• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn TL3 / XLR Shouldered and Prefit Switch barrel testing/review

Shouldered. but there is no difference. you can see his button barrel in the other review thread I started last week for 6.5x47L. the nut vs shoulder makes zero difference in accuracy I can assure you of that. I'm far enough along into this review to say that with 100% certainty.

Thank you for doing this test. I built 6.5 Creedmoor with the Remage barrel and am getting ready to build a 6BR with the Origin action using Criterion Savage barrel. It is nice to see you confirm my thoughts that the barrel nuts work well and interesting the difference you have found so far with the cut vs button rifling.

2. The Bartlein and Kreiger. The weather has been shitty the last month it looks to be getting nicer so should be able to get the Bartlein tested in the next week. The Kreiger should be here next week as well so I hope to test that right after.

Reactions: Skunkworx
Padom ,
Thank you for all the work put into this, I have been wanting someone to do this very thing for a long time.
I have had great success with Savage pre fits but allways wanted to see it done with a custom action. I love my savage rifles but they are clunky in comparison to a custom.
I have gotten some funny looks by people at the range occasionally while shooting a $400 savage rifle that I had put a McGowen pre fit on it and bedded it into a Manners T4. But it is a hammer regardless of the action.
?

938 yards with a Pva chambered 6 creed with approx 1000 ends on a button rifled prefix I screwed on

Attachments

• 2DD43374-951E-461E-AFF0-A109F16AFC0A.jpeg
    2DD43374-951E-461E-AFF0-A109F16AFC0A.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 63F95EE7-A004-4316-BAB5-E91495AF61D2.jpeg
    63F95EE7-A004-4316-BAB5-E91495AF61D2.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 113
@padom any chance you can re-upload your OCW target pics? Looks like most of them aren't showing anymore, curious to see some of your charge weights with H4895.

2. The Bartlein and Kreiger. The weather has been shitty the last month it looks to be getting nicer so should be able to get the Bartlein tested in the next week. The Kreiger should be here next week as well so I hope to test that right after.

Padom,

How did the Bartlein and Kreiger do? What were the conclusions of the test?

John

The Bartlein shot as expected. Tiny little groups with this shouldered barrel. Low SD's and very easy load development with wide nodes. I think we can draw the conclusion and put to rest the prefit/nut vs shouldered debate. A quality barrel is the key, using a nut or a shoulder does not matter.

Kreiger Keystone Accuracy

Varget

H4895

Last edited:
What Ive found after testing these various barrels is that it doesnt matter if you use a shouldered or savage prefit (barrel nut). If you have a good cut rifled barrel we have seen that nut or shoulder the accuracy is there. MW and Kreiger shot the best but they were all very close.

In this day and age with all the actions available and how consistent these actions are being made a lot of guys are going with nuts or barlocs to make switch barrel rigs or just want the capability to change barrels at home. I have consolidated my personal barrel inventory to be shouldered barrels so no gauges are needed. Just torque on and go.

I know this is late and old but what a great thread. Also lots of the pics are now missing. If lovecot have this as an article. I've been reading some of Big Jim's magnificent and detailed articles this morning and this seems to belong, to me. Thanks

Does "Pre-Fit" usually mean barrel nut install?
I use the term for both bbl nut and shouldered bbls.

Does "Pre-Fit" usually mean barrel nut install?
I use the term for both bbl nut and shouldered bbls.

Used to. This day and age everything is a prefit. Shit some guy was calling an AR15 barrel a prefit in the semi-auto section today. Lolol

With custom actions being so consistent today, there really are 2 prefit categories now. A shouldered prefit, where the smith never sees the action like for a TL3 for example and a nut barrel...

Putting together a 223 TL3 build and this thread is gold, thanks for the effort.