• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best shipping and hazmat fees?

Rlbol

Master Gunnery Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
FL
I am looking at shipping about 10 to 15 pounds of powder as well as some primers. Having never shipped anything like this what is the best company to deal with? I was thinking USPS would be the least expensive? Does anyone know if the hazmat falls under a specific weight or quantity? Thanks for the help!!

USPS won't deliver hazmat. 50 lb limit on powder. Are you shipping this or buying? Shipping powder is not like shipping shoes.

Since you are asking I would have to say you can not ship. You have to be a certified hazmat shipper to ship through UPS or FEDEX . USPS will not allow powder or primers.

A family member was going to purchase and ship the items to me. In my area there is just nothing in powder and primers! So an individual cannot ship hazmat via ups,FedEx,or USPS?
I am glad I found this out before purchasing it all out of state!

What about carrying on flights or sending in laugage?

Not sure about personal carry on air but UPS and FEDEX will only ship powder and primers via ground shipping. You could ask TSA about it but it may get you on a watch list or a knock on your door. Try a relay from point A to point B with members like we do with rescue Labrador Retrievers. We can get a dog from the east coats to the west coast in about 6 days with the proper planning.

What about carrying on flights or sending in laugage?
Hi – don’t do that. I was advised many years ago (before a flight from AZ, USA to UK, but post 9/11) that if I was found with loose explosive reloading components in my international luggage that the TSA (god bless ‘em) would interrogate and search me anally and then get really nasty. Forewarned is forearmed.

Just looked it up. All powder and primers are considered Haz Mat and require the shipper to be trained and licensed. Exceptions are primers in unloaded brass are not considered Haz Mat and neither is loaded ammunition (ORMD). Not allowed in baggage of any type either.