• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best thing since full faced helmets!

Idea seems pretty excellent. I'm skeptical about the implementation. I've always wanted a small HUD for riding and for skydiving to display only the info that I actually care about and use instruments to check. Riding track, it would be totally useless, but if I rode street again, GPS map and rearview would be the kitten's whiskers.

I wonder if the GPS lady says, "Stupid bitch on a cell phone is about to run her minivan up your ass, brace for impact."

I wonder if the GPS lady says, "Stupid bitch on a cell phone is about to run her minivan up your ass, brace for impact."

My GPS tends to say "Dumb ass on a bike is about to cut you off. RAMMING SPEED!!!"

I'll take 2, one for me... one for the girl so i don't have to listen to her while i ride.

HA!

Idea seems pretty excellent. I'm skeptical about the implementation. I've always wanted a small HUD for riding and for skydiving to display only the info that I actually care about and use instruments to check. Riding track, it would be totally useless, but if I rode street again, GPS map and rearview would be the kitten's whiskers.

Yeah, I don't ride track, but I'm thinking this is geared for street use, I *think* if I rode track, that I would not want anything distracting me.

absolutely useless for track. Plus its probably on the heavier side of helmets, track usage I want light and a goof field of view. that's all i really care about. o and enough room to throw some headphones in, but that's just me.

Bad Idea; It's hard enough to ride and stay safe with all the distracted drivers on the road without adding yourself to the mix. Now you want to be able to use a cell phone and gps while riding? I've been riding since 69 seen a lot like the way riders react when there rider wants to talk ( speed drops, control loosens, not able to maintain position, etc), if you want to have one of these helmets more power to you, but it adds a risk I'm not willing to take, just my $.02. And yes I realize i,ll probably get hammered by the rest of you but then we do have free speach.

That's awesome!

I understand the concerns raised by grayghost, but I think it's a better option that what a lot of us are doing. GPS mounted on the bars takes your eyes off theroad. Helmet speakers and mics are often crappy, high maintenance and require you to manually activate. Ear buds are a hassle and running an iPod takes your attention off the road. The rear-view camera split-screen is worth the price by itself, those tiny vibrating mirrors usually only give me a view of how awesome I look in my leathers but not the cars behind me.

Looks BA. That said, your brain can only process so much stimulus. Music,phone and whatever will reduce reaction times. Now if a track could put the best lines into the hud with shift point/speed it could be a great tool for new riders.

My GPS tends to say "Dumb ass on a bike is about to cut you off. RAMMING SPEED!!!"

While there are no shortage of Harley jagoffs and Stuntaz, I'm pretty sure the ratio of motorcycles hitting cars and killing the occupants of that car are quite a bit lower than the cheeseburger eating, Facebook status updating reject simply not seeing a shiny motorcycle at the stoplight.

While there are no shortage of Harley jagoffs and Stuntaz, I'm pretty sure the ratio of motorcycles hitting cars and killing the occupants of that car are quite a bit lower than the cheeseburger eating, Facebook status updating reject simply not seeing a shiny motorcycle at the stoplight.

+1

man could have used one of these 10+ years ago when i was doing wheelies on the highway,
would have saved a couple $ in fines :)

Bad idea for a motorcycle rider. Concentrating on the rear view will only make you concentrate less on whats going on in front of you.
As to a bike cutting off a vehicle, hmmm, lets see...bike makes a lane change and is gone so fast you can only react by thinking or saying,"Man ftmr, i shoulda woulda coulda", and when you are done doing that, the bike s long gone.
I liked the Hwy 1 stuff from Nor-cal over Mt Tam, great place to race er ride a bike on a Sunday morning! yeah, it always began as a ride, but by the second turn it was an all out race with dual sport/super motards in front, and 600 - 900 super bikes farther back and 1k's even farther back, and some dude on a two stroke Kawi with a green leather jacket that said LAWSON on the back way out in front on a custom 500 two stroke competition super motard no one could keep up with.

I'm still waiting for shooting glasses with the 1500 yard laser range finder built in...

Wow! That was distracting just watching the video. Somebody is going to get killed from being distracted by that thing. To safely ride a bike you have to have all your senses on high alert!

Bad idea for a motorcycle rider. Concentrating on the rear view will only make you concentrate less on whats going on in front of you.
As to a bike cutting off a vehicle, hmmm, lets see...bike makes a lane change and is gone so fast you can only react by thinking or saying,"Man ftmr, i shoulda woulda coulda", and when you are done doing that, the bike s long gone.
I liked the Hwy 1 stuff from Nor-cal over Mt Tam, great place to race er ride a bike on a Sunday morning! yeah, it always began as a ride, but by the second turn it was an all out race with dual sport/super motards in front, and 600 - 900 super bikes farther back and 1k's even farther back, and some dude on a two stroke Kawi with a green leather jacket that said LAWSON on the back way out in front on a custom 500 two stroke competition super motard no one could keep up with.

The point is not to watch the rear view but to glance at it, it's much more practical then a shoulder check, which you can't argue is more dangerous then a glance.

Wow! That was distracting just watching the video. Somebody is going to get killed from being distracted by that thing. To safely ride a bike you have to have all your senses on high alert!
It's really not anymore distracting then a window mounted GPS you see in a lot of cars these days.

The point is not to watch the rear view but to glance at it, it's much more practical then a shoulder check, which you can't argue is more dangerous then a glance.

It's really not anymore distracting then a window mounted GPS you see in a lot of cars these days.

The main problem with such things is they DRAW ATTENTION TO THEM. They are like a sweet ass or nice pair of tits as you are driving by, you gotta look! You will almost see the same thing with some drivers or new drivers. They tend to watch the mirrors more than where they are going! Again, NOT a good idea for a new or inexperienced rider, and I would not recommend it to an experienced rider either because of the attention draw.

SR 35 / SR 9 - santa cruz mountains for part of that video, my first mountain ride, beautiful area. looks like they stopped for lunch at Alice's

I think I'd be more interested in the military applications of this tech...tie it into a 117G, and integrate other packages (laser range finder, retina tracking s/w, comms suite package, GPS IFF overlays, etc.).

Interesting...

The main problem with such things is they DRAW ATTENTION TO THEM. They are like a sweet ass or nice pair of tits as you are driving by, you gotta look! You will almost see the same thing with some drivers or new drivers. They tend to watch the mirrors more than where they are going! Again, NOT a good idea for a new or inexperienced rider, and I would not recommend it to an experienced rider either because of the attention draw.

Maybe those people shouldn't be allowed to drive. It might elevate a lot of our issues with the roadways...

Love the idea!

If a fighter pilot find this gadget useful it must be worth it.

Add a thermal camera sending the image via WiFi and it would be perfect.

On second thought, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to feed MP4 files and watch movies on the road!

So cool!!!!!

Alleviate, man, alleviate

It's the vehicle manufacturers 'making life easier' with too many gadjets that remove attention from the initial purpose, driving or riding.

Wow, didn't even notice that typo, that one is pretty bad. I apologize for my ignorance there. I have to disagree though, the mirror, a gadget that "makes life easier" increases the situational awareness of the drivers on the road and therefore has lowered the amount of collisions on the road. I think the same is true for this device. Sure if you stare at the mirror the whole time you will crash, not the purpose of the mirror though.

The problem with showing off all the functionality is that it gives a skewed view of the supposed use. Nobody in their right mind should be riding with music, GPS, additional views, map overlay, and weather report all going at the same time.

Now, if I'm going somewhere new, riding with GPS and being able to toggle the map overlay in the corner would be excellent. Much better than looking down at the map on my phone through the clear cover on my tank bag. If I'm riding a route I already know and what to cruise to some tunes, throw those on through the helmet speakers and have at it. If I am at a long stop light and don't feel like staring in the mirrors, toggle the rear view on to make sure I don't get run over. All the functions are useful, just not all the time, and not all at once.

The problem with showing off all the functionality is that it gives a skewed view of the supposed use. Nobody in their right mind should be riding with music, GPS, additional views, map overlay, and weather report all going at the same time.

Now, if I'm going somewhere new, riding with GPS and being able to toggle the map overlay in the corner would be excellent. Much better than looking down at the map on my phone through the clear cover on my tank bag. If I'm riding a route I already know and what to cruise to some tunes, throw those on through the helmet speakers and have at it. If I am at a long stop light and don't feel like staring in the mirrors, toggle the rear view on to make sure I don't get run over. All the functions are useful, just not all the time, and not all at once.

My understanding is that you do toggle the features

When I am on a public road and on a motorcycle I am generally watching out for the people who are trying to kill me and dont see me. I am not good enough of a rider to be able to do that and pay attention to stuff on the side.

When I am on a public road and on a motorcycle I am generally watching out for the people who are trying to kill me and dont see me. I am not good enough of a rider to be able to do that and pay attention to stuff on the side.

That's a decision for riders to make for themselves. I give my respect to people who decide not to ride/drive in situations that don't make them comfortable, instead of being dangerous to others.

I like it and i have been riding for years Might actually make me put a helmet on again......now the big question is how much of a loan do I need to take out to afford one?

Depends on the rider and the situation. Definitely a good mindset you have there. Now consider that for a racetrack, mirrors are an unnecessary distraction. So are brake lights. You take those off. But in normal street riding, they are a must have. It's not that anything that can be distracting should be done away with all the time. It's that things that might be a distraction and don't add appreciable capability and value should be done away with. The mirrors and lights can increase your situational awareness or detract from it depending on their use and the situation. Used judiciously, the features in this helmet can definitely improve one's situational awareness, but as most fear, and I too agree, most users of this helmet will be using it in a way that significantly impairs their awareness. That's not really the fault of the helmet, though. Like many other things we find good use for, it is a tool that can be used to help or hinder someone in everyday life.

It can be said for motorcycles in general that they are a bad idea and should be done away with, based on how a majority of new riders use them. They have lots of extra controls and requirements that detract from one's ability to navigate safely. But that doesn't necessarily mean we should get rid of them. We should just use them smartly.