• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Broken Square Deal B

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
Tonight while loading .45acp on my SDB the shellplate bolt broke in half.
I contacted Dillon for a replacement. Is this a common bolt that I could find locally?
I am in the midst of several matches and really need to load more ammo.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Broken Square Deal B

They don't break very often unless the adjustment is continually out of whack. You may want to order an additional one from Dillon as well as their spare parts kit for the SDB so that you've got most of the common replacement/failure/lost parts to use while waiting on the replacement part(s) to arrive. They're pretty inexpensive when you figure most parts break or are lost when loading before a match
wink.gif

Just curious, but where is the break? Been a while since I had my hands on a SD, but I doubt you'll find the exact bolt locally.

It broke at the point where the threads start.

From how the bolt is shaped I won't be able to find it locally.

Queequeg, what can I say?

Jim

Mine broke also. Dillon says to put a light film of grease on the new one and it should be fine. Also learned that if you put too much bell on the case, the powder die tends to stick causing alot more force to be used on the downstroke which transfers to the shellplate bolt.
DaG

I will put a little grease on hte threads. The threads on the one that broke were loose when I extracted the broken piece out.
I just barely bell the case mouth. In fact my crimp die does nothing- the case mouth measure correctly after seating the bullet.
I bought this from dad years ago. he got it in a trade. It is the early version of the Square Deal B, and has had many tens of thousands of rounds loaded. I am guessing it just broke.
Jim