• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Buffalo Hunting?

LanceS4803

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2011
Middle TN
As I didn't draw any UT tags this year, and have my vacation time already set aside, has anyone hunted buffalo on a game farm?
(It will be a minimum of another 10 years before I "might" have a chance at a wild buffalo in UT.)
I don't want a high fence, go shoot the tame animal hunt. Ideally, it would be on one of the Indian Reservations with 50,000 acres, but over the years I haven't made any of those draws either.
MO and SD seem to have a lot of large ranches with herds.
Anyone ever done this?

Montana has some pretty good Buffalo hunting. I am trying to get in on one here in the next year or 2. Do you want a buff for meat? A big trophy?

Wild herds are only in a few states, all requiring very good luck in a drawing. I am half way there on the Utah roster (10 points), just have to outlive everyone else!
I'm looking for both meat and trophy.
I still think I will ultimately have the best luck with an Indian reservation hunt, but am seeing some private reserves that are over 70,000 acres.

As I didn't draw any UT tags this year, and have my vacation time already set aside, has anyone hunted buffalo on a game farm?
(It will be a minimum of another 10 years before I "might" have a chance at a wild buffalo in UT.)
I don't want a high fence, go shoot the tame animal hunt. Ideally, it would be on one of the Indian Reservations with 50,000 acres, but over the years I haven't made any of those draws either.
MO and SD seem to have a lot of large ranches with herds.
Anyone ever done this?

most places around sd that have them that you hunt they are in a large pasture and you sneak up and shoot one. Its not high fence but with a rifle not hard. If you want some more challenge use a bow even though they are kind of not wild it still is a rush getting in that close and there is always that chance they will charge.

I'm from ut. You can hunt buffalo on the ute Indian Res for around 1000 for a cow and 4500 for a management bull(whatever that is). The trophy bulls are 8500 I think. Numbers are off the top of my head so might not be right, but if you just want to shoot one to eat and have it free ranging its not really that bad of deal.(for the cow)

I'm from ut. You can hunt buffalo on the ute Indian Res for around 1000 for a cow and 4500 for a management bull(whatever that is). The trophy bulls are 8500 I think. Numbers are off the top of my head so might not be right, but if you just want to shoot one to eat and have it free ranging its not really that bad of deal.(for the cow)

Management bulls are maybe 3-5 years old and not great specimens. Trophy bulls tend to be around 10 years old or better. I am looking at blasting a 3 year old myself. I want the meat and the hide. I will have a Buffalo hide jacket like Anthony Hopkins in Legends of the Fall. Gonna end up costing around 3000$ for it but its worth it.

I've been in contact with a ranch that has free ranging buffalo (80,000 acres). They said that after a period of time the older bulls become very aggressive and harmful to younger bulls. These older ones aren't able to be corralled and transported to other farms and there is really no other way to deal with them other than harvest.

The Ute tribe is also a draw system. Limited numbers for non-tribal members. Just for nostalgia, it would be great to hunt buffalo on a Reservation.

You know if some peoples ancestors hadn't hunted them to the point of exstinction there would be no need for paying to hunt them now. Just saying. Dont get me wrong i have no issue with hunting what so ever. I just find the whole idea of paying to hunt distastefull. I do understand some tribes need for money but that is a completly diffrent subject all together. i just feel very strongly about things of this nature. image.jpg

You know if some peoples ancestors hadn't hunted them to the point of exstinction there would be no need for paying to hunt them now. Just saying. Dont get me wrong i have no issue with hunting what so ever. I just find the whole idea of paying to hunt distastefull. I do understand some tribes need for money but that is a completly diffrent subject all together. i just feel very strongly about things of this nature. View attachment 39775

Some people's? If the Buffalo hadn't been all hunted off it would have been impossible to develop and farm the great plains. Progress has claimed many a victim.

I think its only called progress when you aren't the ones rounded up and put on reservations, after your primary food source has been hunted to almost extinction for no other reason than sport. I don't see starving women and children as a very proud way of making progress. But I'm not trying to ruin the thread here just thought i would add a differing perspective thats all.

Last edited:
I think its only called progress when you aren't the ones rounded up and put on reservations, after your primary food source has been hunted to almost extinction for no other reason than sport. I don't see starving women and children as a very proud way of making progress. But I'm not trying to ruin the thread here just thought i would add a differing perspective thats all.

I am of Irish decent. Please tell me all about having your ancestors run off their land, massacred, left to starve.

I'm not arguing with you about it at all there bud just stating an opinion. No need to get hostile. Also I didn't state that as a way of looking for some kind of apology from anyone. My point is that it is sad that such a beautiful creature has been so hunted in the past that it has ruined the opportunity for future generations. I would love nothing more than for my children to be able to hunt them at my side. I just think it is to bad that the only opportunity now comes with a price tag. I would offer to have a drink with you to settle our differnces but my kind don't handle alcohol so well. Just kidding ps my wife is irish red hair and all.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

No hard feelings man, most everyone was shit on by the WASP's at one time or another. Hunting everywhere these days is nothing but a revenue generator, it doesn't matter if its Buffalo, mule deer or elk. I am not against people making money, it just sucks that I have to fight with non residents over hunting spaces or pay a big fat land use fee to hunt the ranches.

Comparing hunting of today to the slaughter of yester year is not fair. I must be lucky as i have yet to have to pay any one to hunt unless you count branding every weekend and fixing fence in the summer as payment

I must be lucky as i have yet to have to pay any one to hunt unless you count branding every weekend and fixing fence in the summer as payment

That's the BEST way to get to hunt a piece of property. Win/Win for the owner and hunter.
I seem to get the hay baling duty, myself.

Assuming you don't work over the road 340 days a year. I used to date girls with fathers that owned farm land or ranch land. Once you meet papa, bring him some good whiskey and listen to his stupid stories you are a good old boy.

Mac08, well played Sir! That is the rifle that a buffalo deserves to be knocked down with, a rifle with soul.

He was a 3 1/2 year old bull. The rifle is a Shiloh 1874 40-70 Sharps straight. loaded with 66 grains of ffg and a 30:1 lead postel bullet. Killed in 2011 in Sandhills NE.

Custer State Park, Custer SD auctions excess buffalo every year, buy one turn it loose in your back pasture and hunt it. Those suckers arnt tame be a long shot.

That was my plan one year. Bought the sucker for $650, when they loaded him in the trailer I thought I might have bit off more then I could chew. Lucky to have a trailer left when I got him home. When I cross over the cattle guard into the yard my wife and granddaughter comes out to inspect it.

They decide he's hungry so they start stuffing hay into the trailer. The buff went bananas. I had a change of heart (my faint heart). I figured if I let him out of the trailer I'd be fixing fences forever.

So I park the trailer inside my arena (better fences) and call my neighbor, my taxidermist, to come show me where to shoot it so I wont hurt the mount. He comes over and I get ready to shoot him with a rifle. He says, no, use a pistol, less chance of busting up the head. OK he knows more about it then me so I stick my Model 28 in the trailer and bounced a 357 round off his forehead.

You never seen a mad buffalo until you bounce a 357 off his head. Suckers really pissed now. Screw this, I start for the rifle and my neighbor, who is now rolling around laughing his ass off, says no, draw an imaginary line from the base of each horn to the opposite eye, creating a X, I do this and sure enough he goes down.

I pull him out of the trailer with a tractor and take a picture with my Remington Rolling Block in 44-90 Bottle Neck, so I'll have a story for the grand kids. Thing is the real story is better then what I could make up.

Buffalo.jpg

Lance, check out High Adventure Ranch in MO. I'm going to book a 3 yo bull hunt for Pop and myself to fill the old freezer with non-feed lot meat source. They are almost 100% grass fed this time of year.

It's close enough to Louisiana, for me to grab Pops a trailer and a freezer & haul booty north. Pop's isn't so mobile anymore, but I'm going to try to put him on my Rem Model 1 45-70 high block for a nostalgic run. It's an 1882 original, so I thought it'd be kinda cool for the old man.

Cheers,
Breeze