• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brake/Trigger choices for LMT MWS

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I'm setting up an MWS (.308) for state AWB compliance. I know little about brakes and would just as soon leave the A2 FH on but not an option.

I'm thinking of this Surefire item for a brake

http://www.surefire.com/sfmb-762-5-8-24-muzzle-brake.html

I'd like to have what the Brits mount on the L129A1 (made by Surefire) but I think its a FS only (three prong style).

For a trigger I'm thinking the Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced

http://geissele.com/superdynamicenhanced.aspx

My intended shooting will be from a bipod, on my belly, at bullseye targets so the light pull will be nice and the moving, hunting/competition use, safety factor, is less of a concern in my decision.

If anyone has advice to offer I would appreciate your experience sharing.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Brake/Trigger choices for LMT MWS

I have the Geissele SD-E on mine and it is outstanding.

For a brake I have a BABC on my 16" CL barrel and it seems to work well. I also have an 18" SS barrel with a SF MB762SSAL/Re brake that works possibly a little better than the Battle Comp, it is hard to tell much difference. Both brakes are loud!

For a trigger, either the Geissele SSA-E or SD-E. I swapped my SSA-E for the SD-E and love it.

For a brake, take a look at the Primary Weapons PRC. It all but eliminates ground signature when shooting from a bipod or prone and greatly reduces the amount of felt recoil. It's designed specifically for a precision rifle and it works as intended.

Thank you for your time replying.

It seems I have researched well.

Not having the rifle yet in hand can someone confirm the following

Barrel thread - 5/8-24

Pin size - .154"

Both of those numbers are correct, for the muzzle threads and the trigger pins.

Thank you.

I do not think you can go wrong with the Surefire and Geissele combo. I have the Surefire 7.62 MB762-211C Muzzle Brake/Adapter on my OBR and it works great.

I picked up some chatter that the diameter of the LMT barrel beyond the threads may cause an issue with the Surefire. Anyone heard anything similar or have used the combo and confirms there are no issues?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up some chatter that the diameter of the LMT barrel beyond the threads may cause an issue with the Surefire. Anyone heard anything similar or have used the combo and confirms there are no issues? </div></div>

Yes, If you have an early barrel the outside diameter will be too large to fit into the rear of the Surefire brake. It is easy to spot if you have an early barrel, the barrel is straight in front of the gas block-No step down. If your barrel has a step down in diameter you will see it about 3" behind the shoulder for muzzle threads.

I know that the reduced diameter is needed for the long SF brake like the 762ssal/RE.
    I thought that the short version of the brake did not require any reduction in barrel diameter, just the same as a birdcage FH.

Thank you Wilshire.

My rifle shipped in August I wont have my eyes and hands on it until next month. Does that time frame most likely put me in the new barrel contour period?

I guess it wont matter as I intend to get the shorter of the two muzzle brakes. I'm only waiting on a Brownellss 10% off or free shipping deal to make my order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kOrBust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have SD-E and PWS muzzle brake.
    </div></div>

I like the FDE. Mine is also wearing it.

LMT.jpg