• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Built my own steel target... (UPDATED-TESTED)

Re: Built my own steel target... (UPDATED-TESTED)

this is what we made to shoot its not the best pic but its all i got just a steel frame with spikes on the bottom to stick in the ground crap if the ground is to hard but was our 1st design worked a treet for a days shooting we made about 5 of them with all different types of steel i will get some more pics soon
30092010001.jpg

Re: Built my own steel target... (DIY-Pic heavy)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks M. How tall is your center post that is holding your target? Did you have any problems with the target shifting when it was shot? </div></div>

The center post is about 4 feet long, and when placed in the base it stands about 4.5 feet.

The target does not shift at all when shot. It does rock or swing a little but never moves out of position. The size and weight of the base keeps the target right where you put it. (note the base is not all that heavy, the H design makes it very stable.)

I sent you a few pics of some of the targets I bought, similar in your design, but should help with some of the things going on with your setup.

tig welding the ar500 to the post will have less effect on the temper. also preheating would help. like when you mig cast material.

How much does the base weigh? I just bought everything in aluminum thinking your base was in excess of 100 lbs.. now I think I just wasted $80 in aluminum since your base moves a little bit and its completely steel..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much does the base weigh? I just bought everything in aluminum thinking your base was in excess of 100 lbs.. now I think I just wasted $80 in aluminum since your base moves a little bit and its completely steel.. </div></div>

I'm guessing my base weighs about 30-35 lbs tops. it's very manageable.

I wouldn't use aluminum, it's hard to weld and will definitely bend under the long term abuse a target endures. The lead spray alone will shred an aluminum base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent you a few pics of some of the targets I bought, similar in your design, but should help with some of the things going on with your setup. </div></div>

Yes thanks. I really like the design. The angled main post is great for deflecting impacts to the support beam.

Do you mind if I post the pics you sent so people can see other designs?

SHITTTTTT. Anyone want to buy aluminum? LOL

I guess Im going to go back to the scrap yard tomorrow and get everything in steel.. For the frame part that will be laying on the ground, I am going to go with a 1"x3" metal tubing. Hopefully a more "foot print" will keep it sturdy and not rock or budge when shot..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much does the base weigh? I just bought everything in aluminum thinking your base was in excess of 100 lbs.. now I think I just wasted $80 in aluminum since your base moves a little bit and its completely steel.. </div></div>

I'm guessing my base weighs about 30-35 lbs tops. it's very manageable.

I wouldn't use aluminum, it's hard to weld and will definitely bend under the long term abuse a target endures. The lead spray alone will shred an aluminum base. </div></div>

TAG, Lots of good ideas and design here, I'm gonna save this post for a little later when I build mine.

If you have a friend who can weld it, your looking at about $50. for the steel. Dont be like me and buy aluminum lol.. It didnt dawn on me that the shrapnel from the rounds would shred the the aluminum. Now I have over $100 in aluminum that is useless..
Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TAG, Lots of good ideas and design here, I'm gonna save this post for a little later when I build mine. </div></div>

krm375 sent me some pics of the target stand he has. This thing is a great setup. I really like the way the base is designed, light and effective. I like the efficient use of metal and having the main post on a diagonal to deflect rounds.

The only caveat is I wouldn't recommend welding anything to the A500 target back unless this is a pistol caliber only target. Using rifle rounds on it will probably chip away at the opposite sides of the weld, like mine did.

IMGP1983.jpg

Nice forward lean

IMGP1985.jpg

IMGP1989.jpg

IMGP1991.jpg

Believe it or not, I made a hanging stand out of PVC for my 8" plates. They work, and if/when the legs or a cross-beam get fragged out or shot, I just stick another buck of PVC in the hole and keep shooting. Nice and light and they break down. Angles the steel down by hanging it from chain, and get a nice report from the hit.

Very good information! Thanks for sharing so others can learn from your experience. Might have to lear to weld now...