• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass doesn't fit shellholder

SturmHead

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
Ky
I have a RCBS shellholder for my Rock Chucker. In the past I have had problems with some of my military 7.62x51 NATO cases fitting in it and I figured it was because the case rims were burred or bent from being fired from my gas guns. However I tried brand new unprimed Winchester 308 brass in it last night, and about 10% of the cases absolutely would not fit into the shellholder. They fit in the shellholder for my Lee AutoPrimer, but not the RCBS shellholder.
I measured the rims of the cases and they ran .001-.003 thicker than the examples that fit.
So I have three questions:
1. Do I need another brand of shellholder?
2. Did Winchester put out a bad lot of brass?
3. Has anybody else had this problem?
It would really suck to loose 10% of this brass.

Re: Brass doesn't fit shellholder

Call RCBS and email them a picture! They will send you a new shell holder no questions asked. You probaly do not even need to send them a picture! They may want the old one back?? But I doubt it!

I have been using the Lee shell holders! Bought a couple of the Universal packs. They pretty much cover the spectrum of cartridges. I keep one set for the press and another for the priming unit.

Terry

RCBS Customer Service >> <span style="font-weight: bold">1-800-533-5000 </span>

Re: Brass doesn't fit shellholder

If a replacement shell holder doesn't resolve the issue, using the shell holder for a 6.x55 will provide more clearance. NOTE: Some brands use a 30-30 shell holder for 6.5x55 and will provide more clearance than necessary. A different brand of -06/-08 shell holder may be all that's needed.

There's no need to waste the brass.