• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best Super BowlQB matchup ever?

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Article today on the best Superbowl QB matchup ever. They noted some good ones but completely left out my pick. Joe Willy Namath and the NY Jets beating Johnny Unitas and the Colts. Been a lot of good ones, but in my memory that was the most dramatic as it was the first time the AFL beat the NFL.

image.jpg

You pick?

Re: Best Super BowlQB matchup ever?

Didn't Earl Morrall start in Superbowl 3? I thought Unitas only came in very late to avoid the shutout.

How about Brady over Warner?

^^^^^You may be right, it was a long time ago and whats left of my feeble little mind doesnt remember so well anymore. I just associate that era of the Colts with Unitas really strongly. And even then the game was really won by the field goal kicker, Turner. But what a game.

Brees vs. Manning is the best I have ever seen, but Montana vs. Marino is probably the best.

Montana vs. Marino
    Montana vs. Elway
    Montana vs. Esiason

Based on the results of those games, who's the best QB ever?
    cool.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRwL1X73fr0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRwL1X73fr0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I would watch vintage NFL matchups whole-heartedly in current date of players!
    Montana vs. Marino
    Montana vs. Elway
    Montana vs. Esiason

Marino. '84 was a long time ago. A better question is best QB considering the whole team.

Elway vs. Favre
    Elway vs. Montana
    Montana vs. Marino
    Favre vs. Bledsoe

Personally, I consider Elway the best to ever play and would pick him in his prime over any other QB in their prime if I was building a team.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on QB rating Montana/Marino was the best. Hard to argue that in any way. </div></div>

Easy to argue solely for the fact Marino never got even close to another superbowl...

I think if you look at it from a career stand point you have Montana with multiple superbowl wins and Elway with multiple superbowl wins

I have to pick Elway/Montana for that reason...

and Elway took his team there 5 times...Marino only once.

and besides the redskins look at who Elway ran into at the super bowl...arguably one the greatest defenses in the 86 giants and the greatest teams of all time (49ers in there prime) when he lost.

I kinda dug the Bradshaw/Staubach matchup in 78 but I love me some Montana of any vintage.

Never was a Joe Willie fan. Seemed better at self promotion than quarterbacking. Always amazes me that his "guarantee" in SBIII still gets so much attention. To my mind it was probably the easiest thing he ever said. If he wins he goes down in history. If he loses, a month later no one remembers that he said it. If he loses, "Who did the Colts beat in SBIII?" is a trivia question.

My top 5 list of the best QB match-ups of all-time. I based this on how good the quarter back was in the season they took their team to the Super Bowl.

1. Super Bowl XIX - Joe Montana vs. Dan Marino
    2. Super Bowl XLIV - Drew Brees vs. Peyton Manning
    3. Super Bowl XLVI - Tom Brady vs. Eli Manning
    4. Super Bowl I - Bart Starr vs. Len Dawson
    5. Hard to choose - Super Bowl XXXIX - Tom Brady vs. Donovan McNabb or Super Bowl XLV - Aaron Rodgers vs. Ben Roethlisberger

Match-ups 4,5, and 6 are basically a tie for 4th. Match-ups 1,2,3 I think are ranked accordingly.

The first post is correct. Montana Marino would be second. The game was different in broadways and Johnny's day.

The Joe Namath one was definitely in my book one of the best.
    Last years superbowl match up was good as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIG MASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Montana vs. Marino
    Montana vs. Elway
    Montana vs. Esiason

Based on the results of those games, who's the best QB ever?
    cool.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRwL1X73fr0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRwL1X73fr0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Even though I picked Namath/Unitas, its hard to argue with Joe Montana. The one catch is would he have been nearly as great if he didnt have Jerry Rice to throw to. Rice (who I affectionately refer to as Long Gain Brown Rice)was argueably the best receiver to ever put on a pair of cleats.

The common denominator was the best QB of all time. Brady will make a push for it...the guy is just a winner.

Peyton has been the best QB in the league the last 7 years or so.

Jake Delhoume vs Tom Brady - Super Bowl XXXVIII

Delhoume 16/33, 323 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Ints, passer rating: 113
    Brady 31/48, 354 yards, 3 TDs, 1 Ints, passer rating: 100

forgot to add: Remember 37 points were scored in the 4th quarter. What a Superbowl!

Damn...a 113 rating completing less than 50%....who'd a thought

better than 20 yards per reception....bad defense or amazing receivers?