• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Cleaning Question - Dry Tumbling

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
I've been a wet/ultrasonic cleaner guy previously. I decided I would try tumbling, but wanted to do it dry. Popped over to Primal Rights, dug through my pantry for my medium grain sushi rice, dumped two pounds or so of that into the tumbler with a bunch of brass, and off I went. Three hours later, the brass certainly looks clean, as clean as or better than ultra/wet. However, it doesn't feel clean... by that, I mean there's a very fine residue/film on the brass. Might be that I'm a dummy and that's normal, might be I missed a step or three and done screwed up. The question: which is it?

Further details - I lubed the cases with OneShot, sized them, trimmed them, chamfered/deburred.

Anyhow, traded my last 700 CCI 200 to a buddy along with a 1/2 lb of H4350 for about 175 130 TMK, so now I'm doing load workup for IMR4451, CCI 250... got a few days before I confirm MV/pressure and test for seating depth. Fingers crossed that same projo at roughly the same MV means I can just throw charges and send it. Just need clean brass to load.

I would run it through the tumbler again with corn or walnut media, hopefully that removes the starch.........

The solution is clear ... after you dry tumble with media that leaves a residue ... wet tumble to remove it.

Seriously though ... I wet-tumble using a Frankford Arsenal Tumbler, and THIS STUFF ... and my brass always comes out super clean and shiny, even the primer pockets. Never warmed up to dry tumbling, or using steel pins for wet tumbling. Both are a pain in the ass. I wet tumble for 90 minutes after decapping, and then for an hour after sizing to remove lube. Works great for me.

Use three or four dryer sheets cut into strips in the dry tumbler. They will soak up some of that dust and dirt.

If you wet tumble use armor all wash and wax, just a little bit though.

Mother of pearl... the whole point of this was not spending a ton of time fucking with my brass after the fact. I hate that when I use my ultrasonic to clean the brass, then I have to use water to clean the brass again, then I have to dry the brass on top of that. Hugely tedious... At this rate, I'm about to see if Killshot is still doing brass for Hide members.

Short term, I might just take one for the team... er... science... load it, shoot it, see what happens. Hard to imagine my hand loads getting worse than they are...

Short term, I might just take one for the team... er... science... load it, shoot it, see what happens. Hard to imagine my hand loads getting worse than they are...
Dont worry about it, youll find zero difference. Its a little starch dust and then lube as well but it doesnt hurt a thing and if anything youll find it to be more consistent. Plus if you actually used medium grain you wont have to unclog flash holes.
1635284646134.png

I over tumbled brass using rice once. It left a white cake of stuff inside the case. The cases were sure pretty on the outside.