• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

I have a TL3 from before DLC was offered. Can I send that in for the treatment? What's the cost on that?

Reactions: Basher
Yup i meant to post that earlier months ago actually. Idk if i disclosed the details but i emailed Bighorn after they shortly announced DLC. $75 is a steal. For reference it cost me 200$ to do dad's SR3 receiver. Granted to be fair i forgot to take the ejector out. Still would've been 120$ though.

BigHorn Arms 65 CM - Small.jpg

Big Horn Arms TL3 Action
24" Bartlein 5R 6.5 Creedmoor Rem Varm Barrel
Manners T6A Elite Carbon Fiber Stock in GAP Camo
TriggerTech Special Trigger
Area 419 Hellfire Muzzle Brake
Athlon ARES BTR 4.5-27x50 mounted in Seekins Precision Rings
ATLAS Bipod Rail
PIG Skins Barricade Pad

So I'm really starting to think I am gonna jump in on building a new rifle with a TL3... in my head I've already spent the money, and now I'm just going through the normal process of hemming and hawing before I finally make the commitment lol!

I have a question that I think I already know the answer to, but just to confirm: How is the TL3's CRF for single feeding cartridges in through the ejection port. When I am just casually shooting I tend to just lay rounds on top of the magazine in the port, and know that some CRF actions dont like to be fed this way. But the TL3 addresses this concern with a sliding extractor claw, correct?

Single feed works great without any problems. Extractor snaps right over the case head without any notable resistance.

Let's bump this thread with a pic of a bare action. Funny how early on you guys were waiting for the actions, now I've got the action and waiting on both the chassis and the barrel.

Plans are an XLR Envy chassis and a shouldered prefit from Josh at PVA cerakoted to match the action in 6.5 with Jetblast brake, and a CG Extreme Mod 22 2 stage trigger.

DLC'd TL3 from Core shooting:

View media item 64

Wow I can't wait to get my TL-3... can I be like cyrogenically (is that a word?) frozen for the next 8-10 weeks so I don't to endure the wait? :LOL:

I've got to take mine off and send it in for DLC running dad's SR3 last weekend which i had DLC'd was noticeably smoother than my bare TL3. Oh it shoots as well :)

Man, that is one of the nicest looking rifles I have seen in a while! :love:

Reactions: 5RWill
Thank you sir. SAC does quality work. Just wish the V6 was holding zero.

Are both yours and your dad's TL-3s sitting in manners mini-chassis? Curious to know if they are skim bedded or not, although I would think the SAC build would be.

Are both yours and your dad's TL-3s sitting in manners mini-chassis? Curious to know if they are skim bedded or not, although I would think the SAC build would be.

My TL3 is in a minichassis and my tempest is in a minichassis. The SR3 in the above picture is bedded. By whichever method SAC does

Does anyone here have any pictures of a DLC'd TL3 with a cerakoted barrel? Curious to know what color cerakote looks nice with the DLC.

I know graphite black is typically a good match for scopes and rings, but I saw that armor black may be a better match to the DLC?

Does anyone here have any pictures of a DLC'd TL3 with a cerakoted barrel? Curious to know what color cerakote looks nice with the DLC.

I know graphite black is typically a good match for scopes and rings, but I saw that armor black may be a better match to the DLC?
The best match we have seen is work done by DC Precision. He happens to help around the shop when he has time so he has a lot of time around the new DLC coating. My suggestion would be to get in touch with him to match barrel color to action color.

TL3 in a Manners PRS-1 and a TL3 in an XLR Envy chassis

Very nice! I am dropping my TL3 into an Envy chassis as well. Any issues with fit at all? I did specify with XLR that it was for a TL3. What trigger did you go with?

Very nice! I am dropping my TL3 into an Envy chassis as well. Any issues with fit at all? I did specify with XLR that it was for a TL3. What trigger did you go with?

Inquiring minds wants to know. That Envy chassis looks pretty nice.

My TL3 is in a minichassis and my tempest is in a minichassis. The SR3 in the above picture is bedded. By whichever method SAC does

Thanks, that SR3 looks amazing, just like pretty much everything that comes out of SAC's shop. I'm curious to know what cerakote color is on the barrel?

The best match we have seen is work done by DC Precision. He happens to help around the shop when he has time so he has a lot of time around the new DLC coating. My suggestion would be to get in touch with him to match barrel color to action color.

Thank you for the information. I am ordering a prefit barrel and was planning to have it cerakoted by the smith who is chambering it. But I might reach out to DC Precision and pick his brain and see what he recommends.

TL3's chambered in 6 Dasher.
IMG_2796[1].JPG
IMG_2818[1].JPG

Dasher X!

Have my gunsmith Jonathon Elrod of MCR Rifles number my barrels, keep track of things. These two are Dasher barrels 9 & 10. 1-7 Dashers were on the older "Legacy" Bighorn actions.

Last edited:

Everything dropped in almost perfect. The only thing I would change is I wish they had inletted the bolt handle slot another .0125” down. It is very close if not touching when you slam the bolt down. I’m running a Huber 2-stage trigger. I love the set up, especially when shooting it off the tripod. The M-Lok forearm is a plus.

Reactions: usmcmad
Everything dropped in almost perfect. The only thing I would change is I wish they had inletted the bolt handle slot another .0125” down. It is very close if not touching when you slam the bolt down. I’m running a Huber 2-stage trigger. I love the set up, especially when shooting it off the tripod. The M-Lok forearm is a plus.

Thanks, good to know. I'll post up how mine fits. I like a two stage trigger as well and looking at the CG X-treme Mod 22.

I know its a TL2 but it was new from here on The Hide a couple months back.

Aaron just got it back from coating and did all of the hard work for me so I cant wait to shoot it tomorrow.

Its a sub 500 # Brighton action with a TacSport trigger and PVA barrel.

It weighs 13lbs exactly as pictured. I'm going to try and get the wife to give it a try this spring.
KIMG0255.JPG

Reactions: Basher and jda2631
I’ll be picking up my tl3 action tomorrow. I have 2 barrels being made. The 6.5x47 should be here next week and the 223 issf will be a month or two behind. Got a triggertech special to go on it, and it will be sitting in a KRG Bravo, with a weaver tactical 6-30 for glass. I’ll post pics once I get it all together.

Reactions: 5RWill
Any advice on what smiths can cut a TL3 barrel without the action? And knowledge if they do 6.5 PRC? Thanks.

Josh at PVA cut my barrel without ever seeing the action. He is very knowledgeable and all different rounds and cartridges.

Reactions: bohem
Coated and Uncoated TL3's set up in XLR Element chassis for the moment. 6XC, 6Dasher and 6.5PRC Proof Research barrels, Trigger Tech Diamond triggers.

The group is 7 rounds with a "called" flyer (it was me) @ 100 yards with the 6XC

2018 match rifles.jpg

TL3 6xc.jpg

Coated and Uncoated TL3's set up in XLR Element chassis for the moment. 6XC, 6Dasher and 6.5PRC Proof Research barrels, Trigger Tech Diamond triggers.

The group is 7 rounds with a "called" flyer (it was me) @ 100 yards with the 6XC

View attachment 6883140
That is a beautiful pair of Bighorns you got there! I love the paint on both chassis. I'm curious which action you like better, and how noticeable the effects of the DLC coating are compared to the naked action?

Any advice on what smiths can cut a TL3 barrel without the action? And knowledge if they do 6.5 PRC? Thanks.
@duramaxed I just sent you a PM regarding the service. We do that as a bread and butter type product, I've cut more Bighorn barrels than I can remember, it's approaching 1000 for just TL3's alone at this point.

That is a beautiful pair of Bighorns you got there! I love the paint on both chassis. I'm curious which action you like better, and how noticeable the effects of the DLC coating are compared to the naked action?

I've been running both now this week and the DLC'd action seems like it's breaking in a little faster, meaning everything is smoothing out quicker but the naked action is running better and better also. Honestly the DLC is worth doing, IMO but it's also not a deal breaker for me.

Considering the dlc comes free of charge from bighorn it’s a no brainer. Dads SR3 is DLCd and despite the lower round count is starting to feel better than mine.

@BigHorn / ZAI Team I meant to ask. Since the lug on the ORIGIN isn't integral could someone incorporate a switch lug with the action with relative ease? Since the footprint is 700 based?