• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bolt Life?

alexzeph142

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
How long does a Rem 700 Bolt usually live, where are the failing points? I am looking to send it to GAP and have a Badger knob installed and an M16 style extractor for now, but down the road i want to upgrade the entire rifle and just bring the bolt with it. Is it able to be trued in the future? What is the truing procedure/term mean?

Re: Bolt Life?

Never had a Rem 700 bolt fail in any way, either in hunting, or in F Class type supported precision prone competitive shooting.

Ditto for Ruger 77MKII's, an M70 Post-64, Savage Model 10's.

I have managed to destroy probably over a half dozen ejector springs on a couple of Savage Model 10 Bolt heads. These were solely the result of blown primers, and I attribute them to operator misuse, rather than unacceptable parts failure.

When treated with reasonable wisdom, and operated with reasonable respect, factory parts will do the job they were designed to do long after anyone I know could reasonably fault them for their performance.

If I were planning to operate my equipment outside the limits of reasonable usage, my first choice for the upgrades would be GAP.

Greg