• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Best way to strip McMillan/Manners stock paint?

birddogsx3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2008
Kansas City, KS
What is the recommendation for stripping paint of McMillan and Manners stocks, media blast, sanding or chemical? I have had good luck with the citrus strip but I am not sure if it is strong enough for the paint on the stocks. I believe they use Polane or something similar.

honestly ide probably just paint over it.

you can try light media blasting it, i think sand blasting it runs the risk of damaging the fiberglass

I was thinking of trying some walnut or other softer media. I plan on using Cerakote so I have to strip it I also have a couple chips in the paint from replacing the trigger guard with a DBM. If I were going back over it with Polane or something similar painting over would work. Problem is I don't know if I can find a small enough volume of paint Since I am only doing one maybe two stocks.

Well I will give the scuff and go a try. Mr. Dixon I guess you have painted one or two stocks over the few days you have been working ;). Thanks for the advice.

Any word on the replacement 700 bolts?