, Sig, Walther, and perhaps Beretta, all have models that you'd love. Trijicon RMR, RMR-CC, or Aimpoint Acro P2 for the win.

My only issue is I have a kimber ultra carry 2 and I despise the manual safety. With my LE job we don’t carry manual safety weapons and it would add that extra step when I’m not use to having to knock the safety down.
It’s not really an extra step. It’s literally right where your thumb goes.

Has anyone checked out the new 365XL?

If I can get just the slide and barrel I might go for one of those to try out.

I did today actually if your talking about the compensated version. It looks pretty nice but I’m just not a fan of the 365xl grip and feel. I’ve sold a ton of the basic 365xls and can’t bring myself into snagging one up.

There are even aftermarket p365XL slide assemblies available, as well as aftermarket aluminum grip modules. Polymer grip modules too.

Real world instances have shown people forgetting to disengage pistol thumb safeties under pressure, and my understanding is that has led LE away from pistols with thumb safeties.

The more training the better, but until someone is in a real world defensive shooting they can't know if they'll remember to disengage the manual safety.

I did today actually if your talking about the compensated version.
Yes. That's exactly what I was referring to.

I haven't seen one in person yet but then again I haven't been trying to see one.

I absolutely love my XL and the way I have it outfitted. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

That said I do have a hogue grip on mine.

There are even aftermarket p365XL slide assemblies available, as well as aftermarket aluminum grip modules. Polymer grip modules too.
There is a new version that has a factory direct integral comp'ed slide.

I wasn't talking about the XL in general but rather the latest update that sig released.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Video is there (here too) if you want to check it out. They look pretty similar but the Hyper-Comp shoots better. If we are talking about the P365...I also put a comp on it ((#complife) and have the PMM comp on my P365X and...I love it. It shoots great! I want to check out the new factory comp (above) to see if it's a better package...despite the gold :)