• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Built myself a firepit and seating areas - Pics.

krecon1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2003
Abq, NM
Built a firepit and seating area out back - thought I'd share the pics during the progress. Final step is to cut and cap off the seats with flagstone. Less than $500 in materials.

Proper PPE
DSC044361.JPG

After tracing out the area I'm cutting the Arizona moss rock for the base of the main seats.
DSC04433.JPG

Main seating area all stacked.
DSC044391.JPG

Rock is cut for the base of the firepit.
DSC04441.JPG

Firepit going up.
DSC044431.JPG

Basse of second seating area going in.
DSC044462.JPG

Seating area base comnplete.
DSC04451.JPG

Everything installed - time to cap the seating areas.
FP22.jpg

Re: Built myself a firepit and seating areas - Pics.

looks good! i foresee some good times down the road, around the pit. =)

Nice job. I think I would have left off the fourth row of stone on the pit itself, but that just personal preference.

Nice job it looks great. I'm sure there will be many great times spent by the fire.

Looks great, feel bad for your saw though. I personally wouldn't have gone so high with the fire-pit bricks (I would have stopped at 2 levels) but that's just my inner pyro talking.

Very nice - have you worked with rock before or is it somewhat of a do-it-yourself kind of project?

That's great! Very good idea.

Wow...Excellent work!!! That should bring you plenty of years of enjoyment!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job. I think I would have left off the fourth row of stone on the pit itself, but that just personal preference. </div></div>

I agree with you on that one, I built the same fire pit in my backyard with a slightly lighter colored stone, left mine 3 high, just personal preference though. Your build looks great, I didn't put any stone seating around mine, but now you have my brain ticking.

looks great,as with others, i would have kept the fire pit to 3 high, did you leave an opening at the bottom to clean out the ashes ? my friend found an old cast iron stove and used the ash door in his pit.

keep up the good work !!!

I placed the pit at three high and four high and decided to keep it four high for two reasons: (1) Our little one can't reach in at four high and (2) It keeps the fire a little more contained - for how dry it is around here that is a good thing.

I lined the bottom with river rocks and will probably have a steel insert/liner made so I can just lift it out and dump the ashes.

Capping the seating area is going to take some effort cutting, matching, and mortaring in the stone. I'll also gain 2-3" in height so we'll still be looking down into the pit stacked at four high.

Very good work, but I hope you are planning on having small fires. When I make a bonfire most people cannot get within 6-8 feet of it due to the heat.

That turned out really good. You should have plenty of good times around that.

I was just in your neck of the woods last week.

Looks good. Also, more importantly, looks like you can shoot a long way in your back yard!

Looks great. I can see myself sitting around the fire and roasting hot dogs and marshmallows with the kids. I really enjoy weenie roasts with the kids. One of life's simple pleasures !! Tom.

Very nice work! Definetely a warm place to hang out on those cold evenings!
grin.gif