• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass ?

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
Just added a pre-chambered and threaded barrel to my savage 110 action. I had allot of bullets loaded up for the old barrel that were loaded to Sammi Specs, FL resized, trimmed for length, and loaded under book max to use as break in loads. I also have about 75 pieces of brass that have been fl resized and trimmed. My problem is that neither the loaded rounds or the empty cases will fit in the new barrel. The bolt will no where near close without crushing the case shoulder. I tried bumping the shoulders back on the empty cases but they still wont work. I tried a couple pieces of brass from a buddies gun and they were a no go too. However, factory rounds chamber fine. Is there anything I can do to not lose 150 pieces of brass?

Re: Brass ?

I would say your old barrel was right at the "field" gauge. I have one question though, with your old loads resized after shooting in your old barrel, did you have primers that were backed out? If not, I am somewhat curious as to how much difference a factory load mics as compared to your "old" ammo?

I don't even know what to say or do now. I just cleaned the tee total hell out of the new barrel with 3 different kinds of solvents. I also bought some cheap factory ammo to break my gun in with and get some chamber measurements. I cycled all 20 of the factory ammo to make sure they would fit(the did). I then grabbed a few of the ones that got stuck earlier and put them in the gun and they went in, no problem. Don't know what the hell happened but every piece of brass and every loaded round cycles now, even the one that I had to beat the bolt back with a hammer to open. Any clues??

I have a pretty good idea, had it happen to me. There was a small "chip" of metal or material at the shoulder area in your new barrel left after chambering or from shipping. Just those few thousandths difference between factory rounds and your reloads caused the problem I am guessing. After you cleaned whatever was out of there, problem gone. Good luck with the new barrel.

Rich