• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

broke lee universal deprimer pin on 2nd piece of brass

rweaver00geo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
benton il
tried a 223 brass, no problem. threw in a 308 felt a little pressure readjusted the die pressed a little more and snap discovered a berdan piece of brass. F***me! Totally my fault brass came from a friend and never thought to check.

And adjust the tension on the decapping pin so that it slides up when it hits a berdan piece of brass instead of breaking.

Lee customber servie is best. Send them emile with your address and a picture of your broken drpriming pin, they will send you one within a week.

In time, you will learn to identify Berdan cases by head stamp markings. Any unfamiliar head stamps should be checked with a flashlight to if it's Boxer or Berdan.
We've all busted decapping pins. Much less now after learning this lesson.

Or, you could just keep a few of these pins "in stock" For $3 each from Midway.. They make really handy tools for cleaning tumbler media out of flash holes, too.

Primers come out easily with very little force, even crimped ones. I learned long ago to use only a little force. You can feel if your pin is misaligned or you have hit a berdan primer. If your press don't want to go, don't force it.
This wisdom comes after breaking many decapping pins. About 6 years ago I bought 10 of them and looking at the box I have 5 left plus one in the die. Broke one this year because there was a pebble stuck in the case.
I also found that magic compression that holds the pin in place until you hit a hard stop and then gives is elusive -- my pin kept creeping up until it wouldn't decap. Adjust, creep, repeat.

tried a 223 brass, no problem. threw in a 308 felt a little pressure readjusted the die pressed a little more and snap discovered a berdan piece of brass. F***me! Totally my fault brass came from a friend and never thought to check.

Mine broke on the first one.

Lee customber servie is best. Send them emile with your address and a picture of your broken drpriming pin, they will send you one within a week.

Called them up, the man said "yes, they are nearly unbreakable." I said, "Your paper in the box says 'Guaranteed Unbreakable.'" He said to picture it and email it. I did, and requested two pins, and they sent two in less than 5 days.

In time, you will learn to identify Berdan cases by head stamp markings. Any unfamiliar head stamps should be checked with a flashlight to if it's Boxer or Berdan.

I try by headstamp, but I also go by feel on the press. This can be a little tricky, as some crimped primers are very tough to remove. I have a mini flash light with an "antenna" type light, sorta like a bore light, and it has a magnet on it's base. I stuck that on my press, and bent the flex tip to a good angle to see into cases, and if I am suspecting a berdan, then I can easily look down the neck to see one hole or two.

Mine broke on the first one.

Called them up, the man said "yes, they are nearly unbreakable." I said, "Your paper in the box says 'Guaranteed Unbreakable.'" He said to picture it and email it. I did, and requested two pins, and they sent two in less than 5 days.

I try by headstamp, but I also go by feel on the press. This can be a little tricky, as some crimped primers are very tough to remove. I have a mini flash light with an "antenna" type light, sorta like a bore light, and it has a magnet on it's base. I stuck that on my press, and bent the flex tip to a good angle to see into cases, and if I am suspecting a berdan, then I can easily look down the neck to see one hole or two.

Don't feel bad. Same thing happened to me. I've got more decapping pins on the list for my next order...whenever the things I need finally come back in stock.