• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bipod recommendation for first "heavy" rifle

Benito

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
Having recently gotten a Ruger Precision Rifle in .338 LM, I am searching for a bipod for it. Prior to this the heaviest rifle I had was a RPR in 6.5 CM (obviously much lighter).

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Options include the Harris HBRMS and variants, Atlas V8, V10/PSR as well as the bigger ones (which are most likely overkill as they are meant for .50 BMG rifles), Accu-Tac (have never seen these in the flesh before).

Much appreciated

I have a BT47 Atlas and I love it. It took me a long time to sack up for a $340 bipod but once I did I never looked back. Outstanding product.

I've never handled the new Ckye-pod but I've yet to hear anything bad about them either.

Reactions: thexman
I've had a Harris for years and love mine. Atlas is a favorite and Accu-tac is getting around as well. The Atlas and Harris have a bit of spring to them but the Accu-tac does not if that makes a difference for you (some like to "load up" the bipod and push into it a bit). Atlas and Accu-tac have a lot more position options than does a Harris. I think all three of these brand are good choices, just make sure you understand which model you're buying and how they operate.

Harris would work just fine for that set up unless you wanted something different.

Reactions: Dewey2045
IIRC thunderbeast is coming out with a bipod at this year’s shot show. Not sure if you want to wait that long. From what little I heard LL say it sounds like a winner.

Atlas is hard to beat for the money. I have a bunch of Harris brsm or whatever the top ones are with pod locs but the Atlas is just a beast. If u don't need the quick deployment of the Harris, check out the Atlas.

Also, tripods are good option as well.

On the cover of the NRA magazine American Rifleman for Jan 2019 they show a Ruger Precision Rife in 338 Lapua with a GG&G bipod.
It sure looks nice. It's a GG&G quick detach heavy duty XDS according to the magazine. Nice article on the gun too. HB

Harris is more budget friendly
atlas is higher quality
you will be happy with either

IIRC thunderbeast is coming out with a bipod at this year’s shot show. Not sure if you want to wait that long. From what little I heard LL say it sounds like a winner.

Thunderbeast as in TBAC?

Yea, it’s mentioned in the every day sniper episode 115. I went back and gave it a closer listen & it sounds like it might not come out this year after all.

Although the Ckye would work on a 338, I would say that it is more aimed at a PRS type shooter that needs a lot of adjustability.

For your application, I would lean more towards an Atlas or a Harris.

I'm sure the GG&G and the other mentioned would work, I'm not too familiar with them.

I thought LRA makes one now... I have one of the regular ones on a .50 and nothing is as solid as that fucker is, fact. It's like an Atlas on steroids and better designed. If they do make a smaller one, that would be the ideal one. But yeah, a Harris will get the job done too.

Reactions: joblo and Jeffd
Do you want pan and cant, or just cant feature. I run the Atlas PSR on my 338LM, which is nearly 20-lbs with scope, etc., and the Atlas PSR is the ticket. If you don't need the pan feature, and more interested in bench/belly shooting, and want to fine tune the cant and lock it, the Atlas 5-H may be the ticket with a wider stance.

Man.. Atlas 5H would be nice on the heavies. The legs on those things are much thicker and lot study then the PRS line. And it would look badass too. I have 2 of those.. And people at the range just keep asking questions about it all the time. Lol

I thought LRA makes one now... I have one of the regular ones on a .50 and nothing is as solid as that fucker is, fact. It's like an Atlas on steroids and better designed. If they do make a smaller one, that would be the ideal one. But yeah, a Harris will get the job done too.

My 24# beast of a Surgeon XL was too much for my little Harris, the weight made it flex and torque too easily, it's hard to describe but kind of like resting the rifle on a rubber ball. I was pleasantly surprised that my rifle shot much better with the LRA on it.

Reactions: DIBBS and Jeffd
I have several Harris bipods, 4 Atlas, 2 Accutac , and a GG&G. The Accutac is the strongest / sturdiest of all the ones I have , but I use the Atlas bipods the most for the type of shooting I do. If I was just shooting prone all the time I’d use the Accutac .

I have several Harris bipods, 4 Atlas, 2 Accutac , and a GG&G. The Accutac is the strongest / sturdiest of all the ones I have , but I use the Atlas bipods the most for the type of shooting I do. If I was just shooting prone all the time I’d use the Accutac .
What kind of shooting makes you choose the Atlas?

Atlas, but just saw video on TBAC bipod. Doesn't seem too bad either. Coming out soon, can't really say though if good, or not. Their suppressors are good, so I imagine bipod would be too.

What kind of shooting makes you choose the Atlas?
NRL22 and some PRS style centerfire. Compared to the Accutac, the Atlas is smaller , lighter, shorter and the footprint isn’t as wide when deployed which is handy in some of the barricade shooting .
For prone only I like the bigger , wider, and sturdier Accutac

On the cover of the NRA magazine American Rifleman for Jan 2019 they show a Ruger Precision Rife in 338 Lapua with a GG&G bipod.
It sure looks nice. It's a GG&G quick detach heavy duty XDS according to the magazine. Nice article on the gun too. HB
Whats funny is the article that goes with that NRA cover shot, is an Atlas..

Also, to OP, the Gen 2 CAL is being shipped, no pan, wide foot print, low profile, authentic KMW Pod-Loc, patented features and at what seems like a great price in todays bipod market.

Attachments

• CAL 1.jpg
    CAL 1.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 57
  • CAL 2.jpg
    CAL 2.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 59
NRL22 and some PRS style centerfire. Compared to the Accutac, the Atlas is smaller , lighter, shorter and the footprint isn’t as wide when deployed which is handy in some of the barricade shooting .
For prone only I like the bigger , wider, and sturdier Accutac

I like the Accutac for PRS for all the reasons you just mentioned you don’t. Good example of everyone having different preferences lol. I found the Atlas to be nearly useless at its lowest height, especially from grass or gravel (or anything except concrete). And I like the weight of it as heavy rifles are not a bad thing in PRS. Also the new Gen 2 BR4 is slightly shorter than the SR5 and now has extendable legs.

Hated the Atlas 5H. I ran it for about 3 sessions and for sale it went. Keeping the rifle level without it locked is impossible, and even with light tension you couldn't get perfectly level. Didn't like how it handled recoil without it locked. Maybe it's just me? Locked it was fine, but I'm not shooting F-Class with it...

I don't think it's a good first-timers' bipod by any means.

I have many BT46 and BT47 PSR's and I have no complaints!

Last edited:
I like the Accutac for PRS for all the reasons you just mentioned you don’t. Good example of everyone having different preferences lol. I found the Atlas to be nearly useless at its lowest height, especially from grass or gravel (or anything except concrete). And I like the weight of it as heavy rifles are not a bad thing in PRS. Also the new Gen 2 BR4 is slightly shorter than the SR5 and now has extendable legs.
I agree the Atlas is too short in medium / tall grass for sure. The reason I prefer it is for the cinderblock and tire stage of NRL22 for example. The Accutac’s footprint is too wide to rest on the narrow edge of the cinderblock or the narrow side of the tire. Also on the barrel stage with the Atlas I can fold it back 45* and the height is perfect for me to shoot with both knees on the ground, the accutac is too high for me to do that so I have to stand in that stage which isn’t as stable for me. There are just a few examples for why I like the Atlas for NRL22. But for hunting or prone only work I prefer the bigger accutac .
Like you said, everyone prefers different things for each discipline. That’s why I’m rich with guns and equipment, but have no money! lol