• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best turret press that’s not a Zero.

Guys the Dillon is not holding most of you back.
Todays shots.
16517042444013924655027913466677.jpg

No groups just sighting in and verify settings. This ammo 52g speer in sorted range brass over cfe223 is a good plinker. Due to high winds this is a 50 yard target.
Powder dropped with dillon dispensor.

Point is Dillon is gtg in my opinion.

My 20 inch ar identifies as a bolt gun, only quicker.

First shot off paper, second shot 2 1/2 high. All in all I think up one click and set it or down one and call it set for 100 zero.

Think I will stick with my turret press for rifle ammo. For pistol Dillon is an easy choice.

So been thinking about making the move to a turret press, mainly because am getting tired of constantly switching and resetting dies in my single stage Rock chucker. I only load 2 calibers at the moment (rifle)I don’t do on turret priming so that’s not really a must have feature and also for what I do I really can’t justify dropping the coin on something like the 419 Zero.

So for you reloader out there that have experience with different turret presses what do you recommend? And are there any disadvantages to turret presses that single stage doesn’t suffer from?

Thanks!
I've got the T7, which followed the Hornady Single. I'm a Happy Camper.

Reactions: Snuby642
depends on your budget. at the low end I've had great luck with the lee turret 4-hole press.

mid range the redding, possbily others.
high price end is the dillon setups, although they have a range of capabilities and pricing

The T7 is a solid press. I have Dillon progressive, Redding Ultramag and the T7 for in between.

Reactions: Islas82
The only shortcoming of a turret style press is the stiffness and play, but you get the convenience of skipping the die adjustments.

For the turret to rotate, there is generally going to be either some end play (slop) unless the design locks down, like the Zero. That play translates into more than one type of freedom of motion and stiffness, but most users have managed this well enough.

If you are picky about sizing and seating length workmanship, you may need to re-think your die setting process to allow for a little play and lower stiffness, as compared to having just the typical ram and shell holder issues to deal with. Nothing you can't manage. YMMV
I agree with what you posted. I have a lee turret press which I use for powder drops and bullet seating. It’s a great press but I have found it not being very consistent when sizing my 6.5 and 308 brass for long range. It has to much play. I have to use my rock chucker for sizing. It takes more time but for long range consistency is the key.

They are all good presses, just buy what you can afford and move on.. I have a T7, 419 Zero, Rock Chucker, Lee APP and a Dillon 1100 and they are all good enough to make quality ammo. The Lee APP is just a deprimer for 9mm. I do however prefer my Zero for my precision ammo, I just love the feel of the zero, silky smooth...

My lee APP deprimes everything.
It's swager works. Have not tried it on handgun brass yet but figure ok for sizing.

I
My lee APP deprimes everything.
It's swager works. Have not tried it on handgun brass yet but figure ok for sizing.
Haven't tried anything else but 9mm on it, I have a Dillon case feeder attached to it. I have to admit, it is a finicky little bitch to get setup and running well, or at least it was for me, hence why I haven't swapped calibers on it. I deprime most everything else on the rock chucker.

Yes a finikey bitch to set up for 223 range brass.

Beginning to figure problem is case lenght related. Some are long and hang up.

Wish I had a 3D printer to make a couple of parts. Maybe a offset funnle to load brass by hand dropping.

Still would save grabbing finished hull and setup / tube filling.

Sad

Yes a finikey bitch to set up for 223 range brass.

Beginning to figure problem is case lenght related. Some are long and hang up.

Wish I had a 3D printer to make a couple of parts. Maybe a offset funnle to load brass by hand dropping.

Still would save grabbing finished hull and setup / tube filling.

Sad
I run a Mighty Armory decapper in mine, like I said, ill probably never run anything but 9mm in it as i dont like depriming on my RL1100 so I deprime before I wet tumble my pistol brass. By the time I dick with getting it to run a different caliber properly, I could have already deprimed a shit load of brass on the chucker. Lol... I bought it as an experiment to see if i could speed things up, It does work but not without some major frustration. Lee could have probably designed the APP a little better IMO.

Has anyone taken the creedmore upgrade kit for the T7 and trimmed the center bushing so that you can tighten it up at each station like the zero press and seen if it makes a difference

Has anyone taken the creedmore upgrade kit for the T7 and trimmed the center bushing so that you can tighten it up at each station like the zero press and seen if it makes a difference
Not on the T7 but I've done that on my Lyman turret press, which is basically the same press just with 8 instead of 7 spots. It was easy and worked extremely well. Zero slop but it moves very well. You just have to go slow amd test fit it a lot to make sure you don't go too far. I used 1500 grit on my loading bench table top. It sure what you mean about tightening each station but doing that removed the tiny bit of slop that was in the press from the factory.

Reactions: cro789
I guess I don't get why the T7 needs to be "improved" ... it's a great performer for me. Looked at the Creedmore upgrade and ultimately had to answer the question "Why?" ... and couldn't figure out a good reason. I use my single Big Boss for all my sizing dies (using the Hornady lock-n-load bushings), and keep all of my seating dies for 300-BLK, 6.5-CM, 300-WM, 300-PRC and 300-NM ... in the T7. Works great, at least for me.

I guess I don't get why the T7 needs to be "improved" ... it's a great performer for me. Looked at the Creedmore upgrade and ultimately had to answer the question "Why?" ... and couldn't figure out a good reason. I use my single Big Boss for all my sizing dies (using the Hornady lock-n-load bushings), and keep all of my seating dies for 300-BLK, 6.5-CM, 300-WM, 300-PRC and 300-NM ... in the T7. Works great, at least for me.
Becuase there is deflection in the machine, which can not only size your brass off center, but could seat a bullet in a non concentric manner.

Really not that hard to understand. Even with a machine less than 1K cycles on it, you can feel the flex when you size/seat.

Doesn't take long to change dies in a lee single stage iether.

My headspace and bto doesn't seem to vary in the lee ss. Rarely can I measure a 0.0005 variance.

But it is slow going.

All these presses work, some more accurate and some faster and all come at a price.

My next press will be a turret since I don't have one. It will probably be a lyman since I allready have a red, a blue, and a silver press.

Next after winning a big scratch off would be a white one.

Ended up installing the lock and load system on the rock chucked as a member suggested and it makes a big difference, happy with it so far.

Harrells makes great stuff for a very decent price, IMO.

If he ever brought his website and marketing into the 21st century, then I believe more people would be calling out his stuff with compliments.

I have one of his muzzle brakes on a Rem 700 .308 (mostly for eastern whitetail). It works great and is stupid cheap compared to stuff we buy from the more "tactical" vendors.

I think he's more well known among the BR crowd.

Cheers

Reactions: ifgator
Becuase there is deflection in the machine, which can not only size your brass off center, but could seat a bullet in a non concentric manner.

Really not that hard to understand. Even with a machine less than 1K cycles on it, you can feel the flex when you size/seat.
Interesting ... I'm not seeing any of that, and getting single-digit SD's and tight groups from everything I'm seating with my T7 (except 300-BLK of course. Measuring concentricity on both the loaded neck and bullet, and seeing nothing worthy of concern (always less than 2000ths, usually less than 1000th) wrt concentricity.

As am I, but it doesn't mean that its not still there and you can actually feel it when you use the press.

Who knows how much accuracy is left on the table if any?

There would not be a product to remedy this if there was no issue.

FOR PISTOL - Dillon 550. For your situation (rifle), another vote for the Lee Classic turret press.

J

I switch from a Rock Chucker to a Forster Co-Ax. For me changing dies on the Rock Chucker was my biggest pain. Now I just pop them in and out on the Co-Ax without having to reset a couple thousands.

It's not a turret press but it's quick and repeatable.

That's just my experience. I'm sure other recommendations are good too.

I use a Redding big boss 2. Has made plenty of great ammo. Several low single digit loads made. Use it for .284 win and 30 Nosler.

So been thinking about making the move to a turret press, mainly because am getting tired of constantly switching and resetting dies in my single stage Rock chucker. I only load 2 calibers at the moment (rifle)I don’t do on turret priming so that’s not really a must have feature and also for what I do I really can’t justify dropping the coin on something like the 419 Zero.

So for you reloader out there that have experience with different turret presses what do you recommend? And are there any disadvantages to turret presses that single stage doesn’t suffer from?

Thanks!
Redding T7!

Turret is still faster. I am making really good ammo on one and being able to size and mandrel a piece in 5 seconds is really nice. You are touching the brass half as much than a single stage.
Yeah, I have to agree. My turret press have zero slop at all after I carefully sanded down the bushing. I make very very good ammo on it and I can keep everything on the turret and not have to change dies. I do like the Forrester co-ax but for maximizing space and speed ect, it's very hard to beat a good turret

Doesn't take long to change dies in a lee single stage iether.

My headspace and bto doesn't seem to vary in the lee ss. Rarely can I measure a 0.0005 variance.

But it is slow going.

All these presses work, some more accurate and some faster and all come at a price.

My next press will be a turret since I don't have one. It will probably be a lyman since I allready have a red, a blue, and a silver press.

Next after winning a big scratch off would be a white one.
I've been very happy with my Lyman iron 8 or somethinb like that, turret press.

Ya the Lyman is in my sights.

The holy grail zero will be post lotto win for me.

My lee with thier quick change system has been holding settings wellness quick to change.

The Dillon holds pretty steady maybe + / - 0.0005 on seating.

I wonder what to expect from the Lyman turret ?