• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bulk Swaging

Herb Stoner

Public Nuisance
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Two Places at Once
I have accumulated a bunch of .223 brass I want to load for my SIL - mostly practice / plinking rather than precision loading. Its mixed brass and has a good bit of crimped brass in there. I've never dealt with crimped brass previously and want to see what the best option would be.

I recently acquired a Dillon XL750 - is there an option with that? I saw the Swage It but heard it voids the warranty? Does it really damage the press? I saw Armanov makes one for the 650. I like their stuff but didn't see one for the 750 - anyone know if they make one?

My thought with the 750 would be to decap, swage and size in one run before trimming as needed so I have brass that's ready to go. Any issue with the mixed brass going through the whole process including the uncrimped brass - or do I really need to sort the crimped / uncrimped brass first?

The Dillon SS has been recommended but I'd rather "automate" the process if possible.

I also have a couple of single stage presses if there is a better option that using one of those.

Any other options to automate the swaging process or just suck it up and do it manually with a Dillon SS or other tool?

I have a dillon swage tool that works great. I don't use it a lot but when I have needed it it's been a life saver.

I've tried everything from trimming the crimps to whatever, but the Dillon crimp remover works best.

I hate to say it but for this operation automation is not a good option as far as I know. Lots of brass has very loose primer pockets but they get crimped in there and glued so they work--the first time. I've found that if you over do it even a little bit you can ruin brass.

I have a primer pocket checker (the go-no-go gauge) and the dillon swager. It's not a fast process but once you are done you are done. Once you get into a groove you can do quite a lot of brass.

My experience says don't rush that particular process though. It might not turn out as well as you think.

I have used the Dillon super swage, and the rcbs press mounted system. Both work well. The Dillon can be pretty fast once you get in a groove, I usually save up a bunch of brass and knock it out sitting in front of the t.v.

Reactions: sinister
I prefer to cut the crimps out with a drill and a crimp remover, but I'm rarely doing more than 100 at a go.

Some 3rd party parts makers make kits for the 650/750, they put a lot of extra strain on the shell plate because its forcing the brass onto the swedge rod and bending the shell plate up, The shell plate in not made for this stress and will fatigue and get damaged. Im sure some have had good luck with it, but i wont use it. I use the Dillion SS. Run my brass though 650, size and trim, then chamfer/deburr and swedge, then back in the cleaner.

If you want a good fully automated system to get your brass sized, trimmed and swaged properly in one pass, sell the 750, and get a 1050.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
The Dillon SS with a spring attached is about the fastest and easiest way to accomplish this.
There are a few youtube videos out there with additional modifications, but the amount of time wasted is not worth while.
This is simple and not permanent as the spring is attached with zip ties.
Once swaged and you let go of the case, it springs back and flies off the rod so you will want to have a towel hanging over a box to collect brass.
It's actually pretty fast once you get going, but after a few thousand rounds, you'll wonder why the F you ever bought or picked up crimped brass!!
Best of luck!

Attachments

• 5B5AF984-4A2A-4003-9843-A6F3B02F52DC.jpeg
    5B5AF984-4A2A-4003-9843-A6F3B02F52DC.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 63
  • A268C362-2D5D-4807-8DAF-141B75DC089F.jpeg
    A268C362-2D5D-4807-8DAF-141B75DC089F.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I have found this CH4D to be the best tool I HAVE TRIED. Once adjusted, you don't have to make a full press stroke. You can short stroke it and swage cases at a very fast rate compared to other tools I've seen. I haven't had a Dillon to try though.

Reactions: Herb Stoner