• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buddies 22 creed blew up…. Any ideas

I know there's a pressure differential between jacketed and solids.
I'm puzzled about the posts stating this was an obvious and "stupid" overcharge at 80 to over 100 KPSI.

Now, I know a 60 Sierra HP isn't a 62 grain solid- but Hodgdon's reloading data, which I've always regarded as conservative- shows 44.2 grains Varget as max load w/velocity of near 3900 and pressure under 60 KPSI.

View attachment 7760486

WTF am I missing here?
6mm data, bullet length, bullet material, etc etc

It's around 80-90 psi on quickload depending on what you use as a bullet (I used a barnes ttsx just for shit and giggles) and what you use as case capacity.

Reactions: HOOFER
Probably seats them .01 off the lands with his proficiency give or take a few thou.

I guess I used proficient too loosely.

He has some room for improvement hahah
I would never get to cocky and say it could never happen to me. Things happen. This dude was being deliberate, but I some how mixed up a remington 22-250 case in with my lot of Winchester cases. I shot the rifle, it was louder and felt more recoil, I had to hammer the bolt open and the primer was gone. I haven’t even shot remington 22-250 ammo so I don’t know how I ended up with it, probably a range pick up.

Shot it in what?

I fireform 22-250 into 22 creed all the time

Last edited:
I guess I used proficient too loosely.

What I meant was About as proficient as LEOs are with handguns…

He has some room for improvement.

Shot it in what?

I fireform 22-250 into 22 creed all the time
This was just a plain 22-250, the rem brass must have had less capacity, I almost 100% certain the less capacity was culprit. First and last time I messed up, knock on wood.

6mm data, bullet length, bullet material, etc etc

It's around 80-90 psi on quickload depending on what you use as a bullet (I used a barnes ttsx just for shit and giggles) and what you use as case capacity.

I need a nap...I don't know where I got 6 Creed from when it clearly says 22 in the thread title.
I'll STFU now...

44 grains Varget underneath a 175 SMK in a 308 case (M118LR Brass) is my go to round, or at least a starting point, for 1,000 yard steel plinking rounds in my 308's, I would think that the same charge in a lower capacity cartridge, smaller diameter bore, albeit a bullet about half the weight would be a very stout load.

44 grains Varget underneath a 175 SMK in a 308 case (M118LR Brass) is my go to round, or at least a starting point, for 1,000 yard steel plinking rounds in my 308's, I would think that the same charge in a lower capacity cartridge, smaller diameter bore, albeit a bullet about half the weight would be a very stout load.
If the op is any indication, your suspicions would be correct.

I remember Chad Dixon posting up a rifle where a guy used a fast burn powder vs slow in a .338 Lapua.

Was epic.

Do not remember the complete story.

@LongRifles Inc. - can you expound?

I remember Chad Dixon posting up a rifle where a guy used a fast burn powder vs slow in a .338 Lapua.

Was epic.

Do not remember the complete story.

@LongRifles Inc. - can you expound?

When you bring dynamite to a firecracker fight. . .

This was a tale of multiple Chargemasters on a bench. We finished the gun, he races back across the state to enjoy a very narrow break in the winter weather and overlooked what powder was loaded in one of his CM's. A brand new rifle he'd saved up for over a year to build. -Gone in a "click".

Bummer deal.

If memory serves me correctly he gassed it up with Varget instead of H1000. It ended about like anyone here could imagine.

Buddy was doing some load testing.. “very proficient reloader”. 🙃

My first thought was a double charge of powder.. or an overage.

He Was shooting 44 grains of Varget which he had shot previously… with no pressure signs.

Bullet hit gong. So I think it rules out an obstruction.

Sheared extractor off bolt and case head separation? Brass failure?

Brass was twice fired copper creek 22 creed brass.

62 grain controlled chaos bullets.

Criterion barrel

Luckily the action contained all the shrapnel and he just got a wake up call and a little fire ball.

Gun had 200 rounds through it.
Now, I don’t shoot a .22 Creedmoor yet but 44gr Varget in a Creedmoor case with a bore that small sounds like a whole bunch to me. In my 6.5 Creedmoors with 130s, 40gr is getting mighty warm…

John

The ol butter knife technique, fill the case full and wipe the top off.
89EC5837-BCEB-4ABD-841C-794F45541C28.jpeg

That looks classic for a case head separation secondary to either excessive headspace vs. setting the shoulder back after each shot resulting in a bright ring forming (incipient brass failure) just above the base, eventual case failure.

I've seen quite a few case head separations. None of them were eventful in any way.

You may be correct. I've only seen evidence of other's case failures. One firearm destroyed, thumb amputated secondary to partial barrel obstruction.

Like 85k PSI in regular brass.

I think @brianf may be knowing things about brass designed for high pressures.

Just sayin….

This was a moron reloading. Thats what caused this.
Too much powder, KABOOM.

• Love
Reactions: BoltRunner
Thanks for that! I about fell out of my chair laughing! Might need to borrow that one in the future.

I did a run in QuickLOAD with 22 creed, 44gr VARGET, 26" barrel, 2.6 COAL, used a Barnes 62gr as that's the only solid I seen in that range. To get the 4150fps case size is ~47gr H2O. So here's the kicker, pressure = speed more or less. To get that speed in those parameters, it's kicking out 103k+ PSI!

The fact that you got as many out of is as he did and then walked away from it is a pretty awesome advertisement for the toughness of the parts both in that Alpha brass and the rifle itself. No way regular parts pull that off.

The fact that you got as many out of is as he did and then walked away from it is a pretty awesome advertisement for the toughness of the parts both in that Alpha brass and the rifle itself. No way regular parts pull that off.

Yeah I told him… any factory action he might not be doing so well…

To be fair. Any other brass I think he would of hit “normal” pressure signs and stopped…

I didn’t know alpha brass didn’t show pressure signs either…

I also don’t just keep going…. For the hell of it..

I think he learned 😂😂

Reactions: DH302
Yeah I told him… any factory action he might not be doing so well…

To be fair. Any other brass I think he would of hit “normal” pressure signs and stopped…

I didn’t know alpha brass didn’t show pressure signs either…

I also don’t just keep going…. For the hell of it..

I think he learned 😂😂
How does alpha brass not show pressure? Is it not brass? Sounds like more internet BS.

Something you could check, if you have the tools, use a dial indicator, an adapter to the case head, (got mine from Mike Bellm's T/C website), a case gauge, a no-go gauge and measure one of the rounds that you haven't fired yet. It could be that the case is shorter than SAAMI mimimum. If this is the case, the first firing will cause lots of stretch in the case. If you then size it down all the way again, it will undergo the same excessive stretch. If the headspace in these cases is too much, you'll get head separation quickly, two firings might get you there. The no-go gauge will tell you where the bolt face is, in relation to any cartridge case. The no-go gauge will tell you where the bolt face is in relation to ANY brass you load. You'll always know the headspace and you can control that, in the sizing step. Assuming your bolt will not close on the no-go gauge, try sizing a case .001" shorter, and so on, until it closes on one. Then you'll know where the bolt face is in relation to any case head, SAAMI max., min., or anywhere else. If you have short cases from the factory, be ready for trouble, maybe even on your first firing. Flattened, cratered, or blown primers are a sure sign. Glad you guys weren't hurt.

Damn is right. That looks like the brass in the middle with the case head just about gone.

You can't double charge, I don't reload 22 Creed (I do 22x47) which is close. I use 40.5g of 4451 in it. 44g of VARGET does seem a bit spicy.
I agree Mucho caliente

How does alpha brass not show pressure? Is it not brass? Sounds like more internet BS.
It will show it, just later and at higher pressures than softer junk brass. Doesn't mean it isn't still there. You don't just double up and assume all is fine. @orkan has done testing with this exact brass and it is pretty top notch stuff. Pretty sure Hornady wouldn't make it close to the 100K(ish) pressure this is failing at.

The brass case adds almost nothing to the steel barrels ability to contain thousands of PSI.

You’re taking this out of context. And also not correct either. Barrels will handle pretty much anything you throw at them. The only part that matters with the barrel is if the chamber walls expand enough to allow the brass to oversize and become an extraction problem.

Brass is the pressure vessel. It has to fail before anything else can. If the brass doesn’t fail, the pressure doesn’t damage anything else.

As far as high pressure ammunition, it’s extremely simple to build actions and part out of stronger material. It’s literally just money and time.

Brass is the weak link and no matter how strong your parts are, if the case head blows off, you have problems.

Better cases is the future.

I use 39.5 in my rifle lol. Right chamber though. My other 308 runs 41.5 and both run just under 2600fps.

Just out of curiosity I ran it through Quickload and it's 12,000 psi over pressure, now I don't care what brass or action you use if your familiar with the theory of failure that load is only going to have one end result KABOOM !

Just out of curiosity I ran it through Quickload and it's 12,000 psi over pressure, now I don't care what brass or action you use if your familiar with the theory of failure that load is only going to have one end result KABOOM !

Also not true. If you use casings and materials able to contain the pressure, it works.

“Over Pressure” is based on SAAMI and/or CIP which was developed for common components generally used by most people. This is what quick load is based on.

Once you change the material holding the pressure, the max pressure possible before failure also changes.

Obviously in this particular situation, the pressure was too much. But max pressure in quick load doesn’t translate to everything.

We need more videos of this guy at that range. If OP can get them, he will have the next YouTube sensation.

I can't wait for his cross caliber event where he shoots .300 BO out of a 5.56.

I don't load 22CM, but if I did, I wouldn't be running .308 size charges of Varget through it.

Last edited:
I blew up a rifle once with a load of my own.
New brass, very carefully loaded with exactly the right amount of power. (I checked the others, all right on) The loading manuals and Quickload showed the load to be hot but not maximum. The gun was salvageable, but the barrel, bolt, and stock were destroyed. I had/have shrapnel in my support hand and shoulder as well as the wall of my house from the case and bolt parts blown out the rear. Fortunately it was/is a DTA SRS-A1, and my face was not directly behind the bolt! I could not figure out why this happened. I checked everything, photographed every part, went over Quickload data and lost my confidence in my loading abilities. Then about a year later I was cleaning out the broken rifle parts, brass and powder from that incident and found the cause of the explosion. The can of powder that I used in those rounds was the right COLOR, but not the right NUMBER!
I could not believe I was stupid enough to do this! However, having found the reason for the mishap I was able to reload again with confidence in my process. And learned a valuable lesson on positive identification of components.
Maybe this can be of some help to others here.

New brass, very carefully loaded with exactly the right amount of power. (I checked the others, all right on) The loading manuals and Quickload showed the load to be hot but not maximum. The gun was salvageable, but the barrel, bolt, and stock were destroyed. I had/have shrapnel in my support hand and shoulder as well as the wall of my house from the case and bolt parts blown out the rear. Fortunately it was/is a DTA SRS-A1, and my face was not directly behind the bolt! I could not figure out why this happened. I checked everything, photographed every part, went over Quickload data and lost my confidence in my loading abilities. Then about a year later I was cleaning out the broken rifle parts, brass and powder from that incident and found the cause of the explosion. The can of powder that I used in those rounds was the right COLOR, but not the right NUMBER!
I could not believe I was stupid enough to do this! However, having found the reason for the mishap I was able to reload again with confidence in my process. And learned a valuable lesson on positive identification of components.

Faded can of 4198 in place of 4350?

How in the name of all that is holy did you blow up a DT to the point where it damaged it? I couldn't do it, even with a full 338LM case of pistol powder and a 285 hornady jammed into the lands.

A DT was used to test the new Alpha OCD brass, and I filled a 22CM case with H4350 to the top of the neck. Right at 47grs. I then crushed a 75gr ELDM on top, jammed into the lands about 40 thousandths. That 75gr eldm pulled almost 4,000 fps. Ejected the case just fine. No significant damage to the case. I didn't even keep it, because it looked like I could easily load it again. lol

For those without much experience with fast 22cals. ... a 22-243AI can't even do that. Not even close.

Yet just as I always say, the pressure is there... and you can't be trying to convert cartridges into other cartridges. They are what they are. They do what they do.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube

You’re taking this out of context. And also not correct either. Barrels will handle pretty much anything you throw at them. The only part that matters with the barrel is if the chamber walls expand enough to allow the brass to oversize and become an extraction problem.

Brass is the pressure vessel. It has to fail before anything else can. If the brass doesn’t fail, the pressure doesn’t damage anything else.

As far as high pressure ammunition, it’s extremely simple to build actions and part out of stronger material. It’s literally just money and time.

Brass is the weak link and no matter how strong your parts are, if the case head blows off, you have problems.

Better cases is the future.
So if you shot chambered a barrel so only the neck and shoulder could fit, then somehow locked a bolt behind it and fired, how much pressure could the unsupported case body take? Not much. That's why OOB detonations are always spicy, a cartridge case of any material not fully surrounded by a chamber/bolt can't take shit. Just like the head gasket in your car, on it's own it's worthless, it needs to be sandwiched to take the pressure it does, but the combustion chamber is taking most of it. A cartridge case is a gasket, not a pressure chamber. This is why we can have case head separations and split necks all day and nothing blows up, even the the brass failed to seal the chamber.
The opposite end of this is if you dropped a bullet into the throat, dumped powder in, glued a primer onto the bolt face, closed it and fired. You know, kinda like a muzzle loader works. It wouldn't work right but it wouldn't blow up, because the chamber, not the brass, takes the pressure. The refined version of this is caseless ammunition, so it's not just a theory.
If you have enough to pressure to blow up a gun and the brass does (will) fail in the process, don't blame the brass.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallDodge
So if you shot chambered a barrel so only the neck and shoulder could fit, then somehow locked a bolt behind it and fired, how much pressure could the unsupported case body take? Not much. That's why OOB detonations are always spicy, a cartridge case of any material not fully surrounded by a chamber/bolt can't take shit. Just like the head gasket in your car, on it's own it's worthless, it needs to be sandwiched to take the pressure it does, but the combustion chamber is taking most of it. A cartridge case is a gasket, not a pressure chamber.
The opposite end of this is if you dropped a bullet into the throat, dumped powder in, glued a primer onto the bolt face, closed it and fired. You know, kinda like a muzzle loader works. It wouldn't work right but it wouldn't blow up, because the chamber, not the brass, takes the pressure. The refined version of this is caseless ammunition, so it's not just a theory.
If you have enough to pressure to blow up a gun and the brass does (will) fail in the process, don't blame the brass.
Academically you're at least partially correct... but what @Hoplite Arms Ammunition is saying is that the barrel isn't the thing to blow up... until it is.

Reactions: 308pirate
Yeah, I agree, but to keep using pressure analogies, if my truck makes 100psi of boost and I lift the head off of it, it's not the gaskets fault for no longer containing that pressure.
In what actual use situation would what you describe ever be a reality?

Don't forum posters ever get tired of being academically correct in a theoretical situation instead of learning how to advance themselves in this discipline?

Some of you REALLY need to evaluate your goals.

In what actual use situation would what you describe ever be a reality?
The reality is when a guy has enough pressure to blow up a rifle and people in this thread are talking about brass strength like more or less of it would've created a different end result. I even mentioned a real world kind of rifle/ammo that handles pressure and has no cartridge case.

Or the head gasket thing? Happens all the time.

The reality is when a guy has enough pressure to blow up a rifle and people in this thread are talking about brass strength like more or less of it would've created a different end result. I even mentioned a real world kind of rifle/ammo that handles pressure and has no cartridge case.

Or the head gasket thing? Happens all the time.

It’s enough pressure to blow up *that* rifle.

The brass matters when the rifle is strong enough to handle the pressure. Our receivers can handle well over 100k psi repeatedly. But you need cases (not necessarily brass) that can handle that. Otherwise you can’t take advantage of the receiver material.

You took a quote out of context. He didn’t say the brass would have kept that rifle from blowing up.

In your analogy, if your engine parts were able to withstand the pressure, but the gaskets can’t…..then the parts don’t matter.

Last edited: