• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn, Beanland, 284 *Update with Range Report*

KevinU

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Colorado
Been gathering parts for the last few months. Finally got it together.

AJ Goddard and Jon Beanland were great to work with.

Didn't have it Cerakoted for now, going to see if I can manage the recoil w/o a brake. Been shooting a 17lb 6.5CM for the last year, on paper the 284 will have about 50% more felt recoil.

Will work up a load this week with 4350 and 162 Amax's.

Bighorn LA
Bartlein Heavy Palma 9 twist, 27"

aics284002-1.jpg

Re: Bighorn, Beanland, 284

What color you gonna Cerakote the action and barrel? Nice looking rifle, great background in the photo as well.

Keep it stainless! I like 'em stainless. Both of mine will stay that way.

BTW bad ass rifle!

looks good. bolt's on the wrong side though

yeah, nice view

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep it stainless! I like 'em stainless. Both of mine will stay that way.

BTW bad ass rifle!</div></div>

+1

Unless you need it less conspicuous for field use, I would leave it as is. looks awesomw!

Let us know how it shoots.

Even if your in the field, bead blast it and be done! Most animals are color blind. My hunting rifle is stainless and it's killed a plenty!

i think bead blasted stainless is the best looking finish there is. i do coat some but really prefer just blasting them if they are stainless. a matte stainless finish blends very well with dead limbs etc.

chuck

Glad to see the long actions getting out there in builds. i was getting lonely.

Very nice. I just finished a 284 build on a savage. Mr. Beanland sure does make some nice rifles. I've got a few more parts to gather, then I'll be contacting him about a build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks good. bolt's on the wrong side though

yeah, nice view </div></div>

AJ makes a lefty

For the 162 A-Max, try loading 4831SC with anywhere from 58-60 gr. That should be a high end accuracy node for the rifle. You can expect velocity around 2950-3015 FPS

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dinosdeuce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice Kevin!! Will I get to see this weekend at the PD match??

Dino </div></div>

Thanks Dino. Can't make this Saturdays match, you'll see it at the Sept match.

Kevin

Looking good.

Jon does nice work.

As heavy at the AI chassis is, you may not want a break on it.

Better just thread that barrel for a can.

Loaded up 162Amax's with 4350 and 4831SC.

Took three shots to get the scope sighted in, cleaned after each shot. Target is the next five shots @ 100yds.

52grains/4350, 25 thou jump

CED chrono 12' from muzzle

Cleaned after these five shots. The next two shots the chrono didn't pick up. The black clouds, drizzle about to turn to a down pour chased me off. Will finish load work up next week and take it out 1000yds.

Thanks again to AJ Goddard and Jon Beanland. Future builds will be on a Bighorn action and chambered by Jon.

284162Amax029.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beanland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look'n like it's going to work. Hows the recoil? </div></div>

It's going to work out just fine!

Shot 40rds through it yesterday, it definitely has some snort to it compared to my 17lb 6.5CM pussycat. I'll duplicate shooting a steel match this week, shooting 12rds in 10 minutes four times. Will make a decision on a RAD brake after that.