• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

buffer weight and ejector swipes

pby5cat

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2012
Agoura Hills, California
So I just got my SLR adjustable gas block working and that didn't solve my ejector swipes. So Im going to get a heaver buffer to delay the bolt opening. I have a LR308 DPMS pattern chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor using an A2 buttstock. I am currently using a DPMS LR308 buffer weight and spring.

Can I add weights from one LR308 buffer weight to another?

Or do i need to by a slash heavy buffer?

So I just got my SLR adjustable gas block working and that didn't solve my ejector swipes. So Im going to get a heaver buffer to delay the bolt opening. I have a LR308 DPMS pattern chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor using an A2 buttstock. I am currently using a DPMS LR308 buffer weight and spring.

Can I add weights from one LR308 buffer weight to another?

Or do i need to by a slash heavy buffer?

First and foremost...how did you go about adjusting the gas block? I only ask because I have seen improperly adjusted ones still function in a manner that will cause overgassing, along with the failures like what you are experiencing.

Second...you CAN add weight to a buffer, but the problem is one of needing heavier materials that will fit in the limited space inside the buffer body that will give you the addt'l weight over the standard setup. There isn't room to just "add in" an addt'l weight from a spare buffer if that's what you were thinking about trying to do. You can use high-density tungsten power, sealed in place, if you want to get spendy, or you can use lead (likely need to pour it in as liquid and let it harden up in the buffer body to get weight up where you want it). Frankly, I've never seen much use or cost-effectiveness in modding a buffer as what you are proposing because its time-consuming and, at least to an extent, somewhat costly in and of itself (especially if opting for the HD Tungsten powder route). The Slash buffers are really the best option even though that aren't cheap.

Finally, the other option to consider is a carrier weight system like those from available Tubbs for one example, which can add ~4oz more weight to the bolt carrier and buy you a bit more time locked up as it slows cycling down at least somewhat. YMMV! See here: Tubb Precision AR-15 Carrier Weight System weight

Good luck!

So if you add this weight, as it returns home does it not cause more stress on the parts that stop this added mass.

The total volume of gas needed would do more for timing than the amount of flow would, if air flow is reduced down & then back up, it will speed up. Venturi

The total volume of gas needed would do more for timing than the amount of flow would, if air flow is reduced down & then back up, it will speed up. Venturi

Could you clarify that? We are talking about momentum here, unlock comes from the mass of all the gas particles multiplied by their respective speeds, so if you significantly reduce the flow of gas, the speed increase may not supersede it, but I get the feeling I am completely glossing over your point. The venturi effect here would likely be overshadowed by the increased bore pressure from the impedance of adj gas block valve. But then again, I'm not a chemical engineer.