• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Black Hills 175 SMK Red Box

TXCOWDOC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Aggieland (College Station, TX)
I've been shooting this stuff through my 700 LRT with an Omega 30 can. Shoots like a dream. Since I'm already set to load 308 subsonic, I am curous if anyone knew what would be a comparable powder to try to match this round. Shoots well but would like to laod my own. I'm getting 2520 fps out of my short barrel.
Thanks

Re: Black Hills 175 SMK Red Box

Pull a bullet and post a pic of the powder. LC M118lr is Rl-15 if I remember correctly.

If its ball-like, it could be one of the Ramshot propellents, TAC and Big Game being serious contenders, the two firms are <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> closely co-located.

Greg

Got the new box style Black Hills 175gr Red box. I pulled the round. Looks like 42.2gr of Varget. Pulled 4. 2=42.2, 1=42.1, 1=42.3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the new box style Black Hills 175gr Red box. I pulled the round. Looks like 42.2gr of Varget. Pulled 4. 2=42.2, 1=42.1, 1=42.3</div></div>

Good to know!! This is the 2650fps stuff right?

If 42.2gr of Varget doesn't deliver, maybe you should try 42.2gr of IMR-4064. That was my goto .308/175SMK load.

Greg

Is IMR brown/tan like varget? I will take a picture of the box later. It is not the usual black hills red box. It is a new style box I have not seen before

Not really, but what I have onhand is old and may be prior in origin to Hodgdon's acquisition of IMR.

Ok I'll take pictures of the powder to. Thanks.

Greg I was wrong. But I forgot that the 8208XBR looks like varget just a smaller cut. So 42.2 of XBR.
IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Top picture XBR and black hills, Second Varget and black hills .
Once again sorry. I messed up.