• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best, worst rimfire can

GetReal

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2020
Looking for another rimfire can. I figgered a "best" thread would get 10 differnet opinions, so thought I'd add a wrinkle - whats a rimfire can to AVOID?

e.g. I got a YHM Mite years ago... with the monocore / baffle. Low volume, ancient baffle tech. It works OK. IIRC the tax stamp cost $ more than the can.

Looking for quiet / high volume (relatively speaking)

SO...whatcha got? Best / worst can advice?

Thx.

SilencerCo Sparrow is what I have. It was the latest and greatest when I bought it. I clean it when I want to instead of every so many rounds.
My $ .02- tax stamp is $200.00 regardless of the cost of the can. And selling NFA items is not real easy (compared to a non NFA item). I try to buy NFA items, that I want forever!

When I worked at a gun store, we had a SiCo Sparrow on the rental range, cleaning it was the worst thing I had to do while being employed there. I’d stay away from anything that has a monocore and clam shells

On rimfire, I have moved to the camp of
1. Acceptable reduction in noise
2. Ease of cleaning
3. Other functions

To me, the mono core is easy, but I am not scraping or using brushes. tumble, dip, or sonic, and done.

this means outside of specific things like a super lightweight all Alu can, I want stainless or Ti. I prefer enclosed or sealed baffle systems to keep the tube clean, but thats not mandatory if I can clean it.

Beyond these things, the intended use comes into play, things like FRP on pistols or SBRs, fitting with a build or poke from under the hand guard, etc.

There are so many good .22 cans these days, I dont look at the super cheap ones, or ones with bad materials. Its usually pretty easy to find a stainless, effective, modular or small can to not worry about those other things outside of the cool factor.

Agree with Mark Coffey. The SiCo Sparrow works great. A thousand or so rounds through mine and it works great. Cleaning isn't an issue at all for me.

Nothing beats a rugged occulus22....

Sounds great in both configs easy to clean... Full auto rated and bullet proof

Reactions: Warrior 45
Surefire Ryder is not the best for sure!

I’ve got an AAC Halcyon. Good suppression, and it can be configured as a full length or “K” suppressor, but one aspect of the build- subsequently discovered- should be considered before purchase. The rear end cap incorporates a wave spring. This wave spring allows the can to “float” ever so slightly regardless of how tightly the cap is screwed down. This also allows the can to wobble ever so slightly while on the host, regardless of how tightly the cap is screwed down on the suppressor, or how tightly the suppressor is screwed down onto the barrel. An appropriately sized accuwasher shim (5/8 diameter) has resolved the issue, but it was an issue.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Avoid? Anything with aluminum. Too soft, too easy to damage, too attacked by chemicals. Easy to machine yes but also easier to mess up. For goodness sakes you can cut it perfectly fine with woodworking tools. Note it isn't used in hot areas of turbine jet engines. Not even in one time use/ designed to go boom at the end. Those materials are 4140ht, 15-5, 17-4, titanium, inconel, udimet, hastelloy and the like.

Good? Thunderbeast 22- take down.

i think sico finish on their rimfire cans is shit. sparrow for example. deadair and tbac the went cerakote.

I have a Surefire Ryder 22 and I love the weight and sound suppression but I hate cleaning it. I mean really hate it.
Aluminium baffle are a hard pass for me now.
Bought a Q El Camino and love it.

Reactions: phxfa
For those with aluminum cans, fill it with Bore Tech carbon remover and let it soak over night. Mine came clean with a rag wipe after that. Like NIB clean...

Reactions: jcam
For those with aluminum cans, fill it with Bore Tech carbon remover and let it soak over night. Mine came clean with a rag wipe after that. Like NIB clean...

Those airborne tubes -

1605904958373.png

They fit my sparrow core perfectly and I just fill it with Boretech Carbon Remover.

My 1st can was a SWR Spectre2. Branded by Silencer Co last I heard. Built like a tank with no FRP. I hunt with mine so FRP was important. And a hard hell no on anything aluminium.

If you want a Monocore, check the Texas Silencer Co Scoundrel.
Not the best at anything, but fair for the $.

My worst is Surefire Ryder. Best is SiCo Sparrow. Waiting on QuietBore Form 1 Ti paperwork to finish.

Oculus, Mask, Hyperion, Nyx, TBAC, and I wish the Element 2 was still manufactured.

I have an Element 2 and it is awesome, the other can I have that is superior to my Element 2 is the KG Made Swarm, sadly I do not think they are making it any longer.

I wish I could locate an AAC Baffle removal tool for my element sadly they are sold out everywhere

I have a sparrow I shoot weekly. For cleaning just drop the guts in a peroxide/vinegar solution (aka the dip) in an ultrasonic cleaner- done. I'd look at the thunderbeast as well.

Have an AAC Element-2 that’s still great...but out of luck if I have any issues now.

Also have a Radical .22 can (spent more on the tax stamp than the can, LOL) that is basically a sparrow without the clam shells. It shit the bed after an extended range session with my daughter a couple years ago; it would not come apart even after a week (yes a week) of soaking. I will say their customer service was top notch though; they also couldn’t get it apart but had it remanufactured and back to me in just a couple weeks. Very communicative through the entire process too. That one is just used at the ranch to pop gophers, etc. now and religiously cleaned after every few rounds...not for extended use.

Was considering a Q Erector...what issues are folks having with it? Will likely pick up a Sparrow too...love my buddy’s original version. So easy to clean.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Have an AAC Element-2 that’s still great...but out of luck if I have any issues now.

Also have a Radical .22 can (spent more on the tax stamp than the can, LOL) that is basically a sparrow without the clam shells. It shit the bed after an extended range session with my daughter a couple years ago; it would not come apart even after a week (yes a week) of soaking. I will say their customer service was top notch though; they also couldn’t get it apart but had it remanufactured and back to me in just a couple weeks. Very communicative through the entire process too. That one is just used at the ranch to pop gophers, etc. now and religiously cleaned after every few rounds...not for extended use.

Was considering a Q Erector...what issues are folks having with it? Will likely pick up a Sparrow too...love my buddy’s original version. So easy to clean.

91Eunozs PM me if you'd like to hear about my issues with the Q Erector.

Aluminum baffles suck on my Ryder.
Called them once and asked about replacing the baffles with more aluminum or titanium but they said that they couldn’t do that since it changes the can. Isn’t that the same as recoring ?

I have a LCW Lauer Custom Weaponry Predator 22 can, it was not user serviceable and pretty clogged up, I got it used on a Form 4.

Had it jail broke by Liberty, they reused the tube and made it a monocore, it’s been nice since but after a year of shooting it’s a bitch to clean.

I have a swr spectre 2, a oculus and a tacsol. None of them have had any FRP. Which to me is the point of a suppressor. The oculus is a updated design of the spectre. Henry designed both cans and the internals are almost the same. The best I have would be the oculus. The worst is the tacsol because.... aluminum. It works great but is a royal PITA to clean. A Tbac 22 is in my future though!

12 year old AAC pilot that feels like it was made of soda cans. Love it. Whacked many a small game with it. Going strong and I've never cleaned it.

4 month old Dead Air Mask that feels heavier but comes apart in a jillion pieces to clean. Maybe I'll need that. Seems a bit more quiet than the pilot but it's twice the weight (at least felt by holding it). In 12 years I'll report back.

12 year old AAC pilot that feels like it was made of soda cans. Love it. Whacked many a small game with it. Going strong and I've never cleaned it.

4 month old Dead Air Mask that feels heavier but comes apart in a jillion pieces to clean. Maybe I'll need that. Seems a bit more quiet than the pilot but it's twice the weight (at least felt by holding it). In 12 years I'll report back.

How do you go 12 years without cleaning a 22 can...
FWIW, the Mask is heavier because it isn't made of soda cans lol.

The DA Mask and TBAC Takedown are at the top of the heap for a reason.

Reactions: Holliday
Gen 1 element sucks to get the baffles out for cleaning, wish I would have went with the Sparrow first.

Don't shoot much
If he is only using it to hunt then round counts don't get anywhere near as high as range use. It's easy to burn 500 rounds of 22 in a day at a range. 500 rounds of 22 can last a lifetime just hunting though
This mostly - I probably put around 500 a year through it at the range for fun but it mostly lives on one of the small game hunting sticks. With work, 99% of my range time is with the bigger stuff and work cans, so the .22s don't get the love. Tough perk to have and I'm thankful for it. When I make it to retirement, where I'm funding all of my shooting, those .22s will get a lot more use.

How do you go 12 years without cleaning a 22 can...
FWIW, the Mask is heavier because it isn't made of soda cans lol.

The DA Mask and TBAC Takedown are at the top of the heap for a reason.
Mostly use it to hunt with. And I love the Mask - the reviews and ratings from everyone is why I bought it - definitely worth it, as I'm using it on a .22mag and played some on a 5.7 as well. Great can.

SilencerCo Sparrow is what I have. It was the latest and greatest when I bought it. I clean it when I want to instead of every so many rounds.
My $ .02- tax stamp is $200.00 regardless of the cost of the can. And selling NFA items is not real easy (compared to a non NFA item). I try to buy NFA items, that I want forever!
Agree. I also have this can and it’s great.