• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

IMG_2026_zpslgbr6gsp.jpg

IMG_2025_zpsc028mv0i.jpg

IMG_2024_zpsulu2jvkk.jpg

Action came in. Thing is freaking nice, this is my first foray into custom actions. Was looking at Defiance but the CRF, mech ejection, easy takedown and changeable bolt was to damn good to pass up. Manners T6A is on the way. Going to be a bit before I have PVA spin up a barrel and piece it all together.

Quick question for for those that have Cerakoted the action. Do you have them do the inside of the receiver? Raceways? I'm guessing it would neg effect the smoothness of the action if they hit the raceways?

Looks like the same specs I ordered back in feb along with a Hardy CF barrel spun up. Hope I get it before hunting season.

That's a pretty interesting idea. How are you going to lock the barrel nut? I think PVA's shouldered pre-fits run about 725; I am paying 750. Some places are selling barrel nut pre-fits quite a bit cheaper.

I have talked to some savage guys who claim Loctite will hold well enough. If not, something more permanent like a strong epoxy or bedding compound should work. Even if I have to lock the barrel nut to the barrel permanently, it will still be cheaper than a shouldered barrel, and without the long wait time.

I built this a couple months ago on a TL3. 26" Bartlein Rem varmint contour 7.7 twist, Manners EH1 (painted it with Cerakote H), Bix 'N Andy Tacsport trigger, Seekins DBM and cerakoted Elite Earth. It's shooting 82 grain Bergers at 3559 fps.

Attachments

• tl32.jpg
    tl32.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 135
  • tl31.jpg
    tl31.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 137
I built this a couple months ago on a TL3. 26" Bartlein Rem varmint contour 7.7 twist, Manners EH1 (painted it with Cerakote H), Bix 'N Andy Tacsport trigger, Seekins DBM and cerakoted Elite Earth. It's shooting 82 grain Bergers at 3559 fps.

Sweet rig! Love the camo pattern!

I cant wait till my barrel comes in!

This is probably the best place to ask.
I have decided on buying a bighorn TL3 and running it in a MPA chassis or manners haven't decided yet (it will take me months to piece this together, first custom rifle). What magazine cut should I get for the action and will be able to use in the chassis or manners? Plan on using 10rnd mags at matches and 5rnd mags for hunting.

Thanks to anyone helping me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably the best place to ask.
I have decided on buying a bighorn TL3 and running it in a MPA chassis or manners haven't decided yet (it will take me months to piece this together, first custom rifle). What magazine cut should I get for the action and will be able to use in the chassis or manners? Plan on using 10rnd mags at matches and 5rnd mags for hunting.

Thanks to anyone helping me out

AICS mag cut. That's the standard and with Ted's ARC mags there is basically no reason to go AW anymore. I understand they're having hiccups at the moment with the followers/springs but i think it will get sorted out.

No harm in getting the AW cut on your TL3, in the event that you ever wanted to try AW magazines down the road. If you get AW cut you can use either AICS or AW mags with no detrimental effects. I have an AW cut on my action and have only run the AICS mags and ARC mags.Both the AICS and ARC mags will run fine in either a Manners mini-chassis or a MPA chassis.

With the TL3, the ARC mags seems to be ideal. I've not heard of anyone with a TL3 having a feeding problem with the ARC mags. They run better in my action than even the AICS, no issues at all. With as small of a size difference between the ARC mags and the AICS 5 round mags, I would lean towards just buying 2 ARC mags and calling it good.

Last edited:
No harm in getting the AW cut on your TL3, in the event that you ever wanted to try AW magazines down the road. If you get AW cut you can use either AICS or AW mags with no detrimental effects. I have an AW cut on my action and have only run the AICS mags and ARC mags.Both the AICS and ARC mags will run fine in either a Manners mini-chassis or a MPA chassis.

With the TL3, the ARC mags seems to be ideal. I've not heard of anyone with a TL3 having a feeding problem with the ARC mags. They run better in my action than even the AICS, no issues at all. With as small of a size difference between the ARC mags and the AICS 5 round mags, I would lean towards just buying 2 ARC mags and calling it good.

Sheldon has a point that completely slipped my mind. Ironic that i run an AW cut Tempest and should know this lol. But yes you can run either with an AW cut, though you'd still have to adjust mag latch to my understanding. Least i would have to on my tempest, as is an AICS mag will seat but the feed lips are obstructing the raceway.

My TL3 in a MPA Chassis runs 6BR in ARC mags with no problems. No adjustments or messing with anything.

Ok awesome AW mag cut runs em all I think that's what I'll go with just to be safe, thanks everyone

Thanks guys. My first custom rifle do want to make sure I get everything in line. I'll either have it in a manners or chassis of some sort, 6.5cm. Ill hunt with it and shoot the local matches with it, retire the savage

Got another TL-3 action on order today, going to run a matching pair and swap barrels around. Couple Dasher barrels, a 223 barrel, maybe add a 6.5 addition barrel. One in a MPA chassis, one in my Manners.

Yup, haven't shot the MPA chassis yet but depending on whether I like the Manners or MPA better I may swap out the stock and end up with a set of "twin" TL3's.... the painful part is the matching S+B scopes. :)

MPA is a good chassis for sure, i like the feel. But i just can't seem to stray too far away from stocks. I like my T4/T2/A5s

MPA is a good chassis for sure, i like the feel. /QUOTE]

I really like that vertical grip they came out with. I've been a big XLR Evo fan and have stayed away from MPA b/c the weight but some of their chassis are getting lighter and the accessory rail is killer...

That vertical grip is a great one for the chassis' in general, definitely keeps it from feeling like an AR. The accessory rail is awesome. The moment manners integrated it into their new lineup i wanted to send my T4A to be retrofitted. The MPA i handled actually felt great. There is a plus to a chassis which i haven't been able to replicate and it seems like the bore axis is lower and thus the recoil impulse is nearly straight back. That was one thing i loved about my X-Ray even with 308 i was spotting my shots with it. Having said all that though i started on an A5 and found myself right back at it with a T4, just feels right for me even with tiny hands lol.

I really like that vertical grip they came out with. I've been a big XLR Evo fan and have stayed away from MPA b/c the weight but some of their chassis are getting lighter and the accessory rail is killer...

Funny, I partially went to the MPA because it was heavier, last barrel is Rem Varmint in a CF Manners T2A.... next Dasher barrel is going to be Heavy Palma or M24 in a MPA chassis. Less recoil the better! Love seeing my own impacts or misses clearly and it seems like added mass helps stabilize the gun in odd barricade positions.

Funny, I partially went to the MPA because it was heavier, last barrel is Rem Varmint in a CF Manners T2A.... next Dasher barrel is going to be Heavy Palma or M24 in a MPA chassis. Less recoil the better! Love seeing my own impacts or misses clearly and it seems like added mass helps stabilize the gun in odd barricade positions.

I love my heavy palma on my tempest. It's perfect IMO for a comp gun. It tops out at 17lbs loaded with the can.

Speaking of barrel contour, does any one know what PVA "minuteman" contour is comparable to?

Speaking of barrel contour, does any one know what PVA "minuteman" contour is comparable to?

I emailed Kunz this question a month or so ago.

He said it is very similar to a Med Palma, approx. 0.83" at the muzzle.

Heck yeah! Good to see you guys on here. Got my 2nd TL-3 on order with another bolt head, can't wait to rock a set of twin rifles. :)

Same!! 223rem this time but going to do some testing with Savage prefits. Same chassis, trigger, scope, etc as my 6.5x47L setup.

Hey Guys, we finally got back up on the forum. Hit us up about any of your BigHorn needs!!!
Aaron

Hey there! You guys are the perfect ones to ask the question I posted earlier,
I sent my action in for DLC coating, and opted to have the bolt/lug raceways in the action body polished up before the DLC was applied. But can the polishing in any way negatively affect the action, or make it more prone to binding?

Do you all ever end up with any out of spec or factory second boltheads that you can't use on rifles? Something that big horn fans might like to pick up as swag and show their loyalty, like on a keychain

Ha! Now that's a cool idea XD

I think you mean the Marksman contour. That's what Josh did my 6x47 in. The Marksman is between the med. and heavy Palma.
The Minuteman is just his package deal, I think.
-David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you mean the Marksman contour. That's what Josh did my 6x47 in. The Marksman is between the med. and heavy Palma.
The Minuteman is just his package deal, I think.
-David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marksman profile is ~ 0.05 difference at the front of the taper to the end of the barrel only from a Med Palma it seems. David is correct - Marksman Rock River barrel on his action that some has his logo some dont.

Do you all ever end up with any out of spec or factory second boltheads that you can't use on rifles? Something that big horn fans might like to pick up as swag and show their loyalty, like on a keychain

We have never thought about that, I have a small drawer of shame ( from prototyping ) but we really don't have much for scrap pieces.

Hey there! You guys are the perfect ones to ask the question I posted earlier,
I sent my action in for DLC coating, and opted to have the bolt/lug raceways in the action body polished up before the DLC was applied. But can the polishing in any way negatively affect the action, or make it more prone to binding?

There should really be no issue there ( Unless they went Crazy w/ power tools ). Work on keeping slight downward pressure on the bolt and she will run like butter.

The people that do the polishing for coating companies are usually very good at what they do. I wouldn't be concerned.

Finally got my action Friday, chambered the barrel yesterday and shot this morning a little. Ordered in December, so it's been quite a wait. 28 nosler, proof 1-8 twist, berger 195 seated at coal 3.730,

Attachments

• photo65921.jpg
    photo65921.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 256
  • photo65922.jpg
    photo65922.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I emailed Kunz this question a month or so ago.

He said it is very similar to a Med Palma, approx. 0.83" at the muzzle.

Markmans is .970 at the shoulder (coming off the 1.250) and tapers @ 26 inches to ~ .87. The medium palma is .05 less at the shoulder and muzzle. I have a minuteman and just sent just a HH med palma to chamber so took these measurements.

I've seen a couple at our range and they shoot very well, right around 0.5 MOA for 5-shot groups. The guys said the installs were easy, load work-up quick and that they will continue shooting pre-fit Criterion barrels after shooting these barrels out. They are satisfied customers.

Finally got my build in last Thursday from PVA.... Finished out at 24in rock creek barrel and a Manners Carbon Fiber Elite Moss A4 stock....

Attachments

• photo67968.jpg
    photo67968.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 165
Picked mine up from PVA. 7mm Mag with 30" barrel. Goal is to push the Hornady 180s at 3k+.

5cybys.jpg

The Bighorn and AICS AX don't play well together. Lots of trimming and fitting had to be done.

Mine built by Rocky Mountain Rifle Works

TL3 action w/medium tang, tactical bolt knob
Mark Chanlynn 24" barrel chambered in 6.5 CM
Manners T3 stock with mini-chassis
March 3-24x42 scope

Attachments

• photo68328.jpg
    photo68328.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: Boogieman84
Mine built by Rocky Mountain Rifle Works

TL3 action w/medium tang, tactical bolt knob
Mark Chanlynn 24" barrel chambered in 6.5 CM
Manners T3 stock with mini-chassis
March 3-24x42 scope

What barrel contour did you go with?

How many guys using savage pre fits in the TL3? Liking results?

What didn't you guys choose for a bolt knob and why? I'm leaning towards the diamond or the helical diamond.