• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

brass catcher for AR

pby5cat

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2012
Agoura Hills, California
So I have a Fulton Armory 6.5 creedmoor phantom upper and it shoots great. The upper doesnt have a shell deflecter because it is a side charger. So the shells come out at the 5:30 position, if the barrel is the 12 position, and fly a a good 6 feet. I am trying to save my brass for reloading.

Has anyone sucessfully used a shell catcher net or bag for thier AR? Should I just get a rail mount shell deflecter?

Re: brass catcher for AR

I bought the caldwell one that straps on to the forearm. Good price, but caused a jam when the bag was still empty and no weight to pull it closed. I also lost some brass out theside. But on the positive it helped me practice malfuction drills and i did not have to police up all my brass.

I got one from Midway and its worked pretty good for me. Sometimes the brass will hang up just inside. Just make sure they fall into the bottom of the mesh bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://tacticalbrassrecovery.com/ </div></div>

I have this same catcher. I love that it folder down flat against the rifle, so you could leave it on through travel if you wanted to.

Also, it bends out of the way if you need access to the chamber. After a few 1000 rounds, mine has only dropped 2-3 pieces

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://tacticalbrassrecovery.com/ </div></div>

+1

This is the real deal, not cheap though.
I have the QD rail mount model, and use it on 6 different AR10/15 rifles.

Interesting link...
I bought the cheapo UTG for my son's Grendel, worked like shit for him...shells would get hung up in the bag, or bounce back and cause a stovepipe on the next round.

He shoots it primarily long range from the bench, and simply drapes a mesh bag around it somehow, and it gets the job done. That Grendel brass is $$, so we try not to lose any of it.

My biggest problem is that he just keeps loading clips and shooting- and the brass gets all mixed up and now I can't separate based on # of times reloaded..

I am a cheap bastard, so I just use a USPS flat rate box set on end with a magazine in the bottom for weight. It catches...some the brass, but bounces a lot of it right back out. Folding the bottom flap closed solved some of the problems. It works decently enough at the range though.

I got the Caldwell one and I like it for shooting from the bench. I haven't had any issues with it causing malfunctions, but I only use it for targets, not in the field.

Hang an old ball cap around the optic mount, drops the brass right there beside you in a neat little pile.

+1 on the ball cap... just don't forget and put it on your head while still full of hot brass, unless you really need to make your spotter piss him (or her) self laughing...

On the range I just put a small bit of fabric under the scope and let it hang down. Brass hits it and falls straight down. In theory it could cause a malfunction so I would not use it in the field, but works fine on the range. Or you can just set a box up and let it fly in and fall.

I made this for the range. I used a plastic Folgers coffee container and cut it up how i wanted it. then used the mesh bag with pull string. I made a stand for it but isn't pictured.
IMG_0889.jpg

Then I made this one. The stand I acquired, I don't know what the proper name for it is. The mesh bag I got at Big5 cheap. It has a larger diameter, easier to catch brass. I used a length of flat metal rod to fabricate the bag mouth ring and secured bag to it with Zip Ties. The stand has magnetic base, I use a paint can lid underneath to stabilize the whole thing. Works awesome to catch my brass for next reloads in them, a must have.
IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

^^ Nice set up there

I use a fishing net that I cut down and C-clamp it to the bench. I got to try one of those flex stands.

I use a hat with velco adjustable back also.. Think I have like 8 Bravo Company hats laying around for duty.

This is what I designed to solve the problem for me. It's lightweight pvc fence railing cut and shaped to the form you see. This one clips on behind the scope mount, and a small aluminum pin engages one of the holes in the back of the ff tube. Very secure and 100% reliable. Trap door in the bottom opens to empty spent casings. Does not block access to any controls, even for lefties.

SDC10082.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: damitboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That holder you are using is a magnetic indicator base and can be had at harbor freight.

Dave </div></div>

Harbor Freight, aye!! Well there you go, the rest of the thing wasn't hard to make. It's perfect for the range. I need to get a smarter plate for the bottom, that paint can lid is stupid looking.