• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to clean dies...

Re: Best way to clean dies...

Brake cleaner, paper towels and q-tips (the extra long culture swab style are nice to get since they reach farther).

Acetone works as well. Honestly most solvents will work just fine, brake cleaner is just really convenient.

I use brake cleaner and a chamber brush.

toss em up in an ultrasoninc tank and walk away. rinse, dry and reinstall.
cheers.

I already have the brake and carb cleaner that it's why I am asking... and mineral spirits would leave to much of a film correct?

Mineral spirits will leave the same film as brake cleaner - none.

I just dope the dies up with Hoppes #9 and leave them for a few days, then wipe down with patches on a chamber brush.

All new dies should be cleaned... They ship with oil etc in them to keep them from rusting. Same with powder measures etc with bare metal parts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1236</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You clean dies? </div></div>Yep. It gets any grit or trash out of the dies. I spray with brake cleaner then one shot. Seems like if you don't clean your brass before resizing you will always get some carbon or grit in them and it will cause dents in your brass.

Bore brush's and cotton patch's/swab's.Just like the bore's of my gun's.

Denatured alcohol and cotton patches. The alcohol leaves no film and evaporates quickly.

Same way I do the rifle chamber... 3" patch wetted down with MPro7 gun cleaner on a chamber brush... stuff it in there untill it pokes up into the case neck area... swirl it a couple times, repeat as necessary, follow with a clean dry patch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bore brush's and cotton patch's/swab's.Just like the bore's of my gun's. </div></div>Same here.

Brake cleaner followed by a dip in the ultrasonic cleaner.