• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buddies 22 creed blew up…. Any ideas

If the brass hadnt failed, would the rifle had blown up?

Probably not if I had to guess. Nobody really knows. You'd probably have pretty stout/stiff bolt lift, maybe rip a chunk of the rim off of a stuck case etc... but what really screwed the pooch was the brass failing, blowing gas out of the breach, blowing the extractor away, ballooning the magazine well, which is what obliterated the stock's integrity. Without that high volume high pressure gas flow you'd see much less damage.

Now I'm not going to say you could do that indefinitely. There's also a limit to what the action, barrel, barrel/action threads, bolt, etc. will all take, and it could be that the venting of gas is what saved some critical components. A person certainly has to consider the design & materials being used and how that loading scenario affects integrity and fatigue life. In this case, however, the brass seems to have been the weak link. If a lug or cross section of the action, or a barrel wall too thin is the weak link, all bets are off.

Probably not if I had to guess. Nobody really knows. You'd probably have pretty stout/stiff bolt lift, maybe rip a chunk of the rim off of a stuck case etc... but what really screwed the pooch was the brass failing, blowing gas out of the breach, blowing the extractor away, ballooning the magazine well, which is what obliterated the stock's integrity. Without that high volume high pressure gas flow you'd see much less damage.

Now I'm not going to say you could do that indefinitely. There's also a limit to what the action, barrel, barrel/action threads, bolt, etc. will all take, and it could be that the venting of gas is what saved some critical components. A person certainly has to consider the design & materials being used and how that loading scenario affects integrity and fatigue life. In this case, however, the brass seems to have been the weak link. If a lug or cross section of the action, or a barrel wall too thin is the weak link, all bets are off.

Academic question. Do you think the brass failed due to lug setback?

Or think the brass was splitting at the head regardless?

How in the name of all that is holy did you blow up a DT to the point where it damaged it? I couldn't do it, even with a full 338LM case of pistol powder and a 285 hornady jammed into the lands.

A DT was used to test the new Alpha OCD brass, and I filled a 22CM case with H4350 to the top of the neck. Right at 47grs. I then crushed a 75gr ELDM on top, jammed into the lands about 40 thousandths. That 75gr eldm pulled almost 4,000 fps. Ejected the case just fine. No significant damage to the case. I didn't even keep it, because it looked like I could easily load it again. lol

For those without much experience with fast 22cals. ... a 22-243AI can't even do that. Not even close.

Yet just as I always say, the pressure is there... and you can't be trying to convert cartridges into other cartridges. They are what they are. They do what they do.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube

I have not shared this before today and I would love to share the whole thing with you. I have many detailed photos of all the pieces, and detailed dimensions of the swollen barrel chamber, plus a Quickload calculation of the actual used powder. This was done with a 30-378 Wby. So there was plenty of power to cause the destruction, especially with a way to fast powder like happen. I will explain how I got the barrel out of the chassis, and put it all back together again too. The DTA design probably saved my life! I am at a customer now, but would like to share this story later if you are interested.

Academic question. Do you think the brass failed due to lug setback?

Or think the brass was splitting at the head regardless?

A better quality photo of the lugs in the receiver would be nice to say with more certainty, but my guess with what you can see is that the extractor side of the case was the path of least resistance and the internal pressure in the case was enough to rupture through the head regardless. Considering the loads being used, a guy tends to question the integrity of the reloaded brass.

The lugs on the Nucleus bolt have that curvature to begin with, and although it's blurry and hard to see exactly what happened inside the receiver, the abutments look normal, but it's hard to tell if those are typical wear lines or a scar as blurry as the pic is at that point.

ETA: Be nice to see other fired cases from this batch.

Reactions: jpndave
When you run these in QuickLOAD you have to use ALL of the data to get a close estimate of pressure. Something else is going on here to get the 4150fps, maybe carbon/copper in the barrel? Tight bore? Here is the run using all defaults with a Barnes solid. The quoted 85k psi would be close if the speeds were at ~4kfps. The 4150fps has to be up near 100k psi. That is all assuming a 26" barrel and other default conditions. Go to a 24" or other deviation and it will change. This is the default for brass volume too, Alpha will most likely be a bit less which raises pressure with the same charge.

1639666985289.png

A better quality photo of the lugs in the receiver would be nice to say with more certainty, but my guess with what you can see is that the extractor side of the case was the path of least resistance and the internal pressure in the case was enough to rupture through the head regardless. Considering the loads being used, a guy tends to question the integrity of the reloaded brass.

The lugs on the Nucleus bolt have that curvature to begin with, and although it's blurry and hard to see exactly what happened inside the receiver, the abutments look normal, but it's hard to tell if those are typical wear lines or a scar as blurry as the pic is at that point.

ETA: Be nice to see other fired cases from this batch.
This☝️

And if possible, barrel length? Maybe measure some of the previous fired brass compared to the original to see how much headspace/oversized the chamber is? A few shots that high pressure in and oversized/excess headspace then sized back to original could cause that head separation.

I think about 1k rounds is what guys are getting….. not my buddy 😂😂😂

I have 2 of them we shall see

I asked this question and this was the kinda ballpark I was told.

I know one guy who jumped on the 22CM train early on and he reckons he got 2500 rounds out of his. Not sure how he managed that (maybe really babying the barrel - lots of cooling time between shots etc) but if true this sounds like the exception rather than the norm.

Reactions: Holliday
Owning a race car does not make you a race car driver. Owning a press does not make you a reloader. The rules are there for your protection, if you brake the rules have your shit together and be prepared to take the consequences.

So this is one of the most fascinating threads on SH in a while.

OP, sorry about your friend's rifle and glad he is Ok. If I am right in my reading and he has subsequently posted here.... thanks for sharing the info.

So I have a question sort of related to all this...

I am just starting to reload for .338 LM and will be loading Badlands Precision 250 GR solids after I run some fireforming rounds. Working off Data in the 2021 Hornady reloading manual... most recent edition. And for my first 'fireforming' rounds my charges are well below max. So I am not worried about these first loads.

However, after the brass is fireformed... I am going to be loading the Badlands solids.

This is the first time I've loaded monolithics. That said, I have loaded 'solids' in large 'African' Calibers (.458 Mag, .416 Taylor and .470 Capstick...). But these cartridges are a far cry from the pressures of a .338 LM or some of the other new high-pressure cartridges this thread is discussing. There is also 'published' data for African 'solids' in most of these calibers as they date back decades. And solids are commonly in use in those cartridges. But it appears that 'solids' are not monolithics!

And so (despite being a pretty experienced reloader -- who is learning all the time)... I have some questions as I get into the new realm of .338 and monos.

I am interested in several posts in this thread indicating that the 'small bore' monolithics (and I presume that includes my .338) are generating significantly higher pressures than their jacketed counterparts of the same grain weight. And don't want to overcharge, even if I am not likely to go to maximum published loads. Also, I will have to check my new reloading manual, but I don't think it even has data for monolithics!

So is there a source or a formula that helps work out the charge for solids vs. jacketed rounds? Is there a specific loading manual or trustworthy Internet source? Should I start using a database or program like QuickLoad that I see above? Is there a thread here that I have not seen on Monos?

Obviously, this is new territory for my loading... and there is always more to learn. And blowed up guns are not something I want to experience. So any input or direction from folks here is much appreciated. Thanks @orkan and @Hoplite Arms Ammunition as well.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Weight for weight, the solids/monolithics being less dense, will take up more volume. One or both of the following are by definition going to happen; 1) Closer to the lands, 2) More case intrusion (less case capacity). Both will boost pressure for an equal powder charge.

Other things that can (but not necessarily happen) are higher engraving forces, and the effects of a tighter-than-nominal bore can be exacerbated because they're not as "squishy" as lead core bullets.

To complicate this more, there are design characteristics that can flip to either side of "standard" cup&core. Engraving forces can be much higher, or much lower. Equal pressure may result in faster or slower velocity. It really depends on the driving band(s) or bearing surface, and the material & barrel being used.

ETA: So to your question.... Best bet is to try to find load data specifically for the bullet you're using. Otherwise, approach things cautiously. If it's a bullet that has a single driving band section, or a bullet that has greatly reduced full-diameter bearing surface(s), then you might be able to match or exceed cup&core velocities. If it's a traditional bearing surface, don't necessarily try to match equal weight cup&core velocity.

Yeah I told him… any factory action he might not be doing so well…
With all due respect I disagree with that, the path of the escaping gas is through the extractor cut out which is the cause of the total destruction of the rifle.
In a similar situation in a Remington 700 the bolt nose, because it has no cut outs, will generally obturate and contain the gas and brass fragments.
There must have been a pretty poor fit between the action and barrel threads for them to part company in that manner

With all due respect I disagree with that, the path of the escaping gas is through the extractor cut out which is the cause of the total destruction of the rifle.
In a similar situation in a Remington 700 the bolt nose, because it has no cut outs, will generally obturate and contain the gas and brass fragments.
There must have been a pretty poor fit between the action and barrel threads for them to part company in that manner
The barrel was removed with a wrench to extract all the pieces…

It didn’t separate. The bolt stayed closed

Reactions: M77
So this is one of the most fascinating threads on SH in a while.

OP, sorry about your friend's rifle and glad he is Ok. If I am right in my reading and he has subsequently posted here.... thanks for sharing the info.

So I have a question sort of related to all this...

I am just starting to reload for .338 LM and will be loading Badlands Precision 250 GR solids after I run some fireforming rounds. Working off Data in the 2021 Hornady reloading manual... most recent edition. And for my first 'fireforming' rounds my charges are well below max. So I am not worried about these first loads.

However, after the brass is fireformed... I am going to be loading the Badlands solids.

This is the first time I've loaded monolithics. That said, I have loaded 'solids' in large 'African' Calibers (.458 Mag, .416 Taylor and .470 Capstick...). But these cartridges are a far cry from the pressures of a .338 LM or some of the other new high-pressure cartridges this thread is discussing. There is also 'published' data for African 'solids' in most of these calibers as they date back decades. And solids are commonly in use in those cartridges. But it appears that 'solids' are not monolithics!

And so (despite being a pretty experienced reloader -- who is learning all the time)... I have some questions as I get into the new realm of .338 and monos.

I am interested in several posts in this thread indicating that the 'small bore' monolithics (and I presume that includes my .338) are generating significantly higher pressures than their jacketed counterparts of the same grain weight. And don't want to overcharge, even if I am not likely to go to maximum published loads. Also, I will have to check my new reloading manual, but I don't think it even has data for monolithics!

So is there a source or a formula that helps work out the charge for solids vs. jacketed rounds? Is there a specific loading manual or trustworthy Internet source? Should I start using a database or program like QuickLoad that I see above? Is there a thread here that I have not seen on Monos?

Obviously, this is new territory for my loading... and there is always more to learn. And blowed up guns are not something I want to experience. So any input or direction from folks here is much appreciated. Thanks @orkan and @Hoplite Arms Ammunition as well.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Contact the bullet manufacture they would be the best source of information.
You can go to the Lehigh Defense website and look at their data, while the bullets are not the same
as the ones you are using it can give you a reference.

I have used their 6.5mm match solids and they were easy to tune.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I own a Nuke action and always wondered about two things first is how well the toroidal locking lugs would
hold up to an extreme overpressure load. Seems we have a positive example of it passing that test. And second, in the case of a pierced primer what happens to the gas as there is no venting hole in the bolt.

I have a newer data file for Quickload, which has the Lehigh Controlled Chaos bullet in the library. The calculations in Quickload do not support a velocity of 4150 with 44gr of Varget. As you can see below, the 44gr charge gives an anticipated velocity of 3835 at a calculated 82,963 psi with a 22" barrel.

Step Fill. Charge Vel. Energy Pmax Pmuz Prop.Burnt B_Time
% % Grains fps ft.lbs psi psi % ms

+00.0 104 44.00 3835 2025 82963 13072 100.0 0.825 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

To get to 4150fps, I had to up the charge to 48.4gr of Varget.

+00.0 114 48.40 4154 2376 114393 13552 100.0 0.720 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

This should have been extremely obvious to anyone reloading; powder would be coming out of the case.

Reactions: jpndave
I have a newer data file for Quickload, which has the Lehigh Controlled Chaos bullet in the library. The calculations in Quickload do not support a velocity of 4150 with 44gr of Varget. As you can see below, the 44gr charge gives an anticipated velocity of 3835 at a calculated 82,963 psi with a 22" barrel.

To get to 4150fps, I had to up the charge to 48.4gr of Varget.

+00.0 114 48.40 4154 2376 114393 13552 100.0 0.720 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

This should have been extremely obvious to anyone reloading; powder would be coming out of the case.

These are with a Peterson case, but still. Some part of this doesn’t add up for me.

Attachments

• 6C48D3F4-83E2-4D0B-9404-B7C642D473AD.jpeg
    6C48D3F4-83E2-4D0B-9404-B7C642D473AD.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 51623028-7265-4D17-94AA-C81D93C17E23.jpeg
    51623028-7265-4D17-94AA-C81D93C17E23.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 83
The gun was salvageable, but the barrel, bolt, and stock were destroyed.

What was salvageable? The receiver?

Not without some serious inspection.......at a minimum
  • Full dimensional to drawing
  • Fluorescent penetrant inspection
May as well pay for magnetic particle and radiography as well.

My gut feel says it will fail at least one of those, rendering it as scrap.

I've heard of Blaser but dont know a lot about them. Is this a less robust design?
The 93 model was known for sending the bolt back at the shooters head when having overpressure failures. As a straight repeater is is very popular as an overpriced status symbol here in scandinavia. It is an overly complicated and less robust design that they have reinforced in the R8 despite refusing to admit there was a problem. I will never be caught with one as this particular failure would surely have killed the shooter in an R93

The 93 model was known for sending the bolt back at the shooters head when having overpressure failures. As a straight repeater is is very popular as an overpriced status symbol here in scandinavia. It is an overly complicated and less robust design that they have reinforced in the R8 despite refusing to admit there was a problem. I will never be caught with one as this particular failure would surely have killed the shooter in an R93
They certainly are expensive and the collet locking it doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. Not sure how common failures are but we don’t hear about them over here.

Reactions: Mr. Z
85,000psi and he didn’t suffer a scratch? proves god takes special care of children and fools.

Reactions: Hegre
They certainly are expensive and the collet locking it doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. Not sure how common failures are but we don’t hear about them over here.
You can import a Bat/Manners/carbon bartlein for the same money and their replacement barrels cost over 50% more than a chambered bartlein.

@orkan @Hoplite Arms Ammunition
The other day when I was arguing with you I went off half cocked. I'd only skimmed the thread and wrongly assumed that the barrel separated from the action during the the kaboom. Now looking closer I see that I was wrong, and therefore the basis of my argument was wrong also. My bad.

Shit happens man. I’m a master at coming off terrible in written word.

To get to 4150fps, I had to up the charge to 48.4gr of Varget....

Agreed, something else is going on there. Notice the pressure is near 115kpsi when you got the speed up to 4150fps. Maybe carbon ring? Tight bore? Copper fouling? I manipulated the case size and got a similar output.

What version of QuickLOAD are you using? I'd like that bullet file. Just upgraded too. Frustrating the way they do the upgrades...

I heard of an incident last October. A hunter hand loading ammo in preparation for an Elk hunt.
Accidentally loaded a 6.5 x 300 Weatherby Mark 5 with about 90gr of Norma 200 under a 140gr bullet and fired it.
As I understand it the front ring puffed up to the point where the locking lugs lost all engagement, the bolt was ejected shearing the bolt handle off, the bolt lodged into the shooters face next to his nose. The bolt smashed this guy's right cheek bone and plowed on finally stopping just short of his ear.
Luckily he lost no vision or hearing but did undergo reconstructive surgery on the cheek bone.

• Wow
Reactions: DIBBS
I blew up a rifle once with a load of my own.
New brass, very carefully loaded with exactly the right amount of power. (I checked the others, all right on) The loading manuals and Quickload showed the load to be hot but not maximum. The gun was salvageable, but the barrel, bolt, and stock were destroyed. I had/have shrapnel in my support hand and shoulder as well as the wall of my house from the case and bolt parts blown out the rear. Fortunately it was/is a DTA SRS-A1, and my face was not directly behind the bolt! I could not figure out why this happened. I checked everything, photographed every part, went over Quickload data and lost my confidence in my loading abilities. Then about a year later I was cleaning out the broken rifle parts, brass and powder from that incident and found the cause of the explosion. The can of powder that I used in those rounds was the right COLOR, but not the right NUMBER!
I could not believe I was stupid enough to do this! However, having found the reason for the mishap I was able to reload again with confidence in my process. And learned a valuable lesson on positive identification of components.
Maybe this can be of some help to others here.
The important part is you are alive, intact, and can admit you fucked up instead of placing blame somewhere else

Back in '95 working as a gunsmith for Dakota Arms I had a 416 Dakota blow up on me.
A Dakota proprietary round based on and improved 404 Jeffrey case necked to 416.
The line was loaded by Superior back in those days.
The plan was to file in, regulate the rifle for a 350gr Swift Aframe. Fine no problem.
Load up head to the range, get all set up front and rear rests etc. Do rough preliminary Nick in the rear blade, bore sight get an idea of where she's going to put it at 35yards.
Jump in behind, line her up and squeeze. And think "son of a bitty that was loud".
Well, as the gravity of what just took place set in. I realized it went Kaboom!!
Looking in amazement at Dakota 76 Safari that was basically blown in half at the magazine. My face was completely numb, I went to the mirror on the suburban to see if I still had a face. Face still there although leaking blood like little pin pricks around the edges of my safety glasses.....hmmmm ok well, go back look at the rifle, yes it's fucked. The claw extractor off the rifle may have became space junk as I never did find it in spite of looking for it repeatedly on other trips to that range.
General inspection back at the shop would reveal an extreme amount of set back, enough to fully engage the bolt handle root in its corresponding receiver cut and slightly bend the bolt handle......hmmmm....ok move on.
Further inspection of the ammunition revealed a load of 95gr of RL 12 under a 400gr Swift A-Frame. The ordered load 85gr of RL-22 Under a 350gr Swift A frame.
Yes, the Wiskey guzzling joker that worked as a pressman for superior was canned immediately, jeeeeeeezzze!!!!!

Be careful out there.

What was salvageable? The receiver?

Not without some serious inspection.......at a minimum
  • Full dimensional to drawing
  • Fluorescent penetrant inspection
May as well pay for magnetic particle and radiography as well.

My gut feel says it will fail at least one of those, rendering it as scrap.
Hate to disappoint you, the rifle has 600 plus rounds through it since the incident. It shoots .3 moa groups with hot loads in both 6.5 PRC and 338 LM. The barrels change and repeat as well as ever. The barrel and extension, bolt, and plastic skins were destroyed and replaced.

Hate to disappoint you, the rifle has 600 plus rounds through it since the incident. It shoots .3 moa groups with hot loads in both 6.5 PRC and 338 LM. The barrels change and repeat as well as ever. The barrel and extension, bolt, and plastic skins were destroyed and replaced.

Unfortunately that doesn’t mean the structural integrity was not damaged. It may be completely fine, or it may work until it doesn’t.

Without proper testing, you won’t know.

Unfortunately that doesn’t mean the structural integrity was not damaged. It may be completely fine, or it may work until it doesn’t.

Without proper testing, you won’t know.
Do you really know what kind of action we are talking about? The DTA SRS has a barrel and barrel extension, the bolt locks into the extension. New barrels with new extensions and bolts do all the work of containing the pressure. The aluminum extrusion receiver holds them in the proper orientation, but does not see the pressure of firing. Nothing to fail!

Do you really know what kind of action we are talking about? The DTA SRS has a barrel and barrel extension, the bolt locks into the extension. New barrels with new extensions and bolts do all the work of containing the pressure. The aluminum extrusion receiver holds them in the proper orientation, but does not see the pressure of firing. Nothing to fail!

I think I might know a thing or two about high pressure and receivers. It’s kinda our thing.

And I would never advise a customer to continue shooting one of our receivers after a high pressure event like you described. I’d rather either have it tested or just work out a way to get them a new one, rather than risk their safety.

You’re a free person, you can do what you want. But don’t tell everyone else you know it’s fine when in fact you don’t.

And using group size as a testament to receiver integrity is not a way to instill confidence in your knowledge of the subject.

Reactions: Hegre and gnochi

Carry on. I don't know shit from shinola about that topic..........

Reactions: gnochi
I think I might know a thing or two about high pressure and receivers. It’s kinda our thing.

And I would never advise a customer to continue shooting one of our receivers after a high pressure event like you described. I’d rather either have it tested or just work out a way to get them a new one, rather than risk their safety.

You’re a free person, you can do what you want. But don’t tell everyone else you know it’s fine when in fact you don’t.

And using group size as a testament to receiver integrity is not a way to instill confidence in your knowledge of the subject.
I have more experience in this area, and finite element analysis, than you know. In fact you should be careful to judge someone that you don't know. You could be proven quite foolish.
I do not know you, or your degree of expertise, and am not attempting to belittle your intelligence. And as you said, you are free to believe whatever you want.

I have more experience in this area, and finite element analysis, than you know. In fact you should be careful to judge someone that you don't know. You could be proven quite foolish.
I do not know you, or your degree of expertise, and am not attempting to belittle your intelligence. And as you said, you are free to believe whatever you want.

If you did, you wouldn’t be using round count and group size to describe the strength of an action after an over pressure scenario which destroyed the parts containing the pressure.

Reactions: Enbloc and gnochi

In this instance, I think the DT being referenced doesn’t play by the same rules as traditional receivers. I have quite a bit of experience with high pressure in DT’s… and the description he’s using is correct. The “receiver” in the DT’s are not like normal receivers.

Replacing the bolt, barrel, and extension is enough. I’m quite sure his new parts are just fine.

I think some are mistaking the action in this op of thread, for the one dragon is talking about. 😉

Last edited:
In this instance, I think the DT being referenced doesn’t play by the same rules as traditional receivers. I have quite a bit of experience with high pressure in DT’s… and the description he’s using is correct. The “receiver” in the DT’s are not like normal receivers.

Replacing the bolt, barrel, and extension is enough. I’m quite sure his new parts are just fine.

It may very well be. But none of us know if it is or not without testing it.

And using round count and group size to justify it is not the correct response.

It may very well be. But none of us know if it is or not without testing it.

And using round count and group size to justify it is not the correct response.
I’m pretty certain. Though if you haven’t worked with a DT, I can understand your comments.

Are you familiar with and worked with pressure testing in a Desert Tech? It is very unlike the things you’re presently working with.

Reactions: Dragoon300
I’m pretty certain. Though if you haven’t worked with a DT, I can understand your comments.

Are you familiar with and worked with pressure testing in a Desert Tech? It is very unlike the things you’re presently working with.

I wouldn’t be responding if not.

I wouldn’t be responding if not.
We’ll that’s good. What do you believe to be of concern? The aluminum receiver just doesn’t have much going on with it. I think it would be hard to argue that anyone has put a DT through more than I have… and I haven’t seen even the slightest dimension change in the receiver, no matter what I put one through.

Do you have some pics of damage or a measurement of some specific area of the chassis I can run comparisons with?

I’m not being argumentative or asking for the sake of it. It’s just that yours is the first I’ve heard of a DT chassis being damaged or even mildly stressed from an over-pressure event. Details would be of great interest.

Reactions: Dragoon300
We’ll that’s good. What do you believe to be of concern? The aluminum receiver just doesn’t have much going on with it. I think it would be hard to argue that anyone has put a DT through more than I have… and I haven’t seen even the slightest dimension change in the receiver, no matter what I put one through.

Do you have some pics of damage or a measurement of some specific area of the chassis I can run comparisons with?

I’m not being argumentative or asking for the sake of it. It’s just that yours is the first I’ve heard of a DT chassis being damaged or even mildly stressed from an over-pressure event. Details would be of great interest.

So, you’ve used either an oehler 85, copper crush, CIP and/or SAAMI pressure testing to verify your pressure?

After the over pressure events, have you had the receiver radiologically tested after verifying the dimensions on the drawings?

That’s how we test things on our end. So we can tell consumers exactly how much pressure can and can’t happen before their may be an issue. Some we do in house and others we send out.

If not, the rest is anecdotal.

If I remember correctly this is exactly what @308pirate does for a living.

Reactions: Hegre