• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best pistol out of the box for competition shooting

thebigbeardedchef

Seege
Minuteman
I've been doing the research and I'm getting ready to dive into the world of handgun competition. USPSA production and Super Steel are the ones that I'll be aiming for. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Grand Power X-Calibur, the Walther Q5 Match and the Canik TP9SFX. I've got rather large hands. I've been directed to the G17L and a few other glocks but I'm honestly not a huge glock guy but I'm open to arguments as to why I should change my mind. There's also the far off chance I might consider the CZ Shadow 2 but I'd rather keep it under 800(dealer's cost). I've reached out on reddit but I feel as though I'll get a little better response here. Any suggestions?

Most in production will be running Glocks or CZ. Some have started giving the Sig P320 X5 a go. I would tell you what fits your hand best is the one you should go with. I know it isn't much help but pick one do alot if dryfire practice and get out and have some fun at the matches. The gun doesn't make the shooter better especially in production. Most good shooters will shoot anything good they just shoot one better. they are this way because they practice.

The GP X-Calibur looked like it had great potential a couple years back but the lack of importers willing to support it and keep parts available seems to have made it a flash in the pan. Happens to alot of decent but obscure foreign guns.
I'm a CZ fan but if you have bigger hands you might be better off with a Tanfo.

As you said, it's a little out of your range, but I've been quite happy with my Shadow 2. The 17L isn't allowed in USPSA production, but the 34 is, and I've had good luck with mine after several thousand rounds in our local steel challenge matches. While I don't own a Canik, I've had the chance to shoot one of the TP9 variants and wouldn't be opposed to shooting it in a match. I just don't since I'm deep into Glocks and CZs.

Reactions: PistoleroJesse
I have more experience in this realm than I do precision rifle so I'm glad I can actually contribute!

I shot IDPA/USPSA with a Glock 34 for about 5 years. I competed in Production/SSP (respectively) so the modifications were simple and overall my "competition" gun was under $1000. The best thing about Glock is their simplicity and reliability compared to other platforms. Some are going to contradict or maybe even get bent outta shape, but all the matches I've shot and seen stoppages/malfunctions, slim to none were Glocks. The Glock 34 shoots softer (less muzzle rise/flip) than the Glock 17. That's with Asym Ammunition or Speer 147gr, but I can easily notice a difference. My splits don't lie and they are quicker with the 34.

I dabbled with the M&P series prior to Glock and had no issues, I switched only because I got hired with a new department and they issue Glocks. I wanted platform consistency and switched to a 34 since I'm issued a 17. I will say the Glock trigger is better out of the box but everyone switches them in either platform and I've never fired a custom M&P one. BUT, I swear by the Glocktriggers.com edge trigger. I used a lightweight STEEL striker combined with 4lb firing pin spring and with ASYM 147gr never experienced a light strike in two years (about 4000rds).

All that being said, I recently switched to a CZ SP01. It shoots very flat and recoil is basically a thing of the past. I dislike the sa/da compared to striker but I think it's because it feels so new. The biggest issue is the complexity of the firearm. I'm a 1911 fanboy and I can't believe the CZ is more complicated than a 1911 in that regard. Glock, I can have the entire thing completely disassembled in one minute with one punch. The CZ requires a myriad of tools and is very complicated. I haven't had any reliability issues but I've heard its more finicky in regards to spring weights and ammo. I only shot one major match with the CZ and I did shitty but it was because I performed very inconsistent. I'm going to give it another shot this season and see how it does. It's weird, it's flatter and softer than a Glock but it's harder to shoot. In other words while it can perform better, it's harder to achieve those results. The Glock 34 was just easy to shoot and was more forgiving in regards to driving it fast. The CZ is like an on/off switch, you either do great with it or it's harder to shoot well.

In closing, if you are just starting out go with an M&P or Glock. They are pretty interchangeable and have similar recipes to be competitive. Just get which ever feels best in your hands!

Last edited:
Agree with all of the previous replys. If you could shoot a few different platforms and then choose what feels best, that will save you both time and money. Find a platform you like and learn to shoot it. I shot 1911s for 30 years then switched to the polymer guns, went through most of them chasing performance. I really know better, it's not the gun, but the person steering it! Finally for the last 3 years, stayed with the 34 and really learned to shoot it. Much happier and competitive now. Today, with all the technology and competition between gun company's vying for our money, it's really hard to buy a bad gun. Just find one that fits you and spend your money on ammo. Most of the best shooters I know, can pick up any platform and shoot it really well, but they mostly compete with one platform. They learn it and are familiar with everything about it. Enjoy the shooting, be safe, have fun and stick with it. The world of competitive shooting will really make you a much more accomplished shooter.
Mike

CZ /thread.

I have shot USPSA for a few years with a CZ Shadow Custom from the CZ Custom shop. It instantly made me a better shooter from the XDm I was using.

I am actually thinking of selling it if your interested in a used but fully built Shadow. PM me if so.

If not I would strongly look at the Shadow 2 OR the P09. The P09 is the softest shooting pistol I own.

The best is the one you practice with, forget about the 17L, if a Glock is your thing the 34 is all you need.

The Canik TP9SFX is a decent pistol. What I have learned is that if you want to shoot loads in the 125 to 130 PF you will need to change out the guide rod to a Sig 320 one piece and a commander spring from the 15 to 13 pound with a Glock 6 pound striker spring. Which is another added 40 dollars. If you like the Canik and don’t plan on running a red dot look at the SFL.

I have shot USPSA Production for the last couple of years. I started with a G17 that was my first pistol. I then switched to G34, CZ SP01 Shadow, and currently Tanfoglio Stock 2.

The CZ Shadow is great, but I prefer the feel of the grip on the Stock 2. It took a lot of tuning and polishing to get it close the feel of my CZ Custom SP01 Shadow but to me it was worth it.

If I was starting out I’d look at the Shadow 2, it has a larger frame than the legacy CZ 75 pattern guns.

I’ve found the steel frame DA/SA guns provide more mechanical accuracy and are way more forgiving due to the single action trigger. This shows up on longer distance shots (even more so if it’s a partial target presentation)

It’s all personal preference, try as many different guns as you can before investing in a whole production setup.

Go to a range where you can rent the options you are considering and fire them. The advice to go with the model that "feels the best in your hand" is a bit misleading. While I agree that the ergos of the pistol generally contribute substantially to shootability, I think we would all agree that what you are after is the pistol that actually shoots the best for you. This may or may not be the one that "feels the best in your hand". Example: I've never held a pistol that felt better in my hand than the HK VP9. However, I shoot several other models more accurately and reliably than the VP9. In other words, it would be a mistake to believe that comfort translates 100% to accuracy and reliability in a pistol.

Last edited:
Shoot something you already own for starters. Pick up a cheap plastic holster and 3 or 4 mag holders then practice a bit and head out to a local club match. Find someone there and tell them what you're shooting and they'll tell you what division you will shoot in. Then watch what others are shooting and ask them questions. This will give you a chance to play the game and learn about what you want before you spend a ton of money. That's my advice, and I wish I'd taken it 20 years ago. Instead, I invested about $4k in a high end Limited pistol and gear, then went to go play the game. After a few years I ended up switching to a Glock 34 because I was more comfortable with it and it was more fun to shoot. I'm still shooting the G34 today and love it as much as ever. My high end SVI Limited gun sits in the safe waiting for one of my kids to inherit it one day...

Reactions: D. Hargrove
Glock 34 or walther 5” I’ve been using a Glock 34 for 5 years and love it. I ran some drills with the walther recently and was very impressed especially with the trigger.

Started USPSA with an HK USP.
Went to CZ Shadow, didn't like the heavy cleaning routine but loved the way it shot.
Went to Glock 17. Made A Class because I stopped gear whoring and did my dry fire.

Doesn't matter what you shoot. Do your damn dryfire.

Reactions: MCSO1357
I have a CZ-75. It's the only pistol I've had that I shoot fairly well with. It's also the only pistol I've spent a lot of time dry-firing though. You can always upgrade it later as well with a new trigger, and I think a good SAO trigger is going to run circles around anything you can find in a striker fired gun.

A friend of mine got the Canick (however it's spelled) and had to put Glock parts in it to get it to work right.

Reactions: D. Hargrove
My new favorite is the Sig 320 X5, I had been shooting an XDM 5.25 but the new X5 is smoother and just feels better to me.