• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blemish on new LaRue 7.62 lower receiver.

Nepa1990

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2021
USA
I received my new 7.62 lower and noticed blemishes along most of the lettering in LaRue’s logo. Normally, small blemishes don’t bother me, but this is a build where I have quality at the utmost importance. No, it won’t affect function I know that, but I’m still not happy with it. It’s also a $300 piece.

I sent LaRue pictures and they offered to swap it out for a lower with less of these markings which sort of had me scratching my head.

I’m going to attach two images to see if it’s something that would bother you guys. I may end up selling it and try again in a month or so, maybe they’ll find out how to machine their logo correctly.

Did they make a batch of these with a dull bit that chipped out the edges? For me, as long as the interior was good, and it fits perfectly with the upper I would not worry about it.

Definitely should have been sold as a “cosmetic blem.”

There isn’t anything wrong with wanting something nice. “Less of these markings” doesn’t really exude confidence.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
Definitely should have been sold as a “cosmetic blem.”

There isn’t anything wrong with wanting something nice. “Less of these markings” doesn’t really exude confidence.

That would require LaRue to actually have good customer service, And for something that miniscule I guarantee you they're going to tell him to piss off.

For sure. At least he got some free season salt. 🙄
Todd HoDnetts continued pimping for Larue is just one of the reasons I can’t stand the guy. They used to be a great company. Took pride in their work and quality. Now all they care about is the money and govt contacts. They despise civilians

Interesting first post. Mark Larue will probably tell you to get fukt though and that’s the truth. Especially over something like this. Good luck OP!

Reactions: 1911hombre
Interesting first post. Mark Larue will probably tell you to get fukt though and that’s the truth. Especially over something like this. Good luck OP!
Many other companies that operate with integrity and pride would absolutely sell this as a blem. LaRue is the one that should get Fukt. His products aren’t that great and his ego and attitude towards civilian shooters are just two reasons why.

I should note that the problem actually carries over to the other text on the lower. Model & serial number. So it more than likely is a programming error or CNC error. Like I said, I understand this doesn’t impede function whatsoever, and although no one else might have noticed this, I tend to notice these things.

I’d expect this from a PSA offering; which is why I didn’t go that route, I didn’t mind spending a premium on a premium product, but it’s not what I received.

Also - not meant to be an interesting first post. I’ve lurked here awhile, and most of you guys seem pretty good. If I posted this on arfcom, I’d get responses that told me I’m not a true operator, etc, etc.

Just disappointed all around. I was looking forward to this rifle a lot. Customer service had also told me expected wait times for 7.62 uppers is now at 8 month’s.

I should note that the problem actually carries over to the other text on the lower. Model & serial number. So it more than likely is a programming error or CNC error. Like I said, I understand this doesn’t impede function whatsoever, and although no one else might have noticed this, I tend to notice these things.

I’d expect this from a PSA offering; which is why I didn’t go that route, I didn’t mind spending a premium on a premium product, but it’s not what I received.

Also - not meant to be an interesting first post. I’ve lurked here awhile, and most of you guys seem pretty good. If I posted this on arfcom, I’d get responses that told me I’m not a true operator, etc, etc.

Just disappointed all around. I was looking forward to this rifle a lot. Customer service had also told me expected wait times for 7.62 uppers is now at 8 month’s.
There is nothing wrong with demanding a quality product at a premium price. It doesn’t matter if it’s as stupid as a small scratch in the finish. It functions fine yes, but the product is not as advertised. If functionality is all that mattered and you were selling products that looked the mouth on a trailer park whore, than say so. If it were me, I’d send that shit back or demand a partial refund. It’s a blem. Plain and simple. All blems function this is true. But it’s still a blem.

Does it affect function? No
Did you pay full price for a first run item? Yes
Should you expect top quality, both in function and form? Yes (Would you drive a new truck off the lot with a dent or scratch? Of course not, even though you know you'll put some on it at some point)
Will Larue do anything about it? History says probably not.

This stuff doesn't bother me. In fact, if I can I generally buy "blemished" lowers to save money. All my guns are shooters and are eventually going to get some kind of ding/scratch anyway.

However, you did buy this new and not as a blemish. I think you are within your rights to ask for a replacement. Whether or not you get it is another story.

Nero fiddled while Rome burned........as the gestapo confiscates that from your safe I bet they dont notice those marks one bit.
Shit, when they take it they're gonna do a LOT worse to it than those tiny ass "blems"

Since I bought my Ptar .308 FDE I've had to Just about Gut the entire system to get it to operate as a $3500.00 Rifle should.

The original Bolt that came with it was out of spec, It had a chamfered oversize firing pinhole.

The heavy 16" OBR barrel with that Bullshit Xtraxn Chamber blew the Brass Cases out so wide it made it impossible to resize and reload the brass, unless you have a special resizing die made by Forster and you're annealing your brass after every use, and even then I still think you're work hardening the brass so much you're running the risk for a casehead separation.

That's why I had Compass Lake spin me up a Custom Bartlein Barrel for it, and switch to a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block so I could run any suppressor not just a LaRue, also switched over to an American Precision Arms Gen 3 little bastard muzzle brake.

I've swapped the original LaRue trigger out for a Triggertech AR10 Diamond and Im also running a JP H2 Silent Captured Spring I don't know if it was needed But might as well since I've had to unfuck everything else. I've also added ambidextrous safety and charging handle because it's 2021 and if you're asking over 3K for a rifle it better have ambidextrous controls.

But I am pleased to say that NOW she is an absolute dream to shoot and a hell of a lot more accurate.
IMG_20210301_114228678.jpg

I'd be embarrassed to complain about that to be honest.

Told you all, this board is turning into arfcom as they ban more people......
If you ordered a brand new vehicle, go to pick it up from the lot and it has a door ding, are you driving it off the lot?

Id be embarassed to just "accept" a flaw without question.

Reactions: Bully
that's a feature to save weight on the lower. :p

No better time to sell it then now. Trip it and buy from another place.

Fuck that, OP. I wouldn't accept that shit. The reason to spend the money on these supposed more quality products is to not have tooling marks like you have on your lower.

In the even you want to sell that thing in the future, you'll be the one stuck advertising it as a "blem" when you should not.

I'm guessing by the way they treated @bigjake83, they're going to tell you "too fucking bad, pound sand." Then again, there is a slight chance they are monitoring this thread, and just to spite Jake and @TacticalDillhole, they may send you an entire rifle for your troubles.

I know, I know, I'm pretty funny.

So if that is what they are most likely going to say, I'd trip it and move on. Or bang your head, raise your blood pressure, and then sell it and move on.

Either way doesn't seem like Larue was real good about this. I just cut my losses earlier these days.

Truth be told. I had a hard time seeing the blemishes in your first picture. Would it bother me? No but if It bothers you, then I would return it. I bet most of them have those blemishes. So I would just sell it or return then move along. I have several LaRue mounts and love them so I can’t speak bad about the company but that lower definitely has tooling marks.

Too bad you didn't have your magnifying glass with you when you did the transfer; you could have just refused it. It really is on the transferee to inspect before 4473'ing. Also, if you keep it and finish the build and go to sell it some day, NOBODY is going to notice that or give two shits.

I kind of like it.

Thought it was by design.

There will never be two the same.

Reactions: clcustom1911
They offered to exchange it so the whining about is odd.

The cynic in me says the blemish is intentional to distinguish between them and full factory built rifles given so many d-bags are trying to pass off UU kits as something other than they are.

Youre really over thinking this. Its a tool. Just put it together and go shoot it.

At 300.00 I would be pissed, very pissed. The whole point of people pay the higher price tag is for the QUALITY! Man, Larue keeps slipping.

I’d ask for a partial refund. That 10/10 should be sold as a blem.

i don’t treat my guns as safe queens so it’s not going to bother me. I’ll buy a blem when I can.

I mean it’s not like it’s a tier 1 lower...

Looks unique like others have said. Glad you magnified and circled it though-wouldn't have seen it otherwise lol. Probably is a blem though.

Reactions: Old brock
I'd be embarrassed to complain about that to be honest.

Told you all, this board is turning into arfcom as they ban more people......
True...

But I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, The semi auto forum used to see a handful of post a week now one can actually have a conversation about a topic and not have to wait weeks to see if anybody has a comment.

As for some of the people that bring odd or colorful response, its all good, cant take the interwebs too seriously.

As for the Ops lower. I am not sure that what they are expecting from 300 dollar, Large frame lower. 300 is not exactly a premium since

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Look at the first pic, you will see a line of dots across the center of both larue and tactical. My concern would be that their tooling is in need of repair. And if a manufacturer lets that slip with little concern, what other machines are they letting slip.

Reactions: TurboTrout
True...

But I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, The semi auto forum used to see a handful of post a week now one can actually have a conversation about a topic and not have to wait weeks to see if anybody has a comment.

As for some of the people that bring odd or colorful response, its all good, cant take the interwebs too seriously.

As for the Ops lower. I am not sure that what they are expecting from 300 dollar, Large frame lower. 300 is not exactly a premium since
$300 is more than an LMT stripped lower - that's puts it firmly in the "premium" tier

Reactions: Ravenworks
$300 is more than an LMT stripped lower - that's puts it firmly in the "premium" tier
Meh... LMT's are Mil guns, not premium guns and go for around 359, PSA stripped lowers are around 159 and are not premium. So a 300 dollar lower falls right in line most not really being a premium product.

I always thought the armadillo guns were one step above a poverty pony. $300 for a stripped lower, that’s one of those spikes crazy skull/crusader lowers kinda money, or better yet get a 80% in 7k series aluminum, machine it and have it hard anodized kinda money.

6297e6338236ae7c63918500cfd1a647.jpg

Meh... LMT's are Mil guns, not premium guns
Agree........

I had the barrel extension come separated from the barrel on an LMT carbine upper and they didn't even care.

So I threw their barrel in the trash and replaced it with a PSA. It actually shoots just as good.