BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    Z
    Precise enough that the guy who won this region in PRS uses one for his match loads.

The 550 is no less precise than a T7 or any turret.
    So you process the brass with it and get it ready and then use what for powder or how does it do the powder ?

Snuby642

Two Star General
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Guys the Dillon is not holding most of you back.
    Todays shots.
    16517042444013924655027913466677.jpg

No groups just sighting in and verify settings. This ammo 52g speer in sorted range brass over cfe223 is a good plinker. Due to high winds this is a 50 yard target.
    Powder dropped with dillon dispensor.

Point is Dillon is gtg in my opinion.

My 20 inch ar identifies as a bolt gun, only quicker.

First shot off paper, second shot 2 1/2 high. All in all I think up one click and set it or down one and call it set for 100 zero.

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    Think I will stick with my turret press for rifle ammo. For pistol Dillon is an easy choice.

rottenruger

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    May 31, 2020
    So been thinking about making the move to a turret press, mainly because am getting tired of constantly switching and resetting dies in my single stage Rock chucker. I only load 2 calibers at the moment (rifle)I don’t do on turret priming so that’s not really a must have feature and also for what I do I really can’t justify dropping the coin on something like the 419 Zero.

So for you reloader out there that have experience with different turret presses what do you recommend? And are there any disadvantages to turret presses that single stage doesn’t suffer from?

Thanks!
    I've got the T7, which followed the Hornady Single. I'm a Happy Camper.

Reactions: Snuby642

tag2601

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 3, 2020
    texas
    depends on your budget. at the low end I've had great luck with the lee turret 4-hole press.

mid range the redding, possbily others.
    high price end is the dillon setups, although they have a range of capabilities and pricing

jpndave

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 7, 2009
    The T7 is a solid press. I have Dillon progressive, Redding Ultramag and the T7 for in between.

Reactions: Islas82

American Framer

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2021
    Belton,SC
    The only shortcoming of a turret style press is the stiffness and play, but you get the convenience of skipping the die adjustments.

For the turret to rotate, there is generally going to be either some end play (slop) unless the design locks down, like the Zero. That play translates into more than one type of freedom of motion and stiffness, but most users have managed this well enough.

If you are picky about sizing and seating length workmanship, you may need to re-think your die setting process to allow for a little play and lower stiffness, as compared to having just the typical ram and shell holder issues to deal with. Nothing you can't manage. YMMV
    I agree with what you posted. I have a lee turret press which I use for powder drops and bullet seating. It’s a great press but I have found it not being very consistent when sizing my 6.5 and 308 brass for long range. It has to much play. I have to use my rock chucker for sizing. It takes more time but for long range consistency is the key.

ICU22250

Perfectionist
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    WV
    They are all good presses, just buy what you can afford and move on.. I have a T7, 419 Zero, Rock Chucker, Lee APP and a Dillon 1100 and they are all good enough to make quality ammo. The Lee APP is just a deprimer for 9mm. I do however prefer my Zero for my precision ammo, I just love the feel of the zero, silky smooth...

Snuby642

Two Star General
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    My lee APP deprimes everything.
    It's swager works. Have not tried it on handgun brass yet but figure ok for sizing.

ICU22250

Perfectionist
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    WV
    I
    My lee APP deprimes everything.
    It's swager works. Have not tried it on handgun brass yet but figure ok for sizing.
    Haven't tried anything else but 9mm on it, I have a Dillon case feeder attached to it. I have to admit, it is a finicky little bitch to get setup and running well, or at least it was for me, hence why I haven't swapped calibers on it. I deprime most everything else on the rock chucker.

Snuby642

Two Star General
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Yes a finikey bitch to set up for 223 range brass.

Beginning to figure problem is case lenght related. Some are long and hang up.

Wish I had a 3D printer to make a couple of parts. Maybe a offset funnle to load brass by hand dropping.

Still would save grabbing finished hull and setup / tube filling.

Sad

ICU22250

Perfectionist
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    WV
    Yes a finikey bitch to set up for 223 range brass.

Beginning to figure problem is case lenght related. Some are long and hang up.

Wish I had a 3D printer to make a couple of parts. Maybe a offset funnle to load brass by hand dropping.

Still would save grabbing finished hull and setup / tube filling.

Sad
    I run a Mighty Armory decapper in mine, like I said, ill probably never run anything but 9mm in it as i dont like depriming on my RL1100 so I deprime before I wet tumble my pistol brass. By the time I dick with getting it to run a different caliber properly, I could have already deprimed a shit load of brass on the chucker. Lol... I bought it as an experiment to see if i could speed things up, It does work but not without some major frustration. Lee could have probably designed the APP a little better IMO.