• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass catcher for .308 AR?

bhart89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
LA
Spent yesterday shooting my Mega Maten chambered in .260 Remington. The accuracy of this rifle is superb however I found myself only shooting a shot or two before I got up to hunt through the grass for my brass (nosler). So until someone comes out with an awesome quality .260 Remington brass case at steel case prices I may end up looking for some type of brass catcher so I can shift my focus back on shooting, not looking for brass.

Which brass catchers do you recommend?

This is essentially the same item from Amazon, after wading through several suppliers' offerings of the same thing, lowest price I could find. Except for the logo, it appears identical to the other one I have, with the Caldwell brand name.

I use it for .223/5.56 and I probably need more experience with getting it seated right on the receiver, so it may drop the occasional casing but it still keeps it from flying away.

I have absolutely no idea how well it will work with other chamberings. After spending some time reloading .223 this past week, I looked over at some .260 casinge across the bench and realized they are a lot bigger than I seem to remember them being.

Greg

Last edited:
Last time I was at the range, I grabbed a veil from my son's airsoft stuff; draped it over the rifle and bam, perfect brass pile under the gun when I was done shooting. I think this was like $7-8 at the local surplus store. I did get some funny looks at the range, until it was realized why I was doing what I was doing, then people wanted to know where to get something similar.

Last time I was at the range, I grabbed a veil from my son's airsoft stuff; draped it over the rifle and bam, perfect brass pile under the gun when I was done shooting. I think this was like $7-8 at the local surplus store. I did get some funny looks at the range, until it was realized why I was doing what I was doing, then people wanted to know where to get something similar.

Similarly, before I got the catcher bag, I simply tucked one corner of one of those red shop rags between the scope and rail so it hung down over the port. The brass simply piled up below the ejection port. Still not sure if the bag is really any better. With the cloth, it's a Hell of a lot easier to clear a stoppage.

Greg

3BUCC BRASS CATCHER

It is an awesome brass catcher that minimizes malfunction since it has framework to allow the round to be thrown totally free from the ejection port prior to the bag be able to affect the action.

I use my face from time to time due to being a south paw. It's free but it stings.

I actually use a shop rag stuck under my scope and it piles the brass up under the rifle.

ball cap hung off the top turret of the scope. the soft catchers with no frame work can cause malfunctions if not installed far enough forward. Have two but the ball cap works flawless. and they are cheap as well.

I use my face from time to time due to being a south paw. It's free but it stings.

I actually use a shop rag stuck under my scope and it piles the brass up under the rifle.

Ha. That's hilarious. I'm a southpaw too, but luckily I'm right eye dominant. I can't afford to be catching hot brass to the face, I'm ugly enough already. =^)

How 'bout dis wan...
action8msg90korfemale.jpg

Base ball cap?:)

I made my brass catcher with stuff from around the house that I wasn't using anymore. Works great and was free. I'm not a fan of brass catchers that hang off the rifle.

IMG_7115_zps729e549f.jpg

IMG_7121_zps2c7f3133.jpg