• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought a LMT, Need an Optic - Tell Me What to Do

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2009
    WA, USA
    So, I just picked up a new 16" LMT CQBPS16 for use in carbine coursework, 2 gun/3 gun matches and personal protection. I am not really much of a carbine guy, but that is going to change. Not (I think) looking to go with a magnified optic. I have been looking at, and reading about, Aimpoint H1/T1 and Eotechs. I found some older posts that discussed these, but there are newer Eotech models that are supposed to have addressed some of the earlier concerns.

So, what are you running? What would you recommend? Are there other red dots I should be looking at? All help appreciated.

For a red dot, as the other guys said, the H1 or T1 is the way to go. For a cheaper and larger dot sight, I like the Aimpoint PRO for value.

There is something to be said for the versatility of a true 1x scope though, such as a 1-6x24. With practice they can come close to red dot speed (not quite) and can press the range out to 500 + yards. I love the Trijicon 1-4x24 with amber triangle. If you don't envision shooting past 150ish yards much, the red dot is probably the way to go, IMO.

Love the Eotech , very fast to find the dot, hold overs,rugged, who cares if you have to buy a battery once in a while , speed is tops. look at some of the 3 gun matchs and see what they use, Burris XTR 1x4 with throw lever works wonders , the 1x8s $ are crazy now.

For a red dot, as the other guys said, the H1 or T1 is the way to go. For a cheaper and larger dot sight, I like the Aimpoint PRO for value.

Any of the Aimpoints will serve you well. The Pro is a great value.

Mounts: LaRue, American Defense or Bobro will work very well.

If you want something a little cheaper Price wise The Vortex Sparc is a great choice for a small Red Dot. Comes with two mount choices from the factory. As for a good Mid Range Scope you might also want to look at the New Primary Arms 1-6x24 Scope with their new ACS Ret. It's very thought out and works great, the glass are very good for the money too.

The aimpoint PRO is a tough value to beat for a red dot. I have liked the QRP@ mount so far and it's always within .5moa @ 50yds when re-mounted. Before the PRO I ran a Comp C3 in a ADM mount. My experiences with that were also very positive. I would like to someday try a T1. Those seem like the cats' ass.

I use both (micro and exps3) on my AR's. Both have their unique qualities. Unless you plan to shoot consistently at 300+ meters, go with a red dot. When I want to "stretch it's legs" I simply add a QD 3x magnifier. If you plan to learn CQB tactics and training, a red dot is the best solution.