• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Small Distillery Bourbon

Re: Best Small Distillery Bourbon

Buff Trace has their Experimental collection. Wooden staves from the lower and upper level of an oak tree. Barrels then heavy charred and light charred. Different mash bills put in the different oak barrels. They are seeing what chars, mash bills and wood from different levels of the tree will produce the best bourbon.

Oh... I got what your saying. Hell it's great as is, here in Va the ABC stores are run by the state. I'm lucky to go in there and find 1 bottle of Trace, much less anything else they may produce.

Soon my son. Don't forget to get on the George T Stagg list too.

Got on the list for both PVW and Stagg. Picked up a bottle of 18 year old Elijah Craig single Barrel, looks like a nice experiment.lol

Not from down south, but, there's a rye I like called Whistling Pig. I believe it's from Vermont..

I don't know about the high end stuff...but there ain't never a time that I don't have a bottle of Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek in the house. I tried Beams new Devil's Cut the other night. One thing is for sure...you can taste the wood in it.

I've never tried Pappy or George T Stag, but they are going to have to be exceptional to beat Buffalo Trace for me.

Blanton's is great, and pappy's good too, but expensive dont exactly mean good. For me, Eagle Rare is tough to beat. Of course, it also comes from buffalo Trace, I think I am detecting a trend here.

Prichards is some fine stuff as well. I have only found it in TN as well. The place is somewhere close to Winchester I believe.

Ya had ta go there din ya boyo!?
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvaEJzoaYZk&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvaEJzoaYZk&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I've got a few Rocky Patel red label Sun Growns I'm saving for it. Like a kid waiting for Christmas.

The Bookers is flowing... The pit is alight...... The Saints are almost on...... If you haven't tried Bookers yet, what are you waiting on?

Oh... Add Red Headed Stranger on the audio system piped to the patio.... While 100 or so 300 wsm cases are ultrasonicly cleaning... What a day...

Be carefull with that Bookers....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My uncle, that I hunt with in Tennessee, has influenced me into becoming a connoisseur of fine Bourbon. After a great day in the woods, we would end each evening with a highball of quality spirits. I have gotten away from Wild Turkey 101 and worked my way through the Austin Nichols line (Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed, etc.). After years of bringing a new selection with me for each opening weekend, I think I have found the top of the mountain... Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve from Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery.

Anyone have a selection they could recommend? </div></div>

When my daughter turns 18 I plan to buy a bottle of that 23 year old, or 30 year old stuff - or one child support's payment so all my friends can come over and celebrate with me...

Just finished a glass of Pappy Van Winkle 21 yr old and a Fuego 777 cigar. Great way to end or start a week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just finished a glass of Pappy Van Winkle 21 yr old and a Fuego 777 cigar. Great way to end or start a week. </div></div>Were we brothers, separated at birth?!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be carefull with that Bookers.... </div></div>

Always...... Thankfully, I have grown to appreciate sippin' and enjoying.

Just finished my First bottle of Knob Creek and can not complain.
Last month I bought Makers Mark and this month will be the Bookers.Along with the Knob Creek I had a enjoyable Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill while sitting on the deck and watching the sun go down.

Pappy 15 and Staggs was just bottled the end of september. If you want some put an order in at your liquor vendor. As usual there will be a limited supply. Staggs only distributed once a year and Pappy 15 in fall and spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just finished my First bottle of Knob Creek and can not complain.
Last month I bought Makers Mark and this month will be the <span style="font-weight: bold">Bookers.Along with the Knob Creek I had a enjoyable Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill while sitting on the deck and watching the sun go down.</span> </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pure heaven.</span>

The pappy 15 is awesome, I'm on lists in every store locally to get at least 5 bottles this year. Also don't forget the George T Stagg Phenominal!!

I'll put gentleman jack neat, no ice, just in a glass.. up to any bourbon/scotch/whiskey out there. It's amazing how good this stuff tastes even compared to the "boutique" hooch the title of your thread refers to.

If you like Tennessee whiskey then Getnleman Jack will work. You may also want to try the Single barrel Jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prichards is some fine stuff as well. I have only found it in TN as well. The place is somewhere close to Winchester I believe. </div></div>

Pritchard's Double Barrel is as good as I've <span style="font-style: italic">ever</span> had, and at 55-60 dollars a bottle I consider it a bargain.

Baker's is a fine tipple as well with a mite sweeter finish (vanilla and caramel hints to my palette) than some, making it a great drink for after meals.

A little off-topic (since this thread is about small batch hootch) but if someone is on a budget, give Four Roses a try. It's the best twenty dollar bottle of bourbon I've ever poured over my tongue and stands up well to a couple of the whiskeys mentioned on here.

Whatever you drink, there truly aren't many better things in life than sitting quietly around a fire with friends after a fine meal enjoying a good bourbon, an aromatic pipe or stogie, and watching the Milky Way fill the sky. Some times like that words just aren't necessary...

All this talk of whiskey is making me thirsty for some of the good stuff. Not the domestic, but a fine single malt from the Scottish highlands. Or perhaps a selection from the Isle of Oban. To each their own...

A good smokey peat offering from the Islay Isle is my scotch preference.
If I have to drink scotch.

Aint nothin wrong with a good scotch I enjoy them as much as I do my straight bourbons. Good refine whiskey's (whiskys) is like a good women SMOOTH

Jefferson Presidential 17 year old is the best sipping bourbon I have had in awhile.

Try some of that and report back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jefferson Presidential 17 year old is the best sipping bourbon I have had in awhile.

Try some of that and report back </div></div>

If my local shop has it, I'll have to give it a try.

Stagg is out. Just got the first 2 bottles. Lucked out this year they gave me the box and letter from the distillery with it this time. Now if the Pappy would come out....

Thanks Shibby. That is great news. Mine should be in this week at my shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stagg is out. Just got the first 2 bottles. Lucked out this year they gave me the box and letter from the distillery with it this time. Now if the Pappy would come out.... </div></div>

You still have awhile on that Pappy.....
What year are you wanting?

Just waiting on the 15 year. I prefer it over the 20 and 23, and the price is better.

When can we expect the Pappy in the Virginia shops, I'm getting restless.

I like Knob Creek. We are still partial to "traditional" brandys and second runs around my parts though.

Prichard's Double Barreled Bourbon is awesome.

Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery
Colorado, Southern Illinois (Areas east of St. Louis), Indiana, Nebraska and Nevada orders have shipped.

Shit I'm going to MI to hunt Sunday for a week!!! I hope they hold it for me at the places that I'm on the list.

Started some vacation time at 1500 today and got home chilled out with 2fingers worth of Knob Creek small batch and 5 Vegas Gold cigar. Gonna Kill some deer this weekend and chill with my little brothers and introduce them to small batch Whiskey:)

I start my Vaca on Sat and will be in the field until the 23rd. GL to all you Whitetail hunters. I'm sure our camp will have a couple bottles of small batch squared away.

Try Sweet Lucy, from Kelso TN. It is mighty fine.

The guy purchased an old fire station in TN and started making his Bourbon and tequila. I have not tried his tequila yet, but his Sweet Lucy i have on hand all the time.

Got the call today, my George T Stagg barrel proof has arrived, now if my Pappy would just show.

Got home about 2 hours ago from Deer camp had a couple of good days. Introduced little brothers to Knob Creek small batch and we went through 2 bottles in 6 days and smoked up my 20 5 vegas gold cigars. Their wives are going to kill me since I got them started on 2 new vices. Both called about 20 minutes go and thanked me for the goodies and both stopped on way home to buy more for home. I told both that I would like a bottle of Knob Creek and a 20 bundle of Man O War Runation for Christmas. All I Killed was a small Doe.
Go Back To Work TOMORROW DAMN

So much to be thankful for. Got an email from the the lady who runs my favorite liquor store. She said my order was in. I had ordered some Stagg and a couple bottles of Pappy 15. Walked in the store and she pulled from under the counter the Stagg and 2 bottles of Pappy 15. This was the entire allotment of the two to her store. Then she pulls out a bottle of Pappy 23 and bottle of Pappy 20 and said I had first right of refusal. What was there to refuse....they all came home with me. I did blow my bourbon budget for the month just a little.
Tomorrow will do a pour and light up a great cigar while frying turkeys. Everyone have a great Thanksgiving.