• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Blueprint or custom action for Remington 700?

Mdeezyh2

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2022
Wisconsin
I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 (26" bull barrel) that I put a Krg Bravo and ELF 700 trigger on. Love the gun but the action sucks. Firing pin won't stay back reliably if I work the action too hard. Love the barrel though. Regularly within 1/2 MOA. I found out to solve the action issue I need to have it blueprinted by a gunsmith for $250-300. I had an idea today: can I just replace my action with a custom action (Curtis Axiom maybe) and keep the barrel til I shoot it out, and then maybe switch over the barrel to 6.5 Creedmoor? I understand the custom action is 4x as much as the blueprinting, but thinking the value could be worth it. Am I thinking through this right? Can my varmint barrel just be put on a custom action? New to long range shooting. Thanks!

Reactions: 338dude
Blueprinting wont help that action. No you cant use your barrel on a curtis. Yes you should get a custom action. There are a few out there that would suite you fine. The Zermatt Origin is probably the most popular here. The ARC Nucleus is another. Mack bros Evo II’s are $675 when they're in stock, and they're very nice.

Blueprinting wont help that action. No you cant use your barrel on a curtis. Yes you should get a custom action. There are a few out there that would suite you fine. The Zermatt Origin is probably the most popular here. The ARC Nucleus is another. Mack bros Evo II’s are $675 when they're in stock, and they're very nice.
Cool. Are you saying I could use my barrel on the others you mention, or I would still need a new barrel? Why is it I can't use mine on a curtis? Thanks!

Someone adjusted your sear engagement too light. That doesn't require a blueprint, that requires a trigger adjustment.
You can go full on blueprint, most gunsmiths will tell you they need to open up the threads to .010 over, which means you can't use your current barrel.
Truing the face of the action and a careful lapping of the lugs typically results in a very good shooting rifle, you would want to replace the recoil lug.
Is it worth truing a 700 action? Yes, if you already own it.

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 (26" bull barrel) that I put a Krg Bravo and ELF 700 trigger on. Love the gun but the action sucks. Firing pin won't stay back reliably if I work the action too hard. Love the barrel though. Regularly within 1/2 MOA. I found out to solve the action issue I need to have it blueprinted by a gunsmith for $250-300. I had an idea today: can I just replace my action with a custom action (Curtis Axiom maybe) and keep the barrel til I shoot it out, and then maybe switch over the barrel to 6.5 Creedmoor? I understand the custom action is 4x as much as the blueprinting, but thinking the value could be worth it. Am I thinking through this right? Can my varmint barrel just be put on a custom action? New to long range shooting. Thanks!
Call Robert, he is a hide sponsor and will steer you straight. FWIW, there are several highly respected gunsmiths that used to do accurizing jobs on 700's using the factory barrel.

• Love
I have custom actions and have trued REM 700 actions. I’ll never true another 700 action. This is due to needing to send the action in for a new barrel. With a custom action that guarantees headspace, you can order shouldered barrels and screw then on yourself. That’s a positive for me.

I'm talking about the sear height in relation to firing pin engagement. If it's not enough the firing pin will slide right over it

Reactions: DMP
But he already spent almost $300 on the ELF trigger, didn't say whether the adjustment is as it came from the factory, and is having issues. In another thread he's having the same issues with a Triggertech, which aren't made for Remington 700 actions, only clones. The reason is because of what I stated, sear height.

Thank you everyone for jumping in. Your knowledge is super helpful! Adjusting the sear height is something I would need to have a gunsmith do, right? Sorry for all the noob questions.

You can buy a Bix n Andy trigger with the correct sear height. Go on their website (Bullet Central) or youtube to see how the measurement is done, and call them up and order a trigger with the correct sear. No gunsmith required.

I'd jump on an origin and PVA prefit. I think today's the last day of their sale.

For $1500 you'd have a slick action and a brand spankin' new shouldered barrel that should shoot lights out.

Correct the sear engegement, sell the Remmy and be out of pocket for less than $1k. If you stick with PVA or proof prefits, future barrel changes will involve a lot less down time and lot less cash too. That alone makes it worthwhile.

See links below:

Attachments

• LRI_Remington Blueprinting_client brochure.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
I'd jump on an origin and PVA prefit. I think today's the last day of their sale.

For $1500 you'd have a slick action and a brand spankin' new shouldered barrel that should shoot lights out.

Correct the sear engegement, sell the Remmy and be out of pocket for less than $1k. If you stick with PVA or proof prefits, future barrel changes will involve a lot less down time and lot less cash too. That alone makes it worthwhile.
I see the barreled action on the website for $1450, but I don't see anything about a sale. What do they normally cost?

I wouldn't waste the money on a full true job. Do whatever you like but IMO/IME it's a theory-based "feel good" thing, and I haven't seen a single documented case of accuracy improvement that can be even partially trended to a blueprinting.

Sounds like you need a new trigger or cocking piece. I also would suggest getting the bolt handle timed for proper primary extraction because it makes one of the single biggest difference to how a M700 "feels" when operating the bolt.

Otherwise, Impact, American Rifle Co., Zermatt.... Can't go wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: HenryTheAce
I wouldn't waste the money on a full true job. Do whatever you like but IMO/IME it's a theory-based "feel good" thing, and I haven't seen a single documented case of accuracy improvement that can be even partially trended to a blueprinting.

Sounds like you need a new trigger or cocking piece. I also would suggest getting the bolt handle timed for proper primary extraction because it makes one of the single biggest difference to how a M700 "feels" when operating the bolt.

Otherwise, Impact, American Rifle Co., Zermatt.... Can't go wrong.
Yeah, Tac Ops never built a reputation for accuracy with the remington 700. Right @MikeRTacOps ?

LOL dude chill out. I'm not calling anyone out. I've cut dozens of barrels myself and done it six different ways on trued, custom, and stock actions and never seen it matter. If Mike has some evidence otherwise that's not theory-based argument I'm all eyes & ears.

I also didn't say shit against the M700. I'm just saying you don't need to blueprint them to get them to shoot just fine. Spin up a quality pipe and rock and roll.

Thank you everyone for jumping in. Your knowledge is super helpful! Adjusting the sear height is something I would need to have a gunsmith do, right? Sorry for all the noob questions.

Not at all - many videos on trigger adjustment - example:

If your action feeds reliably from box magazines, the bolt handle is to your liking, the effort required to run the bolt is to your liking, then a custom action is probably not worth it. Blueprinting will help the feel a little bit by more appropriately timing your sear engagement (but you'll need to sort out the sear height first). It might help accuracy if you start with a really bad action that has poor lug engagement, but I believe ultimately the quality of the blank, followed by the chamber and crown job are the primary non-ammunition drivers of accuracy.

What you will gain from some custom actions is an ability to buy a barrel off the internet and screw it on without needing a gunsmith, they also look cool, and have benefits in extraction.

With your original question, a barrel fitted from a Remington 700 will not headspace correctly (not sure if it'll even thread on) to a new action, so be prepared to shell out to get a new barrel or at the very least a rechambering of your old barrel to get shooting it.

Custom actions are great, but before going down that road, I think it's worth having a think about what you want your gun to do, because the myriad of options can be dizzying regarding actions, gunsmiths, blank manufacturers, contours, etc.

Reactions: Baron23
I am leaning toward getting the Origin barreled action from PVA. How are their delivery times compared to expectations? If I pay for 2 week expedited, will I actually get it within that timeframe?

Somebody is feeding you bullshit . Blueprint because your trigger needs adjusting , sweet story . Action sucks because the trigger needs adjusting , nope .

LOL dude chill out. I'm not calling anyone out. I've cut dozens of barrels myself and done it six different ways on trued, custom, and stock actions and never seen it matter. If Mike has some evidence otherwise that's not theory-based argument I'm all eyes & ears.

I also didn't say shit against the M700. I'm just saying you don't need to blueprint them to get them to shoot just fine. Spin up a quality pipe and rock and roll.
thumb_lighten-up-francis-memecrunch-com-lighten-up-francis-50404420.png

I am leaning toward getting the Origin barreled action from PVA. How are their delivery times compared to expectations? If I pay for 2 week expedited, will I actually get it within that timeframe?

Probably not, call a talk with them.

Thanks again guys. I just ordered an Origin action from Brownells and a in stock prefit barrel from PVA separately. The installation looks pretty straightforward, but let me know if you have any tips. Looking forward to giving it a try! I had never heard of the Origin before this thread, so I'm glad it went this route!

Thanks again guys. I just ordered an Origin action from Brownells and a in stock prefit barrel from PVA separately. The installation looks pretty straightforward, but let me know if you have any tips. Looking forward to giving it a try! I had never heard of the Origin before this thread, so I'm glad it went this route!

Go gauge or at least some good virgin brass to check headspace - PVA is great, but the risk isn't worth the few bucks for a gauge.

If you are new to shooting this is what I suggest. Get a trigger job and shoot it like it is. Save the money and use this setup to work on drills, timing and variable distances. Once your skills build up then you should look into a new bbl with an action job.
This will save a new bbl so you can really take advantage of it's accuracy while it's new. Also make it a habit to log your shots. This is a failure a lot of civilian shooters make. Develop good habits. Clean it right with a good bore guide and rod. Brush it with a nylon brush and Kano Kroil to loosen up the crap. Then go to a chem type for copper removal but DO NOT EVER LEAVE it in the bbl but for only a couple minuted. Chems can be corrosive and also can cause Hydrogen Embrittlement that can damage the rifling. Learn how to take care of this bbl so not to screw up a good new one. Make sure to follow the bbl makers suggestions for breaking in the new bbl.
Robert

Call Robert, he is a hide sponsor and will steer you straight. FWIW, there are several highly respected gunsmiths that used to do accurizing jobs on 700's using the factory barrel.

I recently got a Remington 700 extractor from him great price (just about half of others)shipped very quickly I would recommend him highly!

Reactions: TCK73
If you put that Elf trigger on your new origin, without adjusting the trigger sear, guess what its probably gonna do?....

20220725_001844.jpg

Much better! Went with the Origin action and 26" M24 prefit barrel from PVA chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. ELF 700 trigger on a KRG Bravo Chassis. Burris XTR II scope thats getting replaced with a Vortex PST Gen 2 later this week. Thanks for the help everyone! Can't wait to get out and shoot it tomorrow.