• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give them a call. I need to place an order for a second TL3 anyway :)
They might hook you up with a new extractor, after the beating it wouldn’t chuck brass like it used to. I called up ray and he sent out a new extractor free of cost.

This thread is making me jealous!! I just need to figure out what to build.

currently have;

kelbly 6mm creed
Terminus 25 creed
Stiller 260
Defiance 300 Norma.

was thinking of doing a long action 270. Wsm build on a bighorn. Sr3 maybe.
Looks like a lineup that could use a Zermatt RimX.

So my question is: has anyone else noticed their TL3 having a very weak extractor?

If that's just how TL3's are, that's fine. I guess I'll make sure to keep my cleaning rod close by. But if I'm the only one seeing this I'd like to do some troubleshooting.

The only time I've ever had an issue with extraction was with a piece of brass I fired from a different chamber. It stuck badly and when I lifted the bolt the extractor actually rounded over the edge of the brass rim creating a little ramp and popping off the case. Since the edge of the brass rim was no longer square it could clip on and off the brass without extracting it.

Knocked that brass out with a cleaning rod, didn't change anything on the gun and it's worked fine since.

Looks like a lineup that could use a Zermatt RimX.

Haha funny you say that. The next rifle I buy/purchase I want to be the deuce/vudoo/rimx. I just can’t decide which one. I was actually leaning on trying the deuce

Anybody seen Proof stainless prefits in 6.5 Creedmoor in stock anywhere?
I got one for my newest TL3 build at the end of July directly from PROOF Research. I had ordered through ExpertVoice and it was just shy of six months. Checked a couple weeks ago and it now said they weren't currently taking orders through ExpertVoice and projected they might begin again sometime next year.
You might want to check out Straightjacket Armory they've got them listed, and should they be out they've got plenty other pre-fit options on their site.

Two of my TL3s, the carbon barrel is a proof 16.5" 6mm creed, bottom is an 18" bartlein .22 creed. Both are ready for hunting season to start.

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_085725.jpg
    IMG_20200920_085725.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
Alright, today was an awesome range day! I showed some details on this build earlier, but it is finally complete and barrel break in is very promising.
First, a little back story. Back in 2016 I decided to build a 6mm creedmoor and planned on doing a savage barrel swap. I bought one from a company in Louisiana and the guy took my money and disappeared. After almost a year I was finally able to get a refund, and at that time PVA just released the John Hancock rifle. I put down a deposit for a lefty 6 creed and waited, and waited, and kind of just forgot about it. Two years later with no rifle to speak of, in April I said F you jobu and I did it myself.

lefty dlc coated TL3
Bartlein m24 profile 25”
Trigger tech diamond
KRG Bravo
Vortex pst gen 2 in their pmr rings
I started barrel break in this morning and just threw some 107gr nosler cc’s over 40gr of H4350 at .020 off the lands. I will do load development after 100 rounds of so, but this thing is a hammer! This is rounds 11-15, the top shot was on a clean bore and went a little high, but the next 4 will work for me!

Attachments

• 2B5CE603-2B19-489A-A045-91797EA2BB71.jpeg
    2B5CE603-2B19-489A-A045-91797EA2BB71.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 2A3A47FE-5B73-487F-85CB-818312A0D369.jpeg
    2A3A47FE-5B73-487F-85CB-818312A0D369.jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 88
  • B0B168C7-B262-4B15-9F94-7F68DF1A260E.jpeg
    B0B168C7-B262-4B15-9F94-7F68DF1A260E.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 3FCB8054-1E40-4225-878D-E5F036E88841.jpeg
    3FCB8054-1E40-4225-878D-E5F036E88841.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 79
Looking for some help, when cycling my TL3 I am having a hard time pulling the bolt back out of the chamber, it takes a decent amount of force to get it moving. I thought it might be the extractor so I contacted Zermatt and they were incredibly quick and helpful and sent me a new extractor, after installing the extractor it has not alleviated the problem. It is chambered in 6.5cm and I am using factory Hornady match ammo, any help would be appreciated. I should also mention this problem seem to come out of nowhere as it use to run smoother.

Looking for some help, when cycling my TL3 I am having a hard time pulling the bolt back out of the chamber, it takes a decent amount of force to get it moving. I thought it might be the extractor so I contacted Zermatt and they were incredibly quick and helpful and sent me a new extractor, after installing the extractor it has not alleviated the problem. It is chambered in 6.5cm and I am using factory Hornady match ammo, any help would be appreciated. I should also mention this problem seem to come out of nowhere as it use to run smoother.

Have you cleaned out your chamber very well and made sure you didn't have any carbon deposits up in the neck area?

Have you cleaned out your chamber very well and made sure you didn't have any carbon deposits up in the neck area?
I will give it a good cleaning right now, it runs smoothly when cycled empty if that means anything.

My Bighorn in 243AI, I’ve only shot coyotes with it so far but deer season starts in a week for me so I’m hoping for some success.

Carbon six 26” barrel, TBAC ultra 7, McMillan A3 in Sonoran Ambush color, and currently a Burris XTR II on top. Weighs a little over 11 lbs like this.

Attachments

• 6C904D82-F118-402B-A0B3-E5CFB0E62C2C.jpeg
    6C904D82-F118-402B-A0B3-E5CFB0E62C2C.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 196
  • D3675E25-9DA9-4D75-8816-A784E8FA4532.jpeg
    D3675E25-9DA9-4D75-8816-A784E8FA4532.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 205
Non reloaded, all I have shot is factory ammo through it. Also I cleaned the chamber and I did not have a lot of carbon build up and what was there has been cleaned and the problem remains...

TL3 I'm putting together with a Proof prefit in boring 6.5 Creedmoor and a TT special. Undecided on the stock, love Manners but have been thinking about something different........JCS Composites, Mesa or possibly a KRG Bravo.

Attachments

• 20201012_194828.jpg
    20201012_194828.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: SonicBurlap
Non reloaded, all I have shot is factory ammo through it. Also I cleaned the chamber and I did not have a lot of carbon build up and what was there has been cleaned and the problem remains...

Did you use a brush and get up into the neck area To scrub and spin and also let it soak for a while?

Reactions: SonicBurlap
My Bighorn in 243AI, I’ve only shot coyotes with it so far but deer season starts in a week for me so I’m hoping for some success.

Carbon six 26” barrel, TBAC ultra 7, McMillan A3 in Sonoran Ambush color, and currently a Burris XTR II on top. Weighs a little over 11 lbs like this.
What is your load and velocity?

What is your load and velocity?

I’m shooting Berger 105 hunting VLDs at 3190 on top of H4831sc. Don’t remember the exact charge off hand though I’ll check that out when I’m back out the house. Out scouting this morning and eyeing a buck I can hopefully shoot next weekend.

edit: 47 grains of H4831sc

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogsniper
Did you use a brush and get up into the neck area To scrub and spin and also let it soak for a while?
Yeah it is really clean in there now, it probably takes like 20 pounds of force to pull the bolt back when cycling ammo. I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Yeah it is really clean in there now, it probably takes like 20 pounds of force to pull the bolt back when cycling ammo. I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Yeah I would have a smith look at it. Something isn’t right. And with it working before but then all of a sudden showing this issue something has happened somewhere.

Reactions: scwhit
That's really hot. I'm shooting 43gr of H4831SC with 115's

Hmm it may be but I’m not getting pressure signs like flattened primers or heavy bolt lift.

It groups really well there so I’m happy with the load however barrel life won’t look good there I’m sure. This rifle is really only for hunting though so it doesn’t het high volume shooting.

Hmm it may be but I’m not getting pressure signs like flattened primers or heavy bolt lift.

It groups really well there so I’m happy with the load however barrel life won’t look good there I’m sure. This rifle is really only for hunting though so it doesn’t het high volume shooting.
I’m at 3284 fps with rl26 and 105 amax 26” pipe same load runs 3212 in my 20” Ackley. I think I either have a fast k and p barrel or a slow Krieger barrel. Both run amazing though. Probably my favorite round.

Yeah I would have a smith look at it. Something isn’t right. And with it working before but then all of a sudden showing this issue something has happened somewhere.
Yeah I figured I would have to go that route, thanks for your help though!

I’m at 3284 fps with rl26 and 105 amax 26” pipe same load runs 3212 in my 20” Ackley. I think I either have a fast k and p barrel or a slow Krieger barrel. Both run amazing though. Probably my favorite round.
I hear you, the 243 AI is a laser beam and just makes me grin. Really puts a wallop on coyotes too!

If I ever shoot this barrel out I’ll probably go 20” or 22” on my next one just so it’s a little shorter overall when suppressed (which is all the time).

Reactions: Dogsniper
This may have been mentioned but have you messed with your action screws lately? I had a similar issue with my SR3 and my front action screw was just barely too long. Maybe take a look there.

Reactions: scwhit
Well got it all together. Picked up my action around 4PM at the FFL and with dinner in the mix had a rifle together at 6:30pm. Can't wait to get out and shoot it!

Big thanks to @bohem Josh at PVA for doing the prefit barrels for it in 6.5 Creed and .223.

IMG_1035.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful guns guys I'm glad to hear people are liking bugholes was thinking about ordering a barrel from them.

TL3 I'm putting together with a Proof prefit in boring 6.5 Creedmoor and a TT special. Undecided on the stock, love Manners but have been thinking about something different........JCS Composites, Mesa or possibly a KRG Bravo.
Two thumbs up for KRG Bravo.

FWIW, if you’re buying a new action from them, they will time it for $free.99. So, you might as well have them time it.